Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! My husband and I moved to Lexington in August for me to begin graduate school at UK. We are renting right now, but are looking into buying a house. I am somewhat familiar with the different parts of Lexington (we live in the southeast side and love it), and I'm aware that most people on here say to stay away from the north side of town. However, my husband and I love a house in Old Paris Place. It's near the Lexington Country Club. Is it far enough north that it's out of the "bad parts" of the city? It looks like a cute little neighborhood on google maps, but I could be wrong… Do you think it's safe? Are there any shops nearby or would we have to drive far? Do you think the population in that area is young or older? (We're 23 and 24 and would like a "younger" neighborhood).

We heard good things about Hamburg, so we're looking into that area too. Our price range is around 115-130K. Any advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by dhake723; 01-17-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM

969 posts, read 2,807,955 times
Old Paris Place is okay, but rentals and foreclosures have affected the value more than most areas. There are always a ton of houses for sale too. While I am sure it is as safe as any other area you may look at, I don't see it as a good investment. As you mentioned, being on the north end does exclude many buyers when you go to sell.

I think for $115k to $130k I'd look in Timber Creek and some of the better neighborhoods off of Liberty (Eastwood, Revere Run.....avoid the Grafton Mill and Rambling Creek area.) I'd also avoid the houses near the apartments in Gleneagles. I am basing all of this not only on my opinion, but from my experience showing buyers houses in these areas. I figure if I show several houses in a neighborhood to several buyers, and not of them like it, then that shows that it isn't desireable and will be hard to sell later for you.

Shopping will probably be at Hamburg, which you can get to through Eastland or Hume Road.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

638 posts, read 1,275,923 times
While it is a fact that LEXpert is truly the expert on Lexington real estate and locations, I should think that you'd gleen a lot of info just by going to the areas that you're interested in, and driving around! You already live in Lex, so why not do your own investigating? But for prices, good buys, sale-ability and all things associated, LEXpert is tops!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: