Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

Yea be being here on the west coast for so many years and from New England originally, I am very used to the more progressive places in the USA, the more libertarian places, live and let live, we don't care about your accent or what religion your affiliated with. I guess you have to make like the Romans when in Rome, but that can be stressful when all you want to be is yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
My husband keeps talking about moving to the Lexington area in a couple of years, We currently live in SE Michigan and I am an Ohioan by birth but my husband's family has very, very deep roots in eastern KY and his father was the first generation to move north for work. I'm talking Hatfields and McCoys type of roots, and he has many, many distant aunt, uncles, and cousins who still live in eastern KY.

My question then, is basically this: would having deep roots in any part of KY give him a bit of an advantage as a transplant from the Great Lakes region? I realize that eastern KY isn't exactly the high rent district, so to speak, but I mean if he told neighbors, people at church (because we would most definitely be joining a church in KY), etc. that his dad's entire side of the family is in/from KY, would that maybe soften them up towards us, or wouldn't it matter, since we wouldn't be in that specific area? I don't mean we would walk around broadcasting it or anything just to gain acceptance, but if it came up in the conversation when we were discussing where we were originally from.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
canudigit: there are many Lexingtonians with Eastern Kentucky roots, and I expect your husband and would have no difficulty at all meeting friendly people in Lexington.

As a long-time Lexingtonian, I must say I think Lexington is getting a bit of a bad rap in this thread. True, there are many other long-time Lexingtonians who are concerned about the direction some of the growth of recent years has taken, with horse farms and green space disappearing beneath yet more cookie-cutter subdivisions and badly planned shopping centers (yes, Hamburg, I'm talking about you), but that doesn't mean Lexingtonians are unfriendly or unwelcoming to newcomers.

Of course, those newcomers who persist in talking about how much better things were wherever they lived before coming to central Kentucky, or about the quaintly amusing differences they find here don't find themselves making many good friends among long-time residents, understandably. Such condescension is considered rude in the extreme.

Nor do I think that long-time Lexington residents are necessarily "conservative" or stuck in the same dull cycle of shopping, eating out, and following sports. Like people from other places, we have all sorts of interests and participate in all kinds of activities. We take classes, read, attend concerts, plays, and other performances, participate in individual sports, travel both within and outside of Kentucky, volunteer, have a wide variety of hobbies...just like most Americans who live in or near middle-sized cities.

It could be argued that "old Lexingtonians" are conservative in the sense that many of us value the remaining traces of our city's history and traditions and are knowledgeable about our own families' backgrounds and heritages, but that does not equate at all to political conservatism - actually, Lexington's citizens are among the more well-educated and progressive in Kentucky and most of them are both polite and tolerant of others whose views may not be the same as their own.

So don't assume you'll automatically be an outsider if you move to Lexington. Be interested in our city and its people and their ways, be friendly and approachable, make an effort to meet your new neighbors and fellow church members and others you'll encounter, and you'll do just fine.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My husband keeps talking about moving to the Lexington area in a couple of years, We currently live in SE Michigan and I am an Ohioan by birth but my husband's family has very, very deep roots in eastern KY and his father was the first generation to move north for work. I'm talking Hatfields and McCoys type of roots, and he has many, many distant aunt, uncles, and cousins who still live in eastern KY.

My question then, is basically this: would having deep roots in any part of KY give him a bit of an advantage as a transplant from the Great Lakes region? I realize that eastern KY isn't exactly the high rent district, so to speak, but I mean if he told neighbors, people at church (because we would most definitely be joining a church in KY), etc. that his dad's entire side of the family is in/from KY, would that maybe soften them up towards us, or wouldn't it matter, since we wouldn't be in that specific area? I don't mean we would walk around broadcasting it or anything just to gain acceptance, but if it came up in the conversation when we were discussing where we were originally from.
One thing that I definitely found about moving to Lexington is that ... it isn't like some places where they are used to people just moving there to start over, retire, etc.. I have roots from one on my grandparents and I really got/get the quizzical "why are you here?" just pretty much non-stop. And it helps to say that I have roots, but it isn't like some places (I hate to throw out names, but I assume people move to Florida a lot to retire or enjoy the sun, and other places) ... all of that doesn't mean you wouldn't fit in and find friends, and having roots does help. When I see Lexington on lists of places to retire and that kind of thing, I just find it odd because they expect people to move here for a job transfer or to attend the university, but not really for a fresh start. In my experience.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
canudigit: there are many Lexingtonians with Eastern Kentucky roots, and I expect your husband and would have no difficulty at all meeting friendly people in Lexington.

As a long-time Lexingtonian, I must say I think Lexington is getting a bit of a bad rap in this thread. True, there are many other long-time Lexingtonians who are concerned about the direction some of the growth of recent years has taken, with horse farms and green space disappearing beneath yet more cookie-cutter subdivisions and badly planned shopping centers (yes, Hamburg, I'm talking about you), but that doesn't mean Lexingtonians are unfriendly or unwelcoming to newcomers.

Of course, those newcomers who persist in talking about how much better things were wherever they lived before coming to central Kentucky, or about the quaintly amusing differences they find here don't find themselves making many good friends among long-time residents, understandably. Such condescension is considered rude in the extreme.

Nor do I think that long-time Lexington residents are necessarily "conservative" or stuck in the same dull cycle of shopping, eating out, and following sports. Like people from other places, we have all sorts of interests and participate in all kinds of activities. We take classes, read, attend concerts, plays, and other performances, participate in individual sports, travel both within and outside of Kentucky, volunteer, have a wide variety of hobbies...just like most Americans who live in or near middle-sized cities.

