Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,132 times

Advertisements

Young couple moving to Lexington or small town around Lexington come the first of the year.
I am a vet tech, my husband works at an Interstate Battery.

Would like to find a 2+ bedroom house with AT LEAST 5 acres since we have two horses. <125K if possible.
I have been offered jobs in Brighton, Nicholasville, Georgetown, etc and I have opportunities for jobs elsewhere, but I need to know more about the area.

I want to stay in the area for a while, so good schools will eventually be needed. Private Christian schools? Otherwise good small schools are a must.

I want a small town feel, or even just a small town. We like to hike and fish, ride the horses on trails and such but want to be close enough to catch dinner and a movie out in town sometimes.

We are also Christians, so some churches around would be a plus also (Assembly of God/Non-denominational).

Hopefully that's enough information to get an idea of what suburbs/areas we should look into more.

(Towns previously mentioned to us include: Georgetown, Paris, Winchester, Nicholasville, Versailles, Danville, Harrodsburg, Hamburg, Wilmore, etc.)

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Wilmore would seem to be a good fit. It's a bucolic, very small town in Jessamine County, not far from Nicholasville and Lexington. Wilmore is dominated by the theological seminary and college, both of which have United Methodist ties. The elementary public school is good, with fairly small classes and without the difficulties big city schools often face. However, older children are bused to larger schools in Nicholasville or attend private Christian schools in Lexington.

Wilmore is close to the scenic Kentucky River, which offers many recreational opportunities. There are several protected areas with a good deal of wooded acreage with hiking trails in the Kentucky River Palisades area (the Palisades are 300 foot tall limestone cliffs through which the river flows). You would also be close to Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, which offers both riding and hiking.

Fayette County zoning prohibits building new houses on five acre lots (to address the loss of bluegrass vistas, new construction in the protected zone must include 40 acres), and land is considerably more costly than land in surrounding counties. The western side of Woodford County, again near the Kentucky River, might also suit your needs. Schools are generally pretty good in Woodford County.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,877 times
Try LBAR.com to look at RE in the Bluegrass area. That will give you an idea of prices and availability. We're in Paris and LOVE it!! Best of luck to you!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
You can scratch Fayette Co off your list. $125k won't even buy the lot if you were lucky enough to find an available tract that was subdivided before the 40 acre rule. Your best bet are the towns in the first ring around Lexington as were suggested to you. It can get even cheaper if you go out to the second ring of towns away from Lexington such as Mt. Sterling, Lawrenceburg, etc. Berea in Madison County is nice too.

All of these places are full of churches, so I am sure you can find one you like :-)

Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 12,132 times
Thank you so much for all the comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area