U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 2,319,279 times
Default A Saturday in Lexington

I am planning a quick road trip to Lexington to revisit the place is more detail.

I already know the general lay of the land, but would like some recommendations and have some questions on food/drink/entertainment.

First, nostalgia: Is High on Rose still a bar, or is it something else now. Back in my day it was sort of an old counterculture hangout that later had a room upstairs for live music. What's it like now?

Second: Coffeeshops. Could you recommend me some good coffee shops (local ones not Starbucks), preferably in the older parts of town.

Third: Restuarants. I know DeShas is pretty good, but was wondering if there are places that are maybe more foodie, say that specialize in local sourcing for produce and other ingredients, small plates, more on the vegan/vegitarian side (but not exclusively.meat on the menu is OK)

Fourth: Nightlife. Im interested in two types...if you can give me recommendations for these kinds of venues:

a) upscale dress-up places, say like a piano bar or place that does jazz, where people are more dressed up, more an elegant somewhat upscale vibe,

b) live-music venues. Places that have local live music, acoustic singer/songwriter things, but also places that have indy/alternative rock and folk-rock. Bluegrass music is OK too. I know there used to be a place called the Dame that had a good rep, but its closed, I think....

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to revisiting Lexington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:56 PM

919 posts, read 1,492,063 times
Common Grounds for coffee....just up from where High on Rose was......or is? I drive by there all the time, but haven't looked to see what name is now painted on the door.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 AM

127 posts, read 110,330 times
You might remember Stella's Deli on Jefferson St. It's more than just lunch now and they are real good about using local products. Here's a link. Stella's Kentucky Deli Home Page

From what I hear, Natasha's Cafe, now located on Esplande and not far from the old High on Rose, is quite lively at night. Natasha's Bistro & Bar

If you want a "college" night out, Two Keys Tavern is the place to go! Two Keys Tavern | Lexington, KY

Mind you, none of these suggestions are "fancy!"

Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 PM

216 posts, read 336,342 times
High on Rose has been gone for some time. If I am not mistaken, it is now a law office or some sort.

There are too many new downtown eateries to mention and even some new nightspots.(Bar Lexington, Soundbar, The Penguin Piano Bar, etc...)

Downtown is somewhat more lively than they will lead you to believe.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM

679 posts, read 1,984,737 times
Doodles is great for lunch and breakfast - lots of local foods.

Alfalfa's has been around for a while - now it is downtown (used to be near campus). They have a lot of vegan/veggie/local foods.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 AM

3,823 posts, read 2,319,279 times
I'd like to thank you all for the recommendations. Many of these places are new to me (Two Keys I recall from my days in Lex, and Afalfa, but not the others), so I am looking forward to a return trip sometime in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area