Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,578 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are currently living in the suburbs of Detroit, MI and my husband has just been relocated to Lexington for his job. We will be moving at the end of June, beginning of July. I have not found work yet but have looked on the internet and think I may have to find work in Louisville. I was wondering if there is a nice city to live in in-between the 2 cities. I am somehwat of a city girl so I don't want anything to rural but yet we would like to have an acre or so of land. We definitely don't want to be on top of our neighbors but being in a suburb would be great if we can still have a nice size backyard. We are planning on starting a family as soon as we can as well so we are also looking for good public schools. Neither of us want more than a half hour commute to our jobs. We would like a newer house and are looking at spending somewhere in the $200K's. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Any input would help! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Frankfort would be a good in between spot. My only concern for for you is that if you pick some where in a rural setting, it may be more like 45 minutes to get to Lex or Lou. Shelbyville is nice too, but may be too much of a drive to Lex. You may also want to look into Lawrenceburg.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
If each of you want a half hour commute to work, someone's going to have to compromise, as it takes considerably longer than one hour to drive between Lexington and Louisville (and weather can make it longer). That said, Frankfort (closer to Lexington) or Shelbyville (closer to Louisville) would be your obvious choices. Lawrenceburg is close enough to Lexington, but a bit far from Louisville.

Would it be possible for you to work outside your field, or to expand your work possiblities? Lexington has low unemployment at present - is it likely that work in your profession can only be found in Louisville?

Good schools can be found in all of these locations.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
Thank you for the info! I am really going to try and find work in Lexington because it would definitely be much easier for us that way, I'm just not sure how easy that will be. I didnt realize the cities were more than an hour away from each other. We both are used to about a 45 min drive to work now though so I guess that would be ok too. We did decide to rent first for a little while so at least we have some time to look around and find a house to buy.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,701 times
I live on the west end of Lexington (but inside the circle) in Meadowthorpe. Without traffic issues, I can be (just barely) in Louisville in about an hour. So it is possible, but from downtown to downtown no, it's at least 90 minutes.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Louisville is a big place, and Lexington isn't small. While you may be able to reach one from the other if your starting place and destination are on the outskirts of each city, the distance is generally given as 80 miles from downtown to downtown. It's four-lane or more all the way, but factor in winter weather and it's going to take 90 minutes to two hours, again, depending on where you're heading.

Good luck job-hunting in Lexington!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area