Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 21,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I'm originally from California but left in 2004 for Arizona. My husband and I are ready for a life-change and are contemplating a move. I've never lived in snow or icy conditions (apart from having to scrape my windshield in winter in Northern California). What are the winters like in Lexington? I really like the idea of having 4 seasons. In the desert, you just get year-round brown and the seasons are hot and not (first day of summer and it is 113 degrees today with air quality so bad you can't see the surrounding hills/mountains). I don't think I'd mind snow that sort of came and then melted like what my sister experiences in Colorado.

Are the summers hot and humid? Is the humidity tolerable? I'm used to about 16% humidity so that would be a change.

I'm just starting my search and am looking for a slower paced city that is smaller and more family-focused.
Cold weather is just not for me. I am the type of person that would rather walk around in a tshirt and shorts all the time versus just part of the year and having the other 6 months in coats and pants.

Winters in Lexington usually consist of about 10 inches of snow throughout the season and 30 degree temps as the highs and lows usually going into the low 20's or high teens. We had a very warm winter this year with many of our highs in the 40's and 50's. But this winter was VERY rare. and even with those high temps we still got like 3 inches of snow.

The snow doesnt hang around but the cold temperatures do. Its all what kind of weather you like. Would you rather wear a coat or a tshirt?

The humidity in the summer is bad... but its not as bad as florida. It usually sits around 60-70% humidity. The past few days have been around 100 degrees with a 45% humidity. From what ive heard it feels like texas in the summer. I dont really mind it. Its better than cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
In addition to Boostin's description of central Ky weather, I'd add that this summer's weather has been exceptional and heat records have been broken daily for the last week. It is almost unheard of for June temperatures to top 100 here - yet that is just what has happened this year, and July is continuing the pattern so far. However, our current long-term forecast indicates that temperatures should drop to the usual highs in the eighties by next week.

Now, if we can just get more rain to address the drought...pop-up showers don't quite do it.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 37,870 times
Bump. We are getting closer to a decision.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
In reference to a comment earlier on this thread: when Kentuckians ask newcomers why they moved to Kentucky, it's usually asked out of simple, friendly curiosity and should not be mistaken for a question with a negative subtext - this would be true at least 90% of the time. The question is often phrased as "What brought you to Kentucky?" (and the askers don't mean Greyhound or Delta or Toyota). It's just a common, friendly, getting-to-know-you conversational gambit, so don't feel intruded or as if you're being viewed negatively.

Same with "Where do you go to church?", also frequently asked of newcomers in this part of the world, as in much of the rest of the South.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
I just moved back from lexington. I live in Los Angeles & although I loved lexington. I couldn't wait to get back. I only did make it 3 months. My son was about a year & a half & he hated the summer. He cried because he was hot but it was actually the humidity. I hated it too. You don't feel the humidity in LA. Lexington has wind but it just feels like the humidity is shifting. The grass & trees are beautiful but be ware. Bugs EVERYEHERE!!!! In LA I can go outside barefoot & not worry about bugs crawling between my toes. In lexington you need tennis shoes. Flats don't work. Bugs out there aren't scared of us. Well humidity is horrible. I didn't make it to fall but I was told spring & fall feel like la weather. Downtown lexington is nothing compared to downtown la but you get quality over quantity. You have 2 malls per se. Fayette county mall & hamburg pavillion. There is a new trader Joe's & cosco should be there soon. People in lexington are 100x nicer than Angelenos. You walk by someone & they say hello. Oh & don't forget your friendly sign holder on the new circle road entrance off of man o war & Richmond road.

Hope you like it if you moved. It is more family oriented!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area