Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Well, to be fair you are not providing any facts that dispute the idea that Lexington is a mixed bag job market which does not convey the message that Lexington is a bad job market. It is good for certain skills and backgrounds.
Imagine that I found lots of stuff just by going to a thing called Google. You can go look for yourself if you'd like. But here's one link that I will share....

Best places for business and to find jobs - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM

508 posts, read 1,511,849 times
Right and those Forbes lists are spot on but we will roll with their list anyway

I guess you missed the major contributor to Lexington being on the list

Google is great for search but it doesn't do analysis for you

You see InLondon, there are several metrics that make up this Forbes ranking you used as your sloppy rebuttal

Lexington makes it to the top of the list b/c the education attainment is very high and the cost of living is really low

HOWEVER, Lexington's economic stats and job growth prospects:

Projected economic growth: 139th

Projected job growth: 83rd

Income growth: 110th

Now for a comp city = Huntsville (400,000+ metro population and in the South w/ a regional university campus of UA)

Projected economic growth: third

Projected job growth: 18th

Income growth: 72nd

Also Hunstville ranks higher for median income by approximately $4k+ per year

No offense taken by your smart arse comment as I was just trying to have an intelligent debate but you went there anyway

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
As one who spent a while in the area when I had rougher luck, stayed with a friend off Appian, I can say you won't find trouble unless you're looking for it.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Imagine that I found lots of stuff just by going to a thing called Google. You can go look for yourself if you'd like. But here's one link that I will share....

Best places for business and to find jobs - MSN Money
Right, because as we all know, Google & magazine rankings are never wrong. Isn't everything on the internet true??

There are indeed jobs in Lex, but lets be real about it. They're "worker bee" dead end jobs for peanuts. Its better than nothing, but there just isn't exactly a lot going on in this town job wise. Hence, you don't make connections, can't play the field, cant move up, cant live up to your potential. Its just the nature of it.

I basically did this for 8 years here. And I cant even count the friends I have in town who have done this same exact thing for many years (and are still doing it) who absolutely despise their work & will never move up or move on. Again, better than nothing, but just put it into perspective.

I learned from experience that if you wanna be a success & live up to your potential, it just ain't here. You'll have to go to somewhere that has a pulse & things going on. Or aim low & stick around.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Right, because as we all know, Google & magazine rankings are never wrong. Isn't everything on the internet true??

There are indeed jobs in Lex, but lets be real about it. They're "worker bee" dead end jobs for peanuts. Its better than nothing, but there just isn't exactly a lot going on in this town job wise. Hence, you don't make connections, can't play the field, cant move up, cant live up to your potential. Its just the nature of it.

I basically did this for 8 years here. And I cant even count the friends I have in town who have done this same exact thing for many years (and are still doing it) who absolutely despise their work & will never move up or move on. Again, better than nothing, but just put it into perspective.

I learned from experience that if you wanna be a success & live up to your potential, it just ain't here. You'll have to go to somewhere that has a pulse & things going on. Or aim low & stick around.
Thank you KerryB for keepin' it real! Are you still in Florida?

You and I have both said previously that we care about the state and want it to succeed. Lexington and, while we're at it, Bowling Green may not have been as hard hit in this economy as the rest of the state because of their diverse economies, but they haven't done much to take risks, branch out and become more competitive cities in the regional marketplace. Louisville and Northern Kentucky have done an even better job of diversifying their economies, but the aggregate effect of transportation, infrastructure and education (PS-12 and post-secondary) funding from state government greatly favors less populated and more rural areas of the state (think Southern and Eastern Kentucky). When Louisville, Florence, Covington, and Newport each implement their own occupational taxes of over 2% (almost out of necessity to provide services), it creates a sort of vicious cycle. (Lex. and I believe BG also have occupational taxes but probably don't have to rely on them as much because they receive more per capita funding from the state than Lou. or N. KY.)

I've had some interviews so far for jobs in Texas and on the West Coast, but none have presented any job opportunity...yet. And these interviews were for decent jobs at that, either with great pay or not-so-great pay but great benefits. When I receive an offer, I'm gone.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 09-25-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Again, as usual you all are wrong. Ignore the facts if you wish. Some of you just enjoy complaining. I can imagine what you're like in real life.....

Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
Sorry I do not understand all this would like an apartment in the Tates Creek Area low income please help

Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
Quote:
Again, as usual you all are wrong. Ignore the facts if you wish. Some of you just enjoy complaining. I can imagine what you're like in real life.....
I dont know which part is dumber. You calling some random magazine city ranking you dug up on Google "facts", or you not understanding what I was trying to say. I was citing my personal experience (as well as many many others I know) with this "glorious" Lexington job scene you like to brag on. Believe it, don't believe it, I honestly don't care.

Your little one-liner retaliation posts with no content/arguments schtick is getting kinda old, dude. But we really shouldn't expect anything more from the guy who's never stuck his head out of KY & thinks its God's gift to the world.

Do everyone a favor & just don't post if you can't do better (wishful thinking, I know).

Old 09-26-2010, 04:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Where's IrishTom when you need him?

(Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ONDA_ASIMO.jpg)

If we re-format the hard drive then we may lose some of the laughs!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I dont know which part is dumber. You calling some random magazine city ranking you dug up on Google "facts", or you not understanding what I was trying to say. I was citing my personal experience (as well as many many others I know) with this "glorious" Lexington job scene you like to brag on. Believe it, don't believe it, I honestly don't care.

Your little one-liner retaliation posts with no content/arguments schtick is getting kinda old, dude. But we really shouldn't expect anything more from the guy who's never stuck his head out of KY & thinks its God's gift to the world.

Do everyone a favor & just don't post if you can't do better (wishful thinking, I know).
Haha, I will continue to post here, too bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area