U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,528,582 times

Advertisements

Yes, that should have been $135,000 more! Too late to edit and correct my previous post now, so I hope the OP will read this. Thanks for the good catch, LEXpert...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 AM

1 posts, read 524 times
Default Did you find what you were looking for?

Hi, I am also a single (divorcee) mother of an 11 yr old son and on a mission! My son and I were in N-KY and currently in Amsterdam....Looking to relocate to Lexington area next month...June....and start middle school in August 2011 Chevy Chase sounds really nice....Just curious if you have been able to land job and home for you and your son? Since you are way ahead of me I would like to rent first in order to assess the neighbourhood. I work for the airlines and fexible about our location. Highest priority...schooldistrict as my son begins a very important phase of his educational career...Hope to hear from you and hope you are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsandyc View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm a single mother looking to relocate to the Lexington area with my 3 year old son from Michigan within the next year. I am planning on attending graduate school at one of the schools in the area, but I haven't even began to apply yet.
I need a safe area, obviously, and with good schools. I love older, vintage homes with historical appeal but am not opposed to newer construction so long as they have charm! I also would like to have a bit of privacy, so houses that are close together do not appeal to me.

Can anyone suggest a good area?

Here are my answers to the questions from the sticky:

Where you are working?
Haven't started looking, but I am a certified secondary teacher in Michigan in two content areas and hope to find a job before moving. I just don't know where to look yet!

How much you are willing to spend on housing?
Between 200 and 300k

How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate?
Up to 20 minutes one way

If you have kids: Private school or public school?
He's not old enough yet, but either as long as it is a good system

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
I love the small town feeling but don't want to feel completely isolated. I want to be able to visit and see my neighbors but I don't want to be able to hear them when I'm trying to sleep!

Community amenities important to you?
Good schools, hospitals, shopping, cultural opportunities

Pie or cake?
Depends on what kind of pie or cake!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM

Mom on a Mission:

If you are considering Chevy Chase but want to get the feel of the area before investing in a house, you might consider renting one of the very nice apartments in the Romany Road, Cooper Drive, or Cochran Road areas. All are within easy walking distance of Morton Middle School, which has an excellent academic reputation, and shopping is also nearby. However, the airport (Bluegrass Airport) is off of Versailles Road, across from Keeneland Race Course, and is about 20-30 minutes' drive from Chevy Chase, depending on the time of day and weather. That may not be a major consideration. Otherwise, Chevy Chase has just about everything you are looking for, including several nice houses for sale as of yesterday.

Chevy Chase is a generally quiet, friendly, safe area, with lots of young families as well as more mature residents. The houses date from the late 1920s to the early 1950s. Many have been enlarged - a neighborhood development overlay is now in place to assure that new additions do not overwhelm the original but unostentatious styles of Chevy Chase's very individual houses and thus change the visual character of the neighborhood.

There are tree-lined streets, modestly sized front yards, larger, more private backyards and paved sidewalks. The campuses of Cassidy and Morton Schools are shared, and Christ the King Elementary (parochial) School is close by. Both campuses have playground equipment and serve as neighborhood playgrounds/small parks after school hours and in the summers. Romany Road and Chevy Chase Shopping Centers are within walking distance - both include supermarkets, drugstores, restaurants, dry cleaners, and speciality shops of various kinds. A branch post office is located near the Romany Road shops.

Woodland Park (city park) is nearby, with a large pool, tennis courts, a baseball diamond, basketball courts, a large skateboard court, playground equipment, a bandstand for concerts, and other amenities. A variety of churches are also close at hand.

The nearest public libraries are downtown's Central Library and the Tates Creek Branch Library, about four miles away. Downtown Lexington is a ten-minute drive from Chevy Chase Shopping Center except for rush hours.

You can take a look at Chevy Chase's streets via Google Earth, and get a feel for what the neighborhood is like. See Chenault Road, Cochran Road, Hart Road, Cooper Drive, etc...

Good luck with your move - I hope you find the right place for you and your son to call home!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,856,639 times
Chevy Chase - Lexington's finest neighborhood, far from finest people. If you can bear the smugness I'd advise it!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 PM

UKUKUK, please go back under your bridge! I suppose you know everyone in Chevy Chase? What a very judgemental statement. How is your mean little statement of any help whatsoever to the OP?

I'm sorry you are so jealous of everyone whom you perceive as having it better than you do. The common theme of your posts makes it clear that you have a very strong unmet sense of entitlement and an equally strong resentment of almost everyone else in this town.

