U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,358 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've received a job offer in the Georgetown area (Toyota), and I was wondering if its feasible to commute from Lexington, rather than stay in Georgetown?

Also, I won't have a car for the first month or so. Does anyone know if there is any public transportation that could get me from Lexington to Georgetown during this period? I checked LexTran and Google, but couldn't find anything.

I've never been to this area, so any information is very appreciated!

Brendan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 AM

889 posts, read 1,984,483 times
very easy commute. Don't think there's any public transit but you might check with Toyota to see how you could connect with someone to join a carpool.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM

Good news! Thanks for your help.

Brendan.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 AM

26 posts, read 62,352 times
It GREATLY depends on what part of Lexington you would be commuting from to Georgetown. Traffic can be pretty rough within Lexington ( the loop). The year that we lived in Georgetown and commuted to Lexmark in Lexington, on average the commute time was 30-45min (in good weather and no accidents) and that was with Lexmark being on the north-side of Lexington. IMHO, Lexington has very poor traffic flow for a city it's size so plan accordingly.

Last edited by SpoonBread; 01-17-2011 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 AM

930 posts, read 1,619,539 times
I had a client who transferred here from a Toyota plant in Indiana. He ended up moving in the Masterson Station area since that is an easy drive to Georgetown. If you want to be close and be in Lexington, you'll probably want to be in NW Lexington or not too far from an interstate exit.

Georgetown is a nice little place. Decent schools, enough retail/dining so that you aren't always running to Lexington for everything. I've had several clients in Gtown that really like it there!

I guess it depends on if you are more of a small town person or you want something a little bigger, and how important it is to be close to work.

I haven't heard of any public transportation, but like Lexingtongal mentioned, I am sure you could find somebody to ride with. People from all over this half of Kentucky work at Toyota.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM

683 posts, read 2,093,417 times
Like others have said, it depends on where in Lexington you choose to live. Toyota has easy access to I-75 which helps. Some parts of Lexington (Masterson Station, Hamburg area) are much easier drives and definitely do-able. There are other parts, though (like the Nicholasville Rd and Tates Creek Rd area) that can be much more difficult. My husband made that commute for a while and it averaged about an hour each way, sometimes more, often in heavy traffic. There just isn't an easy way to get from the interstate to that area of Lexington without encountering a lot of lights and traffic.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Thans all for your contributions. I guess I'll just have to try and find somewhere on the Georgetown side of Lexington.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM

930 posts, read 1,619,539 times
Let us know what price range and what you want in a neighborhood and we'll suggest some for you.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 21,851 times
Beware my Friend the NORTH SIDE OF LEX IS NOT A GOOD Area!!! We live in Masterson Station , renting and leaving to move to GTOWN ,, made the mistake of moving to LEX, too crowded!!!!! stay away from georgetown rd!!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,589,681 times
Well, parts of the northside of Lex. are better than are other parts. I'd suggest talking with a realtor. Deepwood is quite lovely, and prices reflect it.

Also, commuting to G' town from Lexington is a different critter than commuting to Lex. from G'town. You'd have considerably less traffic heading north in the morning and south at the end of the working day, at least outside of New Circle Road (which encircles most of Lexington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area