Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 41,988 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job in Lexington. I homeschool here in north MS and also have a mentally disabled child. We are self sufficient and prefer the freedom to do what we want with our kids. What can you tell me about this area and the prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I answered a couple of your questions in your other thread, but you might be interested to learn that there is a strong home-school association here in Central Ky, which offers group field trips, social activities, and other opportunities for homeschoolers. There are some state laws in regard to homeschooling, but they are reasonable (actually, I think they should be tightened up considerably to make sure the kids get adequately educated!).

DSACK, the Down Syndrome Association of Central Kentucky, offers activities not only for individuals with Down syndrome but for people with other developmental delays and their families. Lexington's Child Development Center may also be of interest to you, and the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital works with kids with special needs as well.

Wilmore is very small, but housing prices are slightly lower than those in Lexington/Fayette County, I believe. Of course, there is less selection in a smaller community. I think property taxes are a bit lower in Jessamine County, but some of the local realtors can offer more exact info. Rural land can be very costly in the Bluegrass, but urban/suburban housing is more reasonable.

The Bluegrass is quite beautiful - rolling pastureland bordered by treed fencerows, drystone walls, and board fences, lots of horses,a good many cattle, corn and soy fields, fewer tobacco fields than in previous years, manicured thoroughbred horse farms, wooded and more rugged near the Kentucky River (quite close to Wilmore). where 300 foot limestone cliffs (the Palisades) rise above the river below. Wilmore is also close to High Bridge, now a restored park and home of the highest railroad bridge east of the Mississippi River, and isn't far from Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, a beautifully restored historic Shaker village of considerable fame, and Harrodsburg, where you'll find Old Fort Harrod State Park, featuring a good reconstruction of a pioneer fort and many craft demonstrations and other activities in season.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM

146 posts, read 297,762 times
You might also consider Northern Garrard County. I know folks are tired of me touting our community but it is like the hidden gem. Four lane to Lexington and you won't hit any traffic until you actually get into Lexington! It's less than 30 minutes to the "big city!" We've been living here for the past 18 years and cannot imagine leaving. There is no zoning so you can build what you want, live as you want...provided you don't break the law!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I think Wilmore is just the cutest little town! We went for a drive not too long ago, in July -
and the whole town was all decked out with little flags and decorations. Sort of a Mayberry type town. A lot of people do homeschool in Kentucky, and they usually test out better than the kids that attend public or private schools, last I heard.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,760 times
Like Cat Lady, I have always referred to Wilmore as kind of Andy Griffith/Mayberry-ish. The town is so small that to me, it seems more like a neighborhood with a small private college. Other than a gas station or two and a few random stores, you'll be going into Nicholasville for most shopping. There really isn't much there except Asbury.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Like Cat Lady, I have always referred to Wilmore as kind of Andy Griffith/Mayberry-ish. The town is so small that to me, it seems more like a neighborhood with a small private college. Other than a gas station or two and a few random stores, you'll be going into Nicholasville for most shopping. There really isn't much there except Asbury.
^This. Lovely town, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area