Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

302 posts, read 629,698 times

Advertisements

Oh I understand now. I thought you were agreeing saying I SHOULD give up faith and heritage to live in KY. Thats a relief! Had me a little sad because my culture and faith are my core. I might be from NJ but im a decent person. Ill be happy to be your neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I don't really get what some of the posters are saying about Lexington, and Catholics - I live here and have known tons of Catholics! (Louisville has twice as many, sure, but still stat wise 1 in every 4 or 5 families is CAtholic.)

Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't really get what some of the posters are saying about Lexington, and Catholics - I live here and have known tons of Catholics! (Louisville has twice as many, sure, but still stat wise 1 in every 4 or 5 families is CAtholic.)
I contacted some local priests of the parishes in Lexington and they were all very friendly and optimistic that there should be no issue at all being Catholic in KY. Yes, Catholics are a minority in the south but not to the point that it would ruin my faith or be detrimental to my happiness. See how much research Ive done LOL!!! I got all bases covered

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I haven't read most of the replies, but here's my $0.02:

Look into Jessamine County. While the town of Nicholasville isn't quite as attractive as some of the other cities surrounding Lexington (and I mean that in a literal sense -- Versailles is a very beautiful little town), Jessamine County has some wonderful schools. Land is a lot cheaper there than some of the other places (Lexington/Fayette county has very expensive land, comparatively), and property taxes are a LOT lower. You'll have no problem finding a nice home in the country that allows horses. Wilmore, another town in Jessamine county, is also very nice.

When it comes to homes, look for ones with a basement. While tornados haven't been much of a problem, a solid foundation is always a nice thing. Be sure to have it inspected for cracks, as well as radon gas. The limestone bedrock tends to shift, causing foundation issues and cracks in some homes, while some of the caves release radon gas -- which, if ignored, can be dangerous; however it can be safely pumped out of the house.

While Bardstown is nice, and certainly checks most of your boxes, I would be concerned about your child with an illness. Hospitals in Jefferson county (Louisville) are good, but construction / accidents could put the nearest hospital a decent drive away. Lexington is well known for Hospitals. The UK Hospital, Shriners, St Jude's, and others are all great for small children.

You'll get used to the number of counties. They're all relatively small, and the county name is practically interchangeable with the major county seat. I haven't lived in Lexington for 2 years, and I could still list off several of the County/City combinations.

EDIT: Read through the replies. First off, the ice storms are beautiful, if you're well prepared. Luckily, we kept power and water for both of them -- but the first one, we got trapped in our neighborhood, as a tree fell on the only entrance in or out! When winter weather comes, make sure you keep a good supply of food at home. Non-parishable canned goods to last you a week -- with the number of power lines that can be brought down, it might take a while for some areas to get power restored. Don't worry much about it, though. It's nothing like a hurricane. If your worried about trees, have one of the tree services come out and check the big trees nearby. They'll cut off dead branches, and make sure the tree is in good health before winter knocks it down.

I almost forgot about Lexington Catholic! It's a private Catholic school with good ratings, but it's well known around the High School kids -- Catholic students know how to party. No different than most high schools, really, but Catholic students threw some of the best keggers ---- At least, that's what I hear.

If you want an entertaining mix of your religion and your heritage, go visit Joe Bologna's, in downtown Lexington. It's a pizza restaurant set up in an old church!

Last edited by cab591; 01-04-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default The real Joe B's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I haven't read most of the replies, but here's my $0.02:

If you want an entertaining mix of your religion and your heritage, go visit Joe Bologna's, in downtown Lexington. It's a pizza restaurant set up in an old church!
I lost track of everything else you said when I saw Joe Bologna's. It's been over 20 years now, but my mouth is watering as I recall their wonderful bread floating in garlic butter!!

Reason enough to live in Lexington!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Crime

So, OP, here are some crime stats for you to peruse about where you live (I'm guessing Jersey?), about Kentucky, and by a NC poster:

All data from:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

New Jersey crime statistics indicate a total downward trend in crime based on data from 11 years when violent crime was decreasing and property crime was decreasing.

Based on this report, the crime rate in New Jersey for 2013 is expected to be lower than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was lower than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national violent crime rate[/url] average by 4.91% and the state property crime rate was lower than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national property crime rate[/url] average by 5.62%.
---------------------------------
Kentucky crime statistics indicate a total upward trend in crime based on data from 11 years when violent crime was increasing and property crime was increasing.

Based on this report, the crime rate in Kentucky for 2013 is expected to be higher than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was lower than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national violent crime rate[/url] average by 27.04% and the state property crime rate was lower than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national property crime rate[/url] average by 9.4%.
---------------------------------
North Carolina crime statistics indicate a total downward trend in crime based on data from 11 years when violent crime was decreasing and property crime was decreasing.

