Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times

Advertisements

In Lexington, you have your choice of gas or electric furnaces, water heaters, and stoves. Not too much use of oil here. Water is via Kentucky American Water Company; sewage is through Urban County Government (there's a long history of sewer problems and flooded basements in parts of Lexington - the Feds are on it now, with heavy fines to our local government for non-compliance. It's getting fixed, but slowly). Some houses have septic tanks in rural areas, and I suppose there are a few wells, but KAWC covers Fayette County. I cannot speak for other areas.

Some of the newer Lexington subdivisions don't seem to have the gas option (via Columbia Gas of Kentucky) - it's readily available in older areas.

You might want to inquire about Bardstown in the general Kentucky forum, for more responses from people more familiar with that area.

Sounds as if you are well-qualified to survive any ice storm, after your experience with Sandy. Glad your house didn't flood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM

302 posts, read 625,938 times
Good idea about posting in the general thread about Bardstown. Thanks for leading me in that direction

Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM

146 posts, read 295,111 times
Heat? You'll find everything, including coal! It all depends on where you live. We live in Northern Garrard County and love it. The one big expense is our rural electric and it does annoy us to know that the folks across the road have Kentucky Utilities which is much cheaper. It just depends on where you live.

Same with sewer and water systems and that even include cisterns in some areas.

I didn't suggest that you look at Garrard County simply because I know nothing about the school systems. It's a great place to live and very affordable. Plenty of land, lovely homes, lakefront property, hiking trails along the Kentucky Palisades and plenty of horses...boarding and riding lessons too!

You'd have to go into Nicholasville for a Catholic church but that's only a 10-15 minute drive on a four lane road. You'd do your shopping in Nicholasville too...Lancaster does not have a grocery store.

Lexington has wonderful hospitals and we're only 30 minutes away...easy drive on that 4 lane road.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times
Garrard County is also close to Danville, which has churches, schools, a college - and grocery stores!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 AM

I read Danville was voted second most beautiful small town in America and Bardstown was first. Danville is much closer to Lexington though right?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Does Bardstown have a grocery store?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Bardstown does have a grocery...many of them. They even have a WalMart! lol Bardstown is a very progressive town with old and new mixed in.

Danville is the same way. Danville would be a bit closer to Lexington.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbgal View Post
Bardstown does have a grocery...many of them. They even have a WalMart! lol Bardstown is a very progressive town with old and new mixed in.

Danville is the same way. Danville would be a bit closer to Lexington.
Thats great to know! What about a pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS? And what is the closest airport?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Ok so hears a question....is Danville as Catholic as Bardsworth?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

I am not Catholic so I really can't answer that, but I would guess Bardstown would have a larger Catholic community.

They both have chain pharmacies such as CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid.

The closest large airport to Danville would be in Lexington...the Bluegrass Airport. Danville has a small airport but I am not sure if it private or not.

I would think that the closest to Bardstown would be in Louisville although it's a straight shot down the Bluegrass Pkwy to the Lexington airport.

You'd be able to find just about anything that you would need in either town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area