Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of interviewing and probably getting a job that would be located in Paris, KY. We are willing to commute 30 minutes.

We are willing to spend up to about $400k on a house and would prefer to not be in the suburbs or in any housing developments - would love a nice yard and view with the possibility of a pool/hot tub at some point if not already part of the house. We really don't want to live in any congested areas but would still like to be somewhat close to somewhere with a nice small downtown/ restaurants/ shops. We would rather just drive into the Lexington downtown every once in awhile on weekend to check it out. Also, would LOVE to be somewhat close to walking paths or outside areas to explore.
We have a 10 month old baby with plans for more kids in another year or two so schools are not super important right now but a good daycare is VERY important - preferably a home daycare but willing to look at larger daycares if they meet our needs.

We have looked at Georgetown area - is that something that would fit? Or any areas on the outskirts of the city? With a baby its a little tricky since there is only so much we can get out and do - ADVICE please!!

ALso please don't tell me not to move here, etc. only positive advice!!!

and I love chocolate cake!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 PM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
We're in Paris and LOVE it!! You will definitely find the home of your dreams here in that price range! We are on the south side of Bourbon County, so we are equal distance from either Paris or Winchester, and about 20 minutes from the Hamburg shopping area, on the southeast side of Lex.

I'm not that familiar with G'town, but you'd be about the same distance to Lex as in Paris.

The area has lots of parks, museums, and, of course, the Horse Park to wander through!

A good idea would be to tie in with a RE and, while looking at homes, you'll get a good feel about each town/area! Most agents are very familiar with all the surrounding towns and can give you plenty of info, too.

Good luck, and welcome to Paris!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Hi! Welcome to Kentucky.
This is a really nice area to raise a family, with lots of fun outdoors things to do.
I think you would probably be happy in Paris, Georgetown or even Lexington.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
Georgetown would be my pick. Paris doesn't have much in your price range. Clark Co/Winchester might be a good fit too time wise, but I'd pick Georgetown any day of the week over Winchester. There are tons of rural houses/neighborhoods in Georgetown/Scott Co. I really like Victoria Estates. It is a neighborhood, but the lots are big and many houses have a wooded or lake view.

There are also several nice houses in your price range that are not in a neighborhood and have 5-10 acres.

I've had many clients wanting what you have described. It can be a little hard to find the right place since the house and land have to be just right. Many of my clients have ended up building a house on a piece of land they liked.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,653 times
thanks for all the advice. With a tight timeline and a baby we probably won't be able to build a house but maybe in the future once we get settled.

I'll check out the locations mentioned and keep looking for anything that comes up. We have seen a few we like but they are just a little too far from where I'd be working.
We are very excited to hopefully move there soon - just waiting to get the final go ahead and start the wheels moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area