Based on this report, the crime rate in North Carolina for 2013 is expected to be lower than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was higher than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national violent crime rate[/url] average by 23.27% and the state property crime rate was higher than the Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
national property crime rate[/url] average by 50.3%.
----------------------------------

So while Jersey obviously has a better crime rate than Kentucky and Kentucky's 2013 crime rate is projected higher, it is still likely to be MUCH lower than North Carolina even though NC is trending downward because the rate is currently so much higher in NC.

Regardless of either, at the present time the Kentucky crime rate is lower than the national average. How that translates to Lexington, I did not pull data on. You can do so for yourself at the site listed in this post.

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Its going to be damn near impossible for me to find a pizza down there I love. I know it. Here is a little pizza history for you. Pizza was invented in Naples Italy. It is distinct Southern Italian cooking. When Italians migrated here they were dirt poor if from southern Italy and Sicily. This is where my family is from. They needed a meal that was filling, cheap to make and portable. That's why you see people take a slice of pizza and fold it in half. At least that's how its made up here by all Southern Italians. When folded in half you can literally walk around and eat it without needing a plate. Up in NJ most pizza is made by people of southern Italian descent or are from Naples, like my family, which means it is made RIGHT with authentic recipes. I was taught how to make pizza from my grandma. Pizza isn't pizza. If you want the real deal it has to be made from an Italian. Its like getting Chinese food from a German lol! Pizza is thin and foldable. The sauce is NEVER sweet or bitter. There is no place for sugar in sauce. It should taste like fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil and top quality olive oil. Red wine and onioncan be added to it. That's it. Mozzarella should be very soft and salty and melt flat. You shouldn't see individual sticks or shreds of cheese. If there is anything close to that then you are close to authentic southern Italian pizza. If not, its not worthy of eating. Take it from a person of southern Italian descent who was taught to make it homemade from an Italian If I can't find any I like, I'll make my own and you can all come over lol!!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Okay, now you have got me craving pizza! I had heard that if you go to Italy, the pizza tastes really different from what we have here. When I was living in Louisville, in the seventies,when I was a kid we use to go to
a pizza place that was owned and ran by this old man from Italy (everyone in the place spoke Italian
to each other) and they had the hands down best pizza and food, I ever ate in my life! I miss that place.

For what it's worth, I hear everyone rant and rave about Joe Bologna's being really, really good.
But, I am wondering if it's as good as yours. You might have to open up your own restaurant when you come Alicia!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Okay, now you have got me craving pizza! I had heard that if you go to Italy, the pizza tastes really different from what we have here. When I was living in Louisville, in the seventies,when I was a kid we use to go to
a pizza place that was owned and ran by this old man from Italy (everyone in the place spoke Italian
to each other) and they had the hands down best pizza and food, I ever ate in my life! I miss that place.

For what it's worth, I hear everyone rant and rave about Joe Bologna's being really, really good.
But, I am wondering if it's as good as yours. You might have to open up your own restaurant when you come Alicia!
My husband said I should open my own lol! Ive been cooking since Im 10. I learned from both my grandmothers standing side by side at the stove recipes that are generations old, all the way back to Italy and Sicily. Even living in NJ with a VERY heavy Italian population, I dont order out.I like mine better Im so old fashioned although Im only 34. I make my own bread, roll out my pizza, homemade lasagna, eggplant parmigiania, fettucine, meatballs, on and on and on. My sauce is made from scratch and when I can, fresh tomatoes from my garden. The beauty of it is where ever I move, Ill always have awesome Italian food LOL!!

I saw pics of Joe Bolognas pizza on line. Its very think, more like Chicago deep dish that Italians make there. There has always been a rivalry between Chicago pizza and NYC/NJ pizza. We have 2 pizzas here in the NJ/NYC area, and we call them "pizza pie" or just a "pie". The traditional is the round thin pizza and you get 8 slices. The large rectangular is thick, doughy, saucy and cheesy and you get 12 slices and that is sicilian. So Jersey/NY style is thin or Sicilian pie .

In Italy, their crust is very thin, almost like a cracker!! Its not thick, bready and doughy. And their favorite is a Margherita which is mainly sauce and basil and big circles of FRESH mozzarella (less salty and more watery)

Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM

23 posts, read 44,653 times
Well just my 2 cents. I've never been to Italy but I'm pretty fond of the pizza here in Lexington at Mellow Mushroom or one of the Smashing Tomato locations. I think for a city its size Lexington does a pretty good job of hitting all the major ethnic food categories. On the other hand if I were to go the small town route Bardstown would be my town of choice in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area