Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,717 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a UK student originally from Virginia. My husband, son, and I live in Harrodsburg, KY but since I will be in class 5 days a week, I cannot afford the commute to Lexington. We have decided to move into town. We are flexible on the commute because my husband has a company truck and just drives for a living, and I don't need to live too close to campus. The first bit of advice I need is on elementary schools. My son will be starting Kindergarten and since I am not from here, I have no clue which schools are better. We cannot afford private school, so we need a public school. Next, we want to live in a good neighborhood with very very low crime rates. We prefer to rent a house but since we have to be so selective on rent, area, schools, etc, we are willing to rent an apartment or townhome. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, no more than $600/mo. Does anyone have any recommendations for apartment complexes in Lexington or Nicholasville or even Versailles? Also, I'm sure this is a long shot, but does anyone know of rental companies that would help us find a rental home? We are looking to move early to mid August. A safe neighborhood is our biggest priority as my husband is VERY reluctant to move to a big city and is making a big sacrifice for me. And any suggestions about school districts to try and live in are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
See if you can find a two-bedroom apartment in Chevy Chase or Ashland Park, both of which would put your son in the Cassidy Elementary School district. There are a number of older but very well-maintained four-plex (and some six and eight-plex) apartments in these neighborhoods - the first block of Cochran Road off of High Street/Tates Creek Road, along Romany Road, Cooper Drive, and Duke Road in Chevy Chase, and on many of the side streets in Ashland Park. However, you may need to budget more than $600 a month to get a two-bedroom apartment in these areas.

You won't get pools and party rooms but you will get larger rooms, hardwood floors, laundry rooms, perhaps extra basement storage and perhaps good-sized balconies. Both neighborhoods are considered very safe and are close to Chevy Chase and Romany Road shopping centers, Woodland Park, and Cassidy School, whose campus (shared with that of Morton Middle School) serves as a sort of unofficial neighborhood park and playground. Chevy Chase and Ashland Park are side-by-side, and are only about a mile from the edge of the UK campus.

You might also look at the neighborhoods close to Stonewall Elementary and perhaps Clays Mill Elementary (the Southland area), which are newer (not that new, though - 1940s-50s!) but have similar features, though they are farther from UK. Rent may be a little less in these areas, but the apartments here are newer and so may be priced similarly.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,717 times
Thank you so much! That was really helpful. Are those schools pretty good as far as education quality?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
My son went to Stonewall Elementary and we think he received an excellent Education there.
Not sure about the others. (Rosa Parks is suppose to have a great reputation, not sure which part of town it's in though.) Veteran's Parks Elementary also.

Here is a list from test scores:
Top 10 Best Kentucky State Elementary Schools - KY School Rankings

Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
If your kid is smart enough, you could try and get him/her into one of the local magnet schools. I went to Maxwell Elementary as a child. It's a Spanish emersion school, so your child would learn Spanish as well as English. In today's world, knowing two languages is increasingly more important, and studies show it's easier to pick up languages as a child, so might as well start them now!

The magnet schools don't cost any extra, and don't have defined districts, they just require an entrance exam (at least that's all I had to do, years ago). The magnet schools would guarantee your child got a good education, while not limiting where in town you could live.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
For schools, look at greatschools.net ... I could go through a lot of specifics, but that's a starting point. Actually, there are some rentals that would get you into Rosa Parks Elementary (Ft. Harrods Drive, something like that) which would be ideal and I think the rent is quite low.

And of course Cassidy if you can. And there are plenty of others that are good and many to avoid.

Again, you'll all think I'm getting a commission, but I was once referred to lexingtonrentalhomes.com so I would try them - they have a website that maps out the available homes and price ranges and their agents seem to know the neighborhoods and school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area