U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM

486 posts, read 1,248,990 times

Advertisements

No I meant that all new construction in J. County are built on one acre or more, of course there are houses on less than an acre, but they are indeed older. Allow me to address a couple of things brought up, cartomanlex:

- Yes I do attend Sayre, however my best friends attend public schools so no I do not have an elitest view on the city thank you very much. Just because I attend Sayre does not make me an elitist. My parents spend much of what they make to send me here in that they felt that I would receive a better education. They don't make $100,000 a year like you may think. To sum up, I'm not rich like many people who attend here are.

- Though Kenwick is in '02 it still feels a bit safer than say Winburn or the Meadows. I'm not saying the entire north side is criminal because I know numerous genuine people that live in those parts. I just use a little more caution when I venture north of New Circle Road is all. And to add, I live one block away from Kenwick, not in some multi- million dollar home on Lakewood.

- My driving: people stop in accelerator lane when getting on New Circle or I- 75 and I guess aggressive is the wrong word here. I just think that many people here are terrible drivers and so I guess aggressive came from having to learn to swerve at the last minute. Excuse me for having an opinion.

- Yes you're correct; I don't currently pay for my car insurance. The deal I made with my family is until I get a ticket or get in an accident, I don't pay for my insurance, but I did pay for part of my car. Basically it's an incentive to drive safely.

So maybe I'm a bit elitist, I sure hope I don't act like one and I don't surround myself with elitist people who are unless they are genuine people. So sorry to have an opinion, cartomanlex.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM

1,729 posts, read 216,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
I guess it's what one is used to....we own 42 acres and love the privacy, so it's always difficult for me to imagine why people would want a small yard - to me, the homes around here seem to be on top of one another and I would dislike that. But, I certainly understand that some people don't like the maintenance....that's why there's something for everyone!
I really wanted a big yard - maybe a half acre to an acre, so that's pretty much my only disappontment. 42 acres sounds wonderful.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
No I meant that all new construction in J. County are built on one acre or more, of course there are houses on less than an acre, but they are indeed older. Allow me to address a couple of things brought up, cartomanlex:

- Yes I do attend Sayre, however my best friends attend public schools so no I do not have an elitest view on the city thank you very much. Just because I attend Sayre does not make me an elitist. My parents spend much of what they make to send me here in that they felt that I would receive a better education. They don't make $100,000 a year like you may think. To sum up, I'm not rich like many people who attend here are.

- Though Kenwick is in '02 it still feels a bit safer than say Winburn or the Meadows. I'm not saying the entire north side is criminal because I know numerous genuine people that live in those parts. I just use a little more caution when I venture north of New Circle Road is all. And to add, I live one block away from Kenwick, not in some multi- million dollar home on Lakewood.

- My driving: people stop in accelerator lane when getting on New Circle or I- 75 and I guess aggressive is the wrong word here. I just think that many people here are terrible drivers and so I guess aggressive came from having to learn to swerve at the last minute. Excuse me for having an opinion.

- Yes you're correct; I don't currently pay for my car insurance. The deal I made with my family is until I get a ticket or get in an accident, I don't pay for my insurance, but I did pay for part of my car. Basically it's an incentive to drive safely.

So maybe I'm a bit elitist, I sure hope I don't act like one and I don't surround myself with elitist people who are unless they are genuine people. So sorry to have an opinion, cartomanlex.
teebird, I greatly appreciate having you around. We all have our own perspective for viewing things, right?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
if it has crime like anywhere else in town, then it shouldn't be any worse to live there than elsewhere.

By the way, here is an interesting site to check crime statistics:

Citizen's Crime Watch Home Page

You can build a map of any area in Lexington and see what the reports are for up to the last six months. You can do a 1/4 mile search comparison on say, Pintail Drive in Griffin Gate, along with Andover Dr and Firebrook Blvd. The Griffin Gate subdivision actually has the lowest number of police reports. If you expand the search area out to a half mile, yes - Winbrook next to Griffin Gate has more reports - but so does Chevy Chase and the Firebrook area when expanded out.
Anyways, it's an interesting site to play around with....
I have to run out the door, but I did want to comment just generally about the crime issue. First of all, for what it's worth, these maps are inaccurate for my own street! All kinds of people have talked about thefts and (one) break-in, and these are not there. (At least the last time I checked).

It seems to me that crime vulnerability has to do with ... I don't know, access I guess. My old house in VA was down a semi-rural road and most people didn't even know there were houses down there. We were also on a cul-de-sac and so every unusual car or person drew attention. In 6 years, I can't think of a single problem with crime. On the other hand, the subdivision (city) I lived in had some very serious crime issues.

So it just seems that you would want to be either very sealed off, or somehow inaccessible.

It would seem that upscale neighborhoods would have more crime than less upscale, depending again on accessibility, etc.

After my GPS was stolen, my neighbor across the street explained how my house in particular provided really easy access to criminals - if they come into this neighborhood, it's really the first house they would try just based on it being sort of the first house, hard to explain.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM

527 posts, read 1,571,145 times
yes, I'm sure the maps aren't entirely accurate but it does give an idea of what is going on and where. And you're right, easy-in and easy-out must make for a more desirable target.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM

32 posts, read 117,067 times
Quote:
I guess it's what one is used to....we own 42 acres and love the privacy, so it's always difficult for me to imagine why people would want a small yard - to me, the homes around here seem to be on top of one another and I would dislike that. But, I certainly understand that some people don't like the maintenance....that's why there's something for everyone!
I think it's a lot easier to take care of a rural 42 acres, than one acre in suburbia, where the standards for land care are quite different (notice I did not say "better").

Large urban and suburban yards undeniably require a LOT of work to maintain it to the level of community expectations. The choices are - you spend a big chunk of your free time on the weekends doing it, or you pay someone else to do it for you at considerable expense.

I live with my young son on 4 acres in a borderline rural community, and I love it. But the place rarely looks as nice as I would like it to...mowed, fencelines cleared, fallen trees removed, nice plants in the yard, etc.. I would have no time to do other fun things...like laundry, vacuuming, cleaning toilets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area