Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 AM

72 posts, read 245,393 times

Advertisements

You can easily make your own hot brown with any topping. Most folks in rural Kentucky make hot browns with thanksgiving leftovers and a thick cheese sauce (aka mornay). For more fun, make a Welsh rarebit with some guinness and sharp cheddar. The more you tweak the dish to your own tastes, the better it is. Otherwise you're continuing the fetish of yet another southern culinary abomination, right up there with the mint julep and henry baines sauce - all served at your local monochrome country club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Um, what are you guys talking about? What's in a hot brown?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
A hot brown traditionally consists of, and correct me if I'm wrong all ye hot brown aficionados, slices of ham and turkey on bread covered with mornay sauce(or other cheese sauce) and tomatoes, then broiled quickly to brown the cheese a bit.

I had my second one at Jerry's over the hoildays, and, although it was very different from the first one, it too was excellent!! I'm hooked!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I'm pretty much in agreement with the above description, with the addendum that two strips of fried bacon are criss-crossed atop the whole concoction, which is often served on an oval plate. The traditional base of a Hot Brown is two pieces of toast, one whole slice placed squarely in the center and the other cut corner to corner and placed with the longer side next to the outer edges of the middle piece. Mornay sauce covers everything but the bacon strips and sometimes the tomato slices), not just the toast/bread. I seem to recall that the sliced/grilled tomatoes were not in the original Hot Brown, but they're commonly found these days and add a nice touch (and taste).

Cold January is a great month to enjoy Hot Browns!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,515 times
I'm sorry! I did forget the bacon!! A crucial element in the recipe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area