Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the info everybody! Please keep it coming! lol.I havent been feeling well the past week, thats why I'm slow on responding.

How about the property taxes? Lets say a 230,000 home. How much would the property taxes average?

And can anyone name off a few more towns/areas that are 20-35 mins from Lexington, yet safe and good schools?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Most of the smaller towns in Kentucky are pretty safe crime wise. I don't even think Lexington is
all that bad...But honestly, I don't know a lot about the schools, of the smaller towns.
Wilmore is a great little town, I like Versailles (most of the movie "Elizabethtown" was shot on location there...I have no idea why they filmed in Versailles as opposed to Elizabethtown itself, lol)

Old 11-23-2012, 03:32 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
Taxes are going to run about .85-1% of the assessed value, which will more than likely be the sales price you pay. It varies depending on what all services are offered. For example, some parts of Lexington have cheaper taxes, but the city doesn't provide street cleaning nor garbage collection. The highest tax districts provide all the services.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Lexington is the hub of an invisible "wheel" marked by surrounding smaller towns: Versailles, Midway, Georgetown, Paris, Winchester, Richmond, Wilmore and Nicholasville. Additional smaller towns within about an hour's driving distance of Lexington include Harrodsburg, Cynthiana, Carlisle, Berea, Lawrenceburg, Danville and Lancaster. Many of these towns are county seats.

All are pleasant and generally safe places to live, with somewhat lower costs of living than Lexington itself. Public schools tend to be better in the college towns, along with Versailles: Midway, Wilmore, Richmond, Berea, Georgetown, and Danville. There are also private schools in most of these towns.

As you may already know, the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, in which almost all of these towns are located (Berea is located on the westernmost slope of the Cumberland Mountains), is noted for its natural beauty and rich history.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM

Thank you for all the info! My main concern is fitting in. Not for myself, but our children. Are the locals friendly to newcomers? Outsiders?

Like I mentioned above our children do have that NY accent-lol.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM

146 posts, read 298,025 times
I don't think you'd have any problems. Lexington is full of friendly folks...adult and children alike. Besides...children are usually more adaptable to new surroundings than their parents would be. Your kiddos will have as much fun with our accent as the locals will have with theirs. In two days, they won't even hear it! lol

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Remind me of your children's ages, please...elementary and high schoolers are less likely to make a big deal of "different" accents than are middle schoolers, but it should be a nine days' wonder at worst. There are lots of opportunities for children's activities in and around Lexington - get your children involved in some of them, invite some of their new friends along, and they should do fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Thank you! 8 & 10 are the ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Remind me of your children's ages, please...elementary and high schoolers are less likely to make a big deal of "different" accents than are middle schoolers, but it should be a nine days' wonder at worst. There are lots of opportunities for children's activities in and around Lexington - get your children involved in some of them, invite some of their new friends along, and they should do fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Lexington is dull. The best place to eat in town is one of the Waffle Houses and the town is full of yahoos who can't even spell "university" sporting UK clothing including UK ball caps they refuse to remove indoors, even while eating at the Waffle House, holding their forks like shovels. The local cuisine combines too much salt, too much grease AND too much sugar all in the same dish. There's one good pizza place in town and it's run by a Buckeye who somehow learned how to make a decent "old neighborhood" thin crust Chicago pizza cut in squares. Other than that forget it. And Polish, Lithuanian, Jewish, Bohemian and German chow is out of the question. You ain't gonna find pierogis, kugelis and zeppelins. No good bakeries either.

The population is lethargic and unenterprising and most things are done in a half-assed manner. When something is done in a proper and timely manner someone who moved down from Michigan, Illinois or New York is probably responsible.

Many people smoke Marlboros and wear Winston caps. When confused they ask their minister what to do.

Much social and economic life revolves around a large so called university which is actually a sports franchise. UK sports gives the average Kentuckian something trivial to be an expert on, this way they don't become experts on important things like politics and economics and get "uppity" with the ministers, car dealers, real estate developers and horse farm owners. Note that UK produces many basketball winners but no Nobel winners.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Pay no attention to that man known as Irishtom, behind the Internet Curtain. Expecting Lexington to be Chicago is like expecting a thoroughbred horse to be a heifer.

Lethargic population?? I was just at the Y in Beaumont earlier today, and it was thronged with people of all ages, swimming laps, using the indoor walking/running track, spinning on the stationary bicycles, using the treadmills - and this was on a weekday! Hardly lethargic...and this is just one of three Ys in Lexington. Even more people enjoy Lexington's parks, particularly the walking trail at the University of Kentucky Arboreatum and the new Legacy Trail, which stretches several miles from downtown Lexington to the Kentucky (state) Horse Park. The open air downtown ice rink in Triangle Park has just opened for its second season, and is also jam-packed with people enjoying themselves.

Who is to say what is a "proper and timely manner" in which to do things?? Whose time are we on here, anyway? Why should long-time Lexington residents and natives have to shift their clocks to conform with what others judge is "proper and timely"?

Whatever is wrong with consulting one's pastor for guidance in making significant decisions?

Last night, I joined a crowd of several hundred to hear Barbara Kingsolver speak about her new book , "Flight Behavior", at a large non-chain bookstore. We're hardly all dullards here...

We have few Poles, Lithuanians, or Czechs/Bohemians in Lexington - hence, few restaurants with these cuisines, which is an understandable loss. However, we do have German, French, Italian (beyond pizza), Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Russian and Thai restaurants, along with others I've probably overlooked or forgotten, in addition to many fine establishments featuring traditional Kentucky food, something Irish Tom clearly does not favor, as he claims to prefer Waffle House. We also have a smoking ban in all restaurants and most places of business. Perhaps Tom has seen smokers congregating outside of restaurants for smoking breaks, or smoking on outside patios, something which (unfortunately for this non-smoker) is still legal.

As for those ubiquitous UK ball caps, sure, they're popular. Got a problem with it, Tom? Just don't judge the brain underneath by the cap covering it. I even saw a few at last night's book signing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area