U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
The cave country is to the southwest of Lexington, not to the east, at least the Mammoth Cave is.

You are correct of course.

I also misspelled Mary Todd's last name.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
This Irishtom is another one of those condescending asses kinda like Visvaldis (or is it Vitalis) that is always putting down Ky. None of either of their contempuous b.s. is even worth commenting on, really.

Though you do so nonetheless.

So tell me; do you mean that one SHOULDN'T visit Blue Licks, ponder the wonder of a Black Shawnee and his fate at Boonesborough, admire the springs at Harrodsburg and Boone's Station and the gorge at High Bridge or stay at the Best Western on Athens Rd.?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM

688 posts, read 1,349,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Though you do so nonetheless.

So tell me; do you mean that one SHOULDN'T visit Blue Licks, ponder the wonder of a Black Shawnee and his fate at Boonesborough, admire the springs at Harrodsburg and Boone's Station and the gorge at High Bridge or stay at the Best Western on Athens Rd.?
No, been there done that (literally all you have wrote). Actually, I always wondered what Ky. (and North America in general) would have looked like if the Indians had repulsed the Whites (I'm 1/4 Cherokee and some Shawnee and Powhatan, also), so always intrigued me. Forgive me, but a lot of what I've seen you write in other posts seems to be condescending or downright hostile to Ky. and this general part of the country, and yes, I can be an ass, also. Anyway, have a great day.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
No, been there done that (literally all you have wrote). Actually, I always wondered what Ky. (and North America in general) would have looked like if the Indians had repulsed the Whites (I'm 1/4 Cherokee and some Shawnee and Powhatan, also), so always intrigued me.
I think we have to go back to the Powhatan Confederacy's war against the early Virginians and King Philip's War in New England to go back to when the Indians may have a had a decent chance of doing so and even King Philip's War was probably too late. One wonders what could've happened had the Spanish in Florida taken the opprotunity to arm and support the Virginia Indians. Perhaps if Pedro Menendez had still been around......

Had the Indians been able to maintain independence while still having trade and social contact with the Europeans we might have seen a powerful and sophisticated Iroquois state dominating the Northeast and the Three Fires (Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawattamie) forming a loose state dominating the upper Lakes and Old Northwest. By the way the last fight the Regular Army had with Indians was not Wounded Knee as many think but was with Pillager Chippewas at Sugar Point Minnesota in 1898. And the Chippewas (who had defeated both the Iroquois and Sioux in earlier days) won the fight.

"President Washington's Indian War" by Wiley Sword is an excellent book about the Great Northwest Indian War of the early 1790s and one is struck by the sophistication of Indian leaders like Little Turtle, Blue Jacket and Joseph Brant. Such as their writing letters back and forth discussing how they should deal with the Americans. You don't see Indians writing letters to each other in the movies. Or calling the people of The United States the Americans.

I will lay off Kentucky, your reasoned response shames me.

Kind regards

Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM

688 posts, read 1,349,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think we have to go back to the Powhatan Confederacy's war against the early Virginians and King Philip's War in New England to go back to when the Indians may have a had a decent chance of doing so and even King Philip's War was probably too late. One wonders what could've happened had the Spanish in Florida taken the opprotunity to arm and support the Virginia Indians. Perhaps if Pedro Menendez had still been around......

Had the Indians been able to maintain independence while still having trade and social contact with the Europeans we might have seen a powerful and sophisticated Iroquois state dominating the Northeast and the Three Fires (Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawattamie) forming a loose state dominating the upper Lakes and Old Northwest. By the way the last fight the Regular Army had with Indians was not Wounded Knee as many think but was with Pillager Chippewas at Sugar Point Minnesota in 1898. And the Chippewas (who had defeated both the Iroquois and Sioux in earlier days) won the fight.

"President Washington's Indian War" by Wiley Sword is an excellent book about the Great Northwest Indian War of the early 1790s and one is struck by the sophistication of Indian leaders like Little Turtle, Blue Jacket and Joseph Brant. Such as their writing letters back and forth discussing how they should deal with the Americans. You don't see Indians writing letters to each other in the movies. Or calling the people of The United States the Americans.

I will lay off Kentucky, your reasoned response shames me.

Kind regards
Kind regards to you to. Have a wonderful weekend. P.S. One of my favorite figures in history is Sequoyah. This dude must have been extremely intelligent to have created a syllabary all by himself (being around someone like that would beat the heck out of using "Rosetta Stone"!). Incidentally, I am supposedly descended from Chief Redbird (I think his full name was Redbird Smith, I'm not exactly sure), the man the Redbird River in Clay County, Ky. is named after. For many years travelling on the Daniel Boone (now Hal Rogers) Parkway, I simply thought Redbird River was named after cardinals or redbirds in the trees, but many years later my mom told me was named after my great-great-whatever grandfather Chief Redbird (he supposedly hunted and travelled through East Ky. mountains). Anyway, have a great evening and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,865,647 times
I think it is important to put your visit and vacation time here into the things that are unique to Lexington and the surrounding areas. Things that only Lexington and the area have. Things dealing with horses, nature (geographical things) and man ... I'm gonna have to get back to you on this. LOL It's not that Lexington has nothing to do, I just ... oh wait, I just thought about Shaker Town, now that is sweet. Also, go to Fort Boonesboro by Richmond. There is Raven Run if it is still warm. The Horse Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area