U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM

9 posts, read 11,029 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Lexington to take a job at the Kentucky Children's Hospital. Most of the housing prospects that look promising to me are mostly in the Hamburg area. I would love to live in that area because it seems so close to everything I would need in my personal life; however, I am worried about Lexington traffic and being able to get to the hospital in a reasonable amount of time. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to get to the UK hospitals from Hamburg in under 25 minutes, especially if my commute is before and after rush hour? How about during rush hour? Thanks so much! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM

4,598 posts, read 4,067,314 times
Maybe sometimes, but doubtful during rush hour. Nicholasville road can be a mess. Richmond road is busy between New circle and man o war. I'm not sure how busy Winchester road is.

Why only 25 minutes?

Hamburg is nice but busy. During the Christmas season it's very busy.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM

I want to stay under 25 minutes because after a very long day at the hospital, the last thing I am going to want to do is have a long commute back home.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM

625 posts, read 1,076,170 times
While I don't live IN Lex, I would think that during off hours you could easily get to UK Hospital from the Hamburg area or back, in less than 25 minutes. I'd also think that 60 is your best bet to travel on, but again, I'm not an expert on Lex traffic!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM

969 posts, read 2,471,234 times
I've lived out here for 6 years. 25 minutes is very doable. I've worked with several UK employees/doctors/med students. They always think they have to go around Man O War to Richmond Road or Alumni to get to UK since they do not know the back ways. Depending on where you will be in Hamburg, you could take Liberty Road all the way in or even Winchester Road. You have a few options......I'm talking 25 minutes in your car here. Depending on where you park, you might have 10-15 minutes to get between the hospital and your car :-)

Having lived in many places in Lexington and travelling all over town since 1986, the worst times to be in Hamburg are on a Friday night between about 4 and 7:30 and two weeks before Christmas. The rest of the time I don't find it any worse than any other major roads in town.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your help all. My wife and I were able to make a trip over to Lexington yesterday to check out some potential rentals. It looks like we are indeed going to try to live in Hamburg if it works out. We really loved it in that area (though, it kind of feels like a giant parking lot and lacking some green space). We timed the commute yesterday, and it was about 20 minutes at 2 PM taking Sir Barton to Winchester into downtown.

Even for employees, I definitely agree that parking could be a problem in the campus area! But, I think that can be resolved with more familiarity with the area when I actually start working (hopefully). The only annoyance I had with Lexington yesterday was the insane amount of time stuck at red lights! The lights seemed to back everything up and make things more congested then it should.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 PM

7,812 posts, read 4,260,549 times
Lexington is great, you will love it! Rush hour traffic will be a bit worse than what you experienced though.
The traffic can be bad, especially at rush hour, but it's a lot better than other places where I have lived (Lousiville, Baltimore, Miami). Anyways, welcome to Lexington!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:57 PM

969 posts, read 2,471,234 times
Once you are in the Hamburg area for a while, you will learn the back ways into everything. After 6 years in this area, I find Friday nights and about two weeks prior to Christmas are the worst.....but I guess the same could be said about our other retail Mecca, which is Fayette Mall.

Going around Man O War is a bunch of stop and go. It is like speed up to 45-50 and brake. Wait. Repeat.

I use to live out Tates Creek and HATED coming to Hamburg. After I moved here I realized what I didn't like was getting from my house to the edge of Hamburg. It also didn't help that I was one of those people who thought the only way to get there was around Man O War and turning left on Sir Barton. Now that I am out here, I don't spend much time on Man O War to get to Hamburg. If you are out Todds Road, all you have to do is cross Man O War either on Liberty or Pleasant Ridge. I once had reservations at Bonefish at 6. Left my house at 5:53 and was there on time.

Use Liberty, Star Shoot and Pink Pigeon as much as you can to get into Hamburg. FAR less traffic because people who don't live in this area are all on Man O War and Sir Barton.

Welcome to Lexington. I think you will enjoy it. While you are driving down Winchester Road, check out Charlie's Seafood for the best fish sandwich in town. Carry out only.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM

146 posts, read 239,160 times
I'll second Charlie's Seafood! Welcome to Lexington. We don't live in Lexington anymore but we do travel into the "big city" once a week for the Bluegrass Farmers' Market and travel is very seldom a problem...you'll quickly learn the back roads.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 AM

51 posts, read 71,314 times
Lexington rush hour is short and distinct. If you leave fifteen minutes early you will have no problem most of the time. In comparison to same size cities are traffic is fine. Just a traffic signal timing issue that no one wants to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or