Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 147,948 times
I'm pretty sure we had a dave and busters if i remember correclty, and it went under. I agree we need seem more "winter" oriented entertainment, can't think of exactly what though.

Our football team is getting better, we have a new coach hopefully about to set a new and positive precedent this weekend. We have a top 10 basketball team and our football continues to improve, is that not enough? So the story goes - we once had elite football and basketball teams but then Rupp essentially wanted his own show and forced Bear Bryant out as football coach. It was downhill from there for football. But our football team has been improving greatly and our basketball team is going to be absurdly good for the forseeable future.

There are a lot of hipsters in Lex, but that is a large scene in most cities. I would like to see some good modern bluegrass and "new" grass to touch on our musical roots. And a more diverse music scene would be better. Hopefully some of the new venues and TNL will bring this.

Other than that I hear a lot of traffic complaints. I agree to a large degree but if you avoid certain areas like Nicholasville road you'll be fine, just don't drive like a sheep.

I'm sure we can think up some better and more realistic ideas of what we can actually bring to the area besides "I want a good football team" or "traffic sucks".

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM

647 posts, read 2,082,768 times
I think Lexington would be better off if we had an interstate highway going closer to the center of the city. I read somewhere a little while back that Lexington is one of the biggest cities that doesn't have an interstate highway going through it.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Without having a highway overpass above main street, I think our higway access is pretty well located. We are also located near the junction of 64 and 75 which provides good access north sotuh east and west. The access is on the eastern side of the city but is well locted and is no more than a 10-15 minute drive from the city center. I'm glad it doesn't run through the middle of my neighborhood that's for sure.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM

As much as I hear about Lexington doesn't have this or Lexington needs that, I am suprised by the lack of specific suggestions as to what people would like to have. Less traffic and a better football team are not the answers I am looking for.

What SPECFIC type of things/ideas does Lexington need that we could bring to our town to provide more diversity in entertainment, or whatever it is you think our city needs?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:52 AM

146 posts, read 297,762 times
Thinking about downtown only...I would like to see a park where families could picnic and just enjoy the outdoors. I realize that downtown has parks but they don't seem to be picnic or family oriented other than Woodland and I really do not consider that exactly downtown. The Centrepointe block would be an excellent place for a family type park right in the center of downtown. It could also be used for downtown workers during lunch hour. I'm afraid that it would soon become just like the library park and not a pleasant place to sit and enjoy a picnic...if you get my drift.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
A Zoo.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
I would like more outdoor family recreation areas. Not just parks, but boating, hiking, etc.

Raven Run is ok, but a little limited.

More paved, off-road bike trails. More creeks and ponds access. Etc.

I also think that the residential development needs more cohesiveness. I've never seen such a city with the attitude of slapping stuff up here and there... "Here's a little pocket of farm - let's build a street or two of two-bedroom starter homes"...and right next door, "Hmmm...perhaps some MckMansions"..."Now, what would fit right here on this court in between....TOWNHOMES!" I don't mind multi-use and multi-level neighborhoods but they should be well-designed and not up to whatever developer claims that particular street.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post

I also think that the residential development needs more cohesiveness. I've never seen such a city with the attitude of slapping stuff up here and there... "Here's a little pocket of farm - let's build a street or two of two-bedroom starter homes"...and right next door, "Hmmm...perhaps some MckMansions"..."Now, what would fit right here on this court in between....TOWNHOMES!" I don't mind multi-use and multi-level neighborhoods but they should be well-designed and not up to whatever developer claims that particular street.
Have you ever been to other cities? I've seen this in lots of other places such as Cincinnati, Louisville, Richmond, VA, Knoxville, and Atlanta to name a few. Except, maybe not a "farm" but a field in other cities.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM

688 posts, read 3,037,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Have you ever been to other cities? I've seen this in lots of other places such as Cincinnati, Louisville, Richmond, VA, Knoxville, and Atlanta to name a few. Except, maybe not a "farm" but a field in other cities.
Ummm, yep. Lots We just moved here from Cleveland and I've lived in many states. I still say that Lexington is one of the worst.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
I agree with the above statement. Lexington doesn't seem to have any "master plan". I can understand older cities having a patchwork-like layout, but such a new suburban city like Lex? Poor planning! It definitely has no concern for urbanscaping... ugly wires, poles & signs haphazardly placed anywhere a parcel owner dumped them. Nicholasville road is the worst - even the Vegas strip is more cohesive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area