Here's a clue: if you want the good stuff you so crave and so resent in others' possession, then maybe you'd better stop spending so much time online and start working to obtain it the old-fashioned way, by being courteous and pleasant to those whom you encounter, by improving both your knowledge of your field and your attitude, by working hard, by volunteering your talents to improve your community - and by growing up.

It's not Lexington, it's not Chevy Chase - it's your attitude.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 05-16-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,856,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I'm sorry you are so jealous of everyone whom you perceive as having it better than you do.
Huh?
Quote:
The common theme of your posts makes it clear that you have a very strong unmet sense of entitlement and an equally strong resentment of almost everyone else in this town.
Sorry, I'm just spoiled from having lived among better company than this. The sense of resentment comes from being both bored near to death and from interacting with the arrogant, cliquey, provincial Kentuckians here. I can honestly say there are but one or two friends I have here who are actually FROM Lexington.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Your post speaks for itself. Once again, you are painting with an extremely broad brush when you gratuitously term Kentuckians (Lexingtonians specifically) "arrogant, cliquey, provincial...". Just as you slammed Chevy Chase residents as "smug" and "not Lexington's finest". You don't know everyone in Chevy Chase, and you don't know everyone in Lexington. I'm sorry you've apparently met up with some unpleasant people from Chevy Chase (I haven't, in over 50 years of living in Lexington, much of it in CC). I'm sorry you dislike the majority of Lexingtonians. But in each case, your voiced dislike seems to be based on something other than what most people would experience as reality.

There's a slight possibility that you're taking some long-time local residents' humorously intended braggadocio about the Bluegrass seriously - that "fast horses, good whiskey, beautiful women/fast women, beautiful horses..." kind of thing. "The mountains tower grandest - in Kentucky..." etc. I may be mistaken. I know this kind of humor well, and it's probably better understood by people with roots here - it's a kind of poking fun at ourselves and the Olde South/Kentucky Colonel/ Moonlight and Magnolias/ Mint Julep stereotypes of gracious living in the Bluegrass. But those stereotypes are rooted in reality: there ARE lots of ante-bellum white columned mansions in and around Lexington. There ARE thousands of acres of manicured, board-fenced, green pastured thoroughbred horse farms surrounding this town. There ARE many whiskey distilleries nearby.

And I expect there are a good many lovely ladies, too.

As with any self-deprecating humor, it's best exhibited and appreciated by those who are firmly part of the group having humor poked at it. I expect similar humor can be encountered in a wide variety of places, by a wide variety of people, and that it may all be mystifying to "outsiders". We joke about the stereotypes, but we love our colorful heritage, too, and know how fortunate we are to have it. To me, that's far from being arrogant or cliqueish or provincial. Your take may differ, or perhaps you've truly been exceedingly unfortunate and have encountered only such unpleasant people as you describe. Why do you suppose you are such a magnet for them?

The other possibility is that you have made too many negative comparisons to wherever it is you prefer - Detroit? Chicago? - to your newfound local acquaintances. No one likes to hear "how we did it better back where I'm from" constantly, believe me. I've worked with people like this, and it gets old fast. It's one thing to positively suggest something different based on your previous experiences elsewhere - but not by denigrating your new place of residence's people and/or customs.

If you are "bored near to death" here, no doubt your attitude shows, making you an unlikely candidate for good friendships with native Central Kentuckians, who are typically friendly, hospitable, but also proud and very attached to their home.

Perhaps you haven't delved deeply enough into what is available here, or need to broaden your own interests. It's not all UK sports, important though they are to many locals. Have you attended concerts, lectures, dances and performances, plays, operas, workshops, fairs, festivals, museums, galleries, libraries, historic sites? Have you involved yourself in any kind of volunteer work? Have you worked part-time while in grad. school? Do you read outside of your area of study? Are you involved with a church or other house of worship? Are you actively involved in sports other than cheering for the Cats?

How do you pass your time when not in class, involved with schoolwork, or cheering the Cats? How would you prefer to pass your free time? What activities do you find lacking here? How hard have you tried to find them, or find acceptable alternatives or variations? Do you listen to others as much as you talk to them?

It's interesting that you're completing your graduate studies in city planning. It seems to me that the best way to help create a city which fits the needs of its residents is to get to know those residents first, and inquire what they want, rather than seeking to impose changes upon them according to your own perception of what's good for them. That's certain to cause a great deal of heel-digging-in, in my experience.

You've mentioned difficulty in finding professional work after receiving your degree - perhaps you need to mature, study human nature and become less judgemental and more accepting of the inevitable differences between both communities in different places and people who live in various places.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,231,854 times
CraigCreek, I like you dude! You're the best thing that's happened to the Lexington forum!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Well, thank you, InLondon! Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area