U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM

50 posts, read 59,897 times
Question Weekend Trip to Kentucky

Hello All,

I am planning to visit Kentucky the coming weekend to check out some of the well know place likes Mammoth Caves, Slugger Museum, etc. I would like some help and suggestion to visit different place (can be Museum, Distillery, Outdoor activity like Kayaking, Rafting, Country side of a city, etc) which Kentuckians are really proud off.

I have few places in mind as of now:
1. Mammoth Caves
2. Slugger Museum
3. Cumberland River Park
4. Corvette museum

I will be reaching Kentucky on Friday and have two days to cover up everything.

Thanks for your time and feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,222,021 times
Mammoth Cave (only one cave, but wow, the largest in the world!) National Park is not far from Bowling Green, which is also the home of the Corvette Museum. The Louisville Slugger Museum is where its name indicates. I am not sure what you mean by "Cumberland River Park" - perhaps Cumberland Falls State Park?? It's a good distance away, in south eastern Kentucky near Corbin, but not far from I-75.

Which highways will you be taking into and out of Kentucky? It's possible to do all of the above, but you might want to add on an extra day if you can. Cave tours take several hours and you really should go on at least two - I'd recommend the scenic Frozen Niagara tour and the historic tour, which enters the cave through its largest natural entrance),. Factor in driving time, of course. Cumberland Falls can be as long or as short as you please, as the park includes a good restaurant in the historic lodge and has hiking trails.

If you do include another day, you might want to visit the Kentucky (state) Horse Park just outside of Lexington, in the fabled and highly scenic Bluegrass country. Admission is free this coming Saturday! It includes the very large Museum of the Horse, over 100 breeds of horses, a "Parade of the Breeds" twice each day, horse shows, horse-drawn trolley rides, and more. Lexington is also the home of Ashland, the Henry Clay estate, and the girlhood home (now another museum house) of Mary Todd Lincoln. Shakertown at Pleasant Hill is about 45 minutes from Lexington, near Harrodsburg - it's a restored historic village with tours, an excellent restaurant, craft and farming demos, and more.

If you want to make good time, you might want to avoid U.S. 127 right now, as this is the week of the World's Longest Yard Sale, which includes Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. But if you like yard sales, antiques and collectibles, this is a great time to visit. Do bring an umbrella - scattered showers are in the forecast for the end of the week. Of course, if you stay in the museums and Mammoth Cave, you'll be fine.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Which highways will you be taking into and out of Kentucky? It's possible to do all of the above, but you might want to add on an extra day if you can.
Hello,
Thanks for the reply!

I will be travelling from Nashville, so will be probably taking I-65N. Wish, I can add another day to my trip but it won't be possible as I need to get back to work on Monday. But hey, I live in a neighbouring state so can visit again, if I miss anything or found Kentucky and Kentuckians interesting!

As of now, I am planning to visit Bowling green on Saturday and some of the place on my list. On Sunday, I will be leaving for Mammoth caves and will be visiting the following places:

Mammoth Caves
Lost River Cave
Cub Run CaveKentucky Caverns Diamond Caverns Onyx CaveOutlaw Cave

Do you have any suggestion?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM

That's an awful lot of caves. Cave tours often run around an hour or so, and you must go with a tour and a tour guide - no independent spelunking in commercial caves, which all you list seem to be.

Lost River Cave is in Bowling Green, so perhaps you could visit it on Saturday. Bowling Green is not far from Nashville at all - can you drive up on Friday afternoon or evening? That way, you could get an early start on Saturday and see and do more. The Corvette Museum is right beside the Interstate; Lost River Cave is several miles away. The entrance to Mammoth Cave National Park is almost visible from the interstate as well, but you need to drive several miles to reach the park headquarters and the cave's historic entrance.

Kentucky Caverns/Kentucky Down Under is up the road from Mammoth Cave (northeast, the opposite direction from your return to Nashville), near (the town of) Horse Cave - well worth visiting. The cave tour lasts about 45 minutes, but you'll want to spend more time seeing the Australian birds and animals who live on the surface. This cave is smaller but very "decorated", with several colorful chambers and passages.

There's also an excellent cave museum in downtown Horse Cave, right next to Hidden River Cave (not to be confused with Lost River Cave in Bowling Green).

Again, most of these caves are big places with long passages - not something you want to or can rush through. All are worth seeing, but you may want to pick out those of particular interest, and postpone visiting the others until another trip. Take a look at each cave's website and decide which sound the most interesting, then go for it! Be sure to wear good walking shoes and carry a light-weight jacket while touring the caves - cave temps are pleasantly cool but can be chilly with typical summer attire.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM

5,205 posts, read 7,037,551 times
Craig, a club I was in in high school took the 3 hour Snowball tour in Mammoth Cave. Could have had a better lunch for us. But I guess it's not easy to keep the food going when you're a mile down. lol

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the suggestion! Are there any other places which you would recommend visiting in Kentucky?

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Oh, yes, lots of places in Kentucky are well-worth visiting. Are you planning a follow-up trip? Take a look through these forums and see what sounds interesting, then ask more specific questions.

You can also get loads of helpful free material about Kentucky tourism from the Kentucky Welcome Center, which is located right beside the Interstate as soon as you cross the state line from Tennessee.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Surely!

As of now, I have these places on my list:
Kentucky Bourbon Trail
Berea Natural Bridge, near slade
Red River Gorge
Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill
Mary Todd Lincoln House
Kentucky Horse Park
State Capitol Building
Cane Ridge Meeting House outside Paris
Fort Boonesborough State Park
Scenic Drive along US 68 - Maysville to Paducah
Cumberland Falls Moonbow
Natioanl Corvette Museum
Frazier Museum
Floyds Knobs for Hubers Winery
Bardstown
Kentucky Derby Museum
Elizabethtown Renfro Valley
Hofbrauhaus
Mammoth Caves

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM

19 posts, read 14,656 times
Kentucky Bourbon Trail (bad to drink and drive then forget what you saw) Woodford Reserve or Markers Mark r best
Berea Natural Bridge, near slade (not in the same county with Berea, typo?)
Red River Gorge nice but stay away from the edges
Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill dull unless your mormen
Mary Todd Lincoln House she was a *****, skip it
Kentucky Horse Park not too bad but very spred out, where good shoes
State Capitol Building going to a gov'mt bldg? dull
Cane Ridge Meeting House outside Paris never heard of it and I live 18 miles away
Fort Boonesborough State Park go here on Sept 14th only (Unknown Hinson plays)
Scenic Drive along US 68 - Maysville to Paducah 2 lane road with curves while kids are texting, ouch
Cumberland Falls Moonbow -good choice for couples
Natioanl Corvette Museum -good if your into cars
Frazier Museum never heard of it
Floyds Knobs for Hubers Winery I think this is almost in Indiana? but heard good things
Bardstown
Kentucky Derby Museum -good combined with slugger deal
Elizabethtown Renfro Valley stay away from both places hick citys
Hofbrauhaus good choice but almost in Ohio, get a six pack down the street
Mammoth Caves -great choice, check times open on website, dress for 52 degrees

Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 14,656 times
bardstown has makers mark and my old Kentucky home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area