It could be argued that "old Lexingtonians" are conservative in the sense that many of us value the remaining traces of our city's history and traditions and are knowledgeable about our own families' backgrounds and heritages, but that does not equate at all to political conservatism - actually, Lexington's citizens are among the more well-educated and progressive in Kentucky and most of them are both polite and tolerant of others whose views may not be the same as their own.

So don't assume you'll automatically be an outsider if you move to Lexington. Be interested in our city and its people and their ways, be friendly and approachable, make an effort to meet your new neighbors and fellow church members and others you'll encounter, and you'll do just fine.
The OP asked "I would like to hear the truth on what northern transplants have to say about their relocation to Lex and the surrounding's areas. Both good and bad." I think that people who have responded are trying to offer their own individual perspectives based on having relocated here, good and bad, to help the OP.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 PM

This is all just my perception and opinion, but the thing is, I understand the southern states more or less distaste for all the Yankee transplants moving to their regions over the recent years. I have no issue with that, and I understand. But for me, it really is a matter of comfortability, on a whole, that concerns me the most. I am from New England, joined the military at 17, been gone ever since, the last ten years my home has been Seattle. It is the left coast I know, and I am not a liberal, but I am more a Montana, New Hampshire type of Libertarian, and an Independent politically, I voted for Ron Paul. Even though there seems to be a huge yuppie, tatted up, granola, tofu eating, piercings wearing giant alternative lifestyle subculture here in Seattle....I may not fit in with them, but I can roam around them, easily, and there are also plenty of churches in Seattle....we have Mark Driscoll here, who pastors a mega church called Mars Hill that has spread nation wide now, ...so what I am getting at is Seattle at least, is a live and let live city. Matter of fact, MT, Idaho, Colorado, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, and your New England states, NY as well, are really all "live and let live" environments, with the exception of Utah, which is still very Mormon, whose folks therein, can snub folks who names are not written on the Church ward. As a libertarian, the south, in my mind, would be more like Utah, meaning clannish, tight knit, stick only with their own, shun you if you are not a southern Baptist, or if you are a Yankee (Yankee does not apply to Utah), and etc. So in my mind Utah and the southern states are similar, they are simply not libertarian enough for my taste. I don't ever want anyone coming up to me and asking what church I go to, and then upon hearing my accent, I become further shunned. Not in 2014. I assure any southerner if they move to Seattle, or to Denver, or to New Hampshire, or to Oregon, or to Colorado, or to Boise Idaho and etc......no one will care about your accent, or if your a Yankee or what church you attend, then shun you if you don't align up with there own beliefs and ways. Utah and the southern states, are very alike to me, in that they are far from being live and let live and/or Libertarian. This is why I am hesitant on moving to such places, and probably why I should stay out west, ...as I would also consider New England but it is too expensive. I respect the south, in all its glory, which is certainly has, but a transplant should be comfortable in 2014 when they relocate in the USA, and not have to worry about being shunned. I feel it is risky as a libertarian to go buy a house in Richmond KY, as opposed to somewhere like Boise Idaho. Boise, in my mind which has tons of transplants, like Seattle and Portland, would be the wiser choice in regard to me actually buying a home I would think, and settling down, and fitting in right off the bat.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-23-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
In my opinion, you'll not fit in "right off the bat" anywhere in the south.

And you will be asked what church you go to, and they will note you accent.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
In my opinion, you'll not fit in "right off the bat" anywhere in the south.

And you will be asked what church you go to, and they will note you accent.
This is true - but it is not meant unkindly.

Church plays a major role in the lives of many Southerners, and asking others which church they attend, along with inviting others to church services or other activities, is considered to be a kindly, friendly thing to do. So - if you are not a church-goer, don't take such questions amiss. You are not being singled out at all, nor is the questioner being overly inquisitive about your personal life - such questions and invitations are intended to be welcoming and inclusive gestures.

If you have no interest in attending church, simply thank the person inviting you and tell them that you are not a church-goer, but that you appreciate their hospitality. Then suggest other activities which you might enjoy together.

But yes, your Northern accent certainly will be noted, just as Southern accents draw attention outside of the South!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This is true - but it is not meant unkindly.

Church plays a major role in the lives of many Southerners, and asking others which church they attend, along with inviting others to church services or other activities, is considered to be a kindly, friendly thing to do. So - if you are not a church-goer, don't take such questions amiss. !
See, I don't fully agree, and this is not specific to Lexington. Sometimes, it is just a friendly, social thing to ask about church attendance and/or religioius views, but sometimes if you respond that you are not a church-goer it is a deal breaker. I certainly know a lot of people who would not consider spending much time with people of differing religious views, or who don't attend church. My first awakening with this was moving to the ex-burbs of a major metropolitan city, where suddenly the church issue became prominent. And generally, Lexington has been similar and some people might be fine and some not. But I typically see it (church affiliation) as a big deal and a large source of social life and social support in Lexington.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM

The southern accent will be noticed anywhere outside of the south, difference though, is that there mostly be no subtle inner ill will about it, you would accepted right on in, and not thought about twice. If you meet someone with a southern accent in Seattle, for example,...no one cares, you are observed, looked upon, and treated just the same as a local Washingtonian, or any other transplant, pretty much with open arms, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area