Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times

Advertisements

First one in Kentucky!!! I live really close to that interchange and improvements are badly needed

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - KYTC -- US 68 - Double Crossover Diamond Interchange (http://www.transportation.ky.gov/us68dcd/ - broken link)
Diverging diamond interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,101 times
But is that an improvement? It's so bizarre and confusing looking......

Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
But is that an improvement? It's so bizarre and confusing looking......
I'm with you on this one, InLondon.

Now, before anybody calls me Mr. Negativity, I've thought the below thoughts for years:

What I would like to see is a partial clover-leaf at this interchange as well as Newtown and Versailles (much improved from their current versions), Tates Creek, and Richmond Roads. Most importantly, widen the whole damn Old Circle to four lanes in each direction and make the eastern portion pseudo-limited-access.

Lexington is now a city of 300,000 people and desperately needs this transportation improvement. When you factor in all the suburbanites and small town folks that come to town to work during weekdays and all those women from rural central and eastern Kentucky that come to shop on the weekends, the city easily swells to 400K daily. Old Circle Road has been outdated since 1979. If little ol' Evansville can completely rehabilitate their Lloyd Expressway, likewise Lexington and the KY Transportation Cabinet can do w/ Old Circle.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 PM

914 posts, read 1,971,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm with you on this one, InLondon.

Now, before anybody calls me Mr. Negativity, I've thought the below thoughts for years:

What I would like to see is a partial clover-leaf at this interchange as well as Newtown and Versailles (much improved from their current versions), Tates Creek, and Richmond Roads. Most importantly, widen the whole damn Old Circle to four lanes in each direction and make the eastern portion pseudo-limited-access.

Lexington is now a city of 300,000 people and desperately needs this transportation improvement. When you factor in all the suburbanites and small town folks that come to town to work during weekdays and all those women from rural central and eastern Kentucky that come to shop on the weekends, the city easily swells to 400K daily. Old Circle Road has been outdated since 1979. If little ol' Evansville can completely rehabilitate their Lloyd Expressway, likewise Lexington and the KY Transportation Cabinet can do w/ Old Circle.
There are plans to add an additional lane in the heaviest traffic areas of New Circle. I don't know the timeline, however. I would love it if the eastern portion of New Circle were limited access, but it would be incredibly expensive to businesses and surrounding upgrades to support those existing businesses.

I think this is an interesting idea. I thought it might be confusing too, but then I saw a "car view" of this setup and it was actually very intuitive.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,003 times
We has several of them on Long Island and they aren't really confusing at all! Other than for left turns you have two lights to get through, they do speed things up a bit.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

I think most of the freeway section of New Circle flows good enough, it's the interchanges that need repair (Philadelphia's beltline is only 2 lanes each way, too)

I think a Single Point Interchange (like Winchester Rd/ New Circle) would have helped traffic the most, BUT it would require totally rebuilding/ redesigning the bridges. The DDI is popular because it is cheaper since it can be used with the bridge design used at most traditional diamond interchanges.

According to Wikipedia the main drawback with the DDI is it does NOT allow a simultaneous green light for both directions on the main road because each direction must cross over the other. For a majorly busy road like H'burg that worries me, because both directions are busy in afternoon rush hour.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM

If New Circle Road was in Texas it would look like this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJxTdB6COY

Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,533,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If New Circle Road was in Texas it would look like this!!

YouTube - I-410 Loop East (TX), U.S. 90 To I-35
Ok I laughed out loud at those crazy interchanges. Texas does everything BIG you know.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 873,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
We has several of them on Long Island and they aren't really confusing at all! Other than for left turns you have two lights to get through, they do speed things up a bit.
There are not any Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDIs) in New York, although one is planned for Rochester.

You are probably referring to Single Point Urban Interchanges (SPUI).

There are only 5 operational DDIs in the US, and 3 more in France. The DDIs are located at:

2 in Springfield MO
1 near St. Louis MO
1 in Alcoa TN
1 in American Fork UT

There is a partial DDI in Providence RI that has been there for years.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,003 times
I'm sorry, I guess I'm wrong, but the Nichol's Rd/Rt. 25 intersection, in Centereach on LI, seems to be very similar to the diagrams of this DDI coming to Lex. But perhaps it's merely a Single.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area