Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,469 times

Advertisements

My dog and I are traveling from Iowa to North Carolina during October, and Lexington is about half-way. Is there a nice place not too far off the route where we can do some camping (small camper) and fishing (no boat)? No ammenities, just solitude and . . . . . fish!

Any info about nonresident fishing licenses and regulations would be appreciated. My dog is only 6, and he has no concept of catch-and-release

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Right in Lexington neither. In the general region there is a good hiking place in Berea that's parking lot is literally 5 miles off I-75 (Berea College Forest, take KY 21 east of town a couple miles, parking is on the left). The only fishing spots I can think of would be Royal Springs in Downtown Georgetown, which is stocked with trout (off Water Street just south of Main). Maybe Corinth Lake??

Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply censusdata. I'll look for Corinth Lake, but I suspect a small creek would be more our style (my dog doesn't really like boats). According to mapquest, my route east would be on I64. Is it possible/legal to just pull off the road and camp and fish along a quiet creek? Having come from Wyoming, I suppose that we're spoiled (creek=camping+fishing). Perhaps that's not customary in KY. Corinth Lake: we love the name; googling now.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
If you're traveling down I-64, Cave Run Lake close to Morehead should meet your desires admirably. It's big - but you can shore-fish, and there are nice campgrounds operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. The area is hilly to mountainous and heavily wooded - very, very pretty. There's also a swimming beach with a bathhouse close to one of the largest campgrounds. Cave Run Lake is about an hour and a half east of Lexington. There are also a few hiking trails in this area, along with very attractive wooded picnic grounds.

Still farther down I-64, Carter Caves State Park offers camping, cave tours, and hiking - not sure about fishing, though. You might want to check out both places online.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks CraigCreek! I'll check 'em out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area