Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,111 times

Advertisements

Hello, planning a move to Lex from Chicago at the end of the year. I work in the horse industry and as such am in Lexington several times a year, so I'm somewhat familiar with it . . . but most of that time is spent at farms and Horse Park so I'm a bit clueless on the downtown area.

Chicago's not for me, but I'm trying to ease the culture shock so focusing on the downtown area. Ideally, walking distance to shops/coffee/bars/restaurants (or biking) is where I'd want to be.

I'm self-employed and work from home, so no real commute restrictions. But here's the kicker, I'd really, really prefer to find a house to rent - not an apartment. Can I get some tips on areas/neighborhoods/streets of downtown to focus this search on?

I'm 30 something and (will be) single, with no interest in kids. So, I'm in-between the UK & soccer mom types: too old for frat parties, typically too wild for soccer moms. I do like to have a fairly good time so would love to hear about night life. I actually prefer backyard BBQs to closing down the bar at 2am, but figure I'm going to need to meet some people before the BBQ invitations start rolling in.

Any tips, advice? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
Walking distance? Pretty much means just Chevy Chase. If you're a little more earthy, maybe Kenwick.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Describe earthy - not a hippie, but definitely more casual than most. And I like to garden

Thanks! These are good search terms LEXpert. Would love to hear from others too

Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 PM

You'd probably like Kenwick. I've lived there twice. It is more of a Subaru Outback type of place than a BMW wagon. Chevy Chase is very nice too, but more of a BMW wagon. I am hoping not to offend anybody who may live in these areas since I have had a BMW wagon and my wife has an Outback :-)

There are other older neighborhoods, but if you want to walk to downtown, the best ones are on the east side of downtown. (Chevy Chase. Ashland Park, Kenwick, Mentelle Park, Bell Court, Melrose, Hollywood.)

What kind of price range for rent/buy were you thinking? Chevy Chase can be expensive!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM

You're getting my drift

I currently live in an old walk up in Wrigleyville (Chicago), so I'm used to hardwood floors, radiator heat, drafty windows, and drunk baseball fans milling about at all times of the day, all for about $900/mth.

I'm okay with pretty much all that, just not when it's "college style" . . . and I like the feel of an older neighborhood. Walking I guess isn't high on my list of priorities, i've just gotten fond of never seeing my car

More important is a house or neighborhood with character, nothing cookie-cutter or new and has a "hands off, don't touch" feeling. I do need one pretty large room for the office and like to have a backyard and deck or patio.

I may be able to go to $1000/mth as I'll be saving on pretty much all the other inflated expenses of chicago. Kenwick looked like the pickings were slim but I did like the 1 or 2 houses I saw. Chevy Chase doesn't really feel right Will check some of these other hoods and examine the east side.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 PM

LEXpert, do you assist with people finding rentals? (just noticed you're in real estate

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Ashland Park would work for you too. There are numerous 4 plexes; some nicer than others. Fun, eclectic neighborhood with a good mix of professionals, singles, families.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM

I do occasionally help people with rentals. For ones listed on the MLS, I can easily show them to you. Ones that are with a property management company or are being handled by the landlord usually don't want a Tenant's Agent involved (Nice way of saying they don't want to pay for an agent to be in the picture.) I also usually send people the link's to all the property management companies I know. If the other party will let me be involved I will, and if not I am happy to offer all the friendly advice you would need to successfully navigate your way through it all.

Most of the people I have dealt with end up getting a house that isn't on the MLS since there isn't that much on it. I am cool with that. If nothing else I get to be helpful and possibly make some friends along the way. I was working with a lady that just moved down here and she found one on her own. I gave her advice on neighborhoods, sent her links to crime maps, sex offender registry, helped her determine a fair price and all. Didn't make a dime, but she moved so close to my wife and I that we've become friends.

Send me a direct message if you like with an e-mail address. I can set up a portal into lbar.com (local MLS) that will e-mail you listings that match your criteria as they come on the market. It is kind of an auto-pilot thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM

62 posts, read 147,965 times
Lexpert is right on with : Chevy Chase. Ashland Park, Kenwick, Mentelle Park, Bell Court, Melrose, Hollywood.

I also like Lexpert's description of the nieghborhoods by likening them to cars, haha, he is spot on with the subaru and BMW wagon.

Bell court and Ashland seem to fit your needs, and Chevy Chase is really nice and can feel different in different parts.

Perhaps even one of the new downtown condos.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 AM

9 posts, read 13,704 times
Default Just Moved Here from Chicago

I just moved here in April from the Chicago suburbs. I recently visited the Chevy Chase area and it reminded me of Wrigleyville with the shops and restaurants. I think you will enjoy it. I plan to explore this area further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area