Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

I live in Chippendale Square, which is off Patchen Drive in Lexington, KY. Although both the north and south entrances to Chippendale Square say "Chippendale," the street signs say "Chippen Dale." We're pretty tired of having a street name that brings singing rodents to mind. We'll gladly pay for new street signs. How do we go about getting the spelling changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM

218 posts, read 637,211 times
This is a case of the street sign being correct and the private housing complex using what they wish to use. The developer chose the name and applied it to the street using the legal method of a plat. The signs reflect the plat and can be changed only by the Urban County Council. Perhaps you should approach the complex owners and get them to change their name to title instead.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,156 times
If we were going to ask the Council to change the name, how would we go about doing that?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 AM

First, you would have to be smart enough to realize the Chip 'n' Dale are two cartoon characters of the Disney franchise and were not singers but just bumbling animated comics. Disney was making reference to the furniture style as a way of bringing relevance to the youth through their cartoons. I think you missed it. I believe that you are referring to the Chipmunks which got their start in the recording industry.

The best place to start would be through you district councilperson. I would think that you will need a petition from at least two thirds of the property owners of the street affected. Given the recent acrimony in the 911 arena concerning street names and addresses, I will wish you good luck because you're going to need it.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, I loved that cartoon.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
The "Chippen Dale" spelling may be due to the street sign manufacturer's perceiving "Dale" as equivalent to "Street", "Avenue", etc. Is "Chippen" printed in all caps, i.e. "CHIPPEN Dale"? There are several examples of this sort of error in Lexington, most egregiously at The Lane - whose signs read "THE Lane". With much greater contrast between letter sizes. Whoever submitted the street name to the signmaker needed to write a very specific little note to make sure such errors don't occur...

You will most likely have to submit a petition from street residents and property owners to get the name of your street changed. Check with your council rep for the particulars.

I think there are a number of other Lexington streets whose names are considerably more questionable than "Chippendale", however..."Bordallo Drive" comes to mind. Evidently the developers thought it sounded pretty and didn't bother - the spelling did get changed from the original, thankfully, but I'm glad I don't live there!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Bordallo is NOT an error. According to Ted Osbourne, the developer, the street name was assigned to give honor to the then Governor of Guam, who also was the President of International Order of Rotary at the time of the development. There was an amended plat prepared to change the name to "Jeffery Lane", which was signed by all property owners on the street. I think that no one stepped up to pay for the plat preparation or the recording fee and TED refused to do it. It never got recorded and it has been nearly 30 years.

Chippen Dale is exactly as the plat calls for and there is no error there either.

(I have been doing this for about 40 years, so I know how it is.)

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
The OP should call the city at 311 or (859)425-2255 and ask the question to somebody who can conclusively say what needs to happen for a name change. While all of the repsonses seem to make sense, I'm all about going to the right source for the info.

I remember when that area was being built. I was a crazy teenanger who tried to pull into the driveway of the construction site at a high speed and ended up going between a brick column and a fire hydrant, ending up in the middle of what is now probably the living room of one of the townhouses.

Speaking of street names....How about Atokad? (Dakota backwards.) Or Retrac (President Carter's name backwards.) Craigcreek and Cartomanlex-Sure you guys remember East and West Bixby Way. Think one of them is now Wallace, named after the former Gov. Or over in Gainesway when all the cul-de-sacs off Elmendorf were A,B,C and D?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Sure you guys remember East and West Bixby Way. Think one of them is now Wallace, named after the former Gov.
Actually, it was named for the former 5th district council member Fernita Wallace and is in conflict with our street naming rules. There is (and was) a Wallace Ct in Brigadoon where all the streets are named for Scottish places or people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area