U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 PM

611 posts, read 1,055,196 times

Advertisements

I've done a little bit of research so far into Kentucky, and so far, the areas around Frankfort and Lexington(and areas as far south as Berea and Danville) seem for some reason, the most appealing to me! Anyway, I'm curious to know if the Lexington or Frankfort area offers more job opportunities in general(though i'm imagining its the former, with the exception possibly of government jobs). I'd like to know from people who've actually lived in one of these 2 KY cities(or near them) which city offers more and/or the better job opportunities.

Anyway, reason I'm asking this question is that(I'm sure people here may've seen my Iowa or Missouri threads) i'm looking after college graduation to move somewhere that has a slower pace of life, a cheaper cost of living, and in a less populated area. I'm hopeful that wherever I do ultimately decide has at least some of the amnities I enjoyed while growing up in the city of Chicago(such as a decent variety of ethnic restaurants, and not being too far away from where music concerts are often held at). And of course, a decent quality of life, and all that other usual stuff.

So far, Danville and Richmond seem the most appealing of the small to midsize towns I've read up on in central Kentucky, but what are some others in that area of Kentucky(other than what i mentioned) that are decent? I'm also curious to hear about other ones in the area that are often overlooked, too. Hope to hear a decent amount of opinions from locals from this part of KY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM

51 posts, read 189,229 times
Default Central Kentucky towns

You cant go wrong with a lot of the towns surrounding Lexington. Yes, Lexington, in my opinion offers more in terms of jobs, entertainment etc than Frankfort...but Frankfort is still so close to Lexington via I-64 that many people live in Frankfort and work in Lexington. Out of all the surrounding communities, I know the least about Danville. Richmond is convenient to Lexington but also consider Georgetown, Paris, Winchester, Versailles. Georgetown has the most housing choices of these 4 but cost of living in all areas of the "Bluegrass" region of Kentucky is low in comparison to many areas of the country. All of them are a comfortable commuting distance to Lexington for work.

Great username by the way..LOL
mortgageguyKY

Old 11-05-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageguyKY View Post
You cant go wrong with a lot of the towns surrounding Lexington. Yes, Lexington, in my opinion offers more in terms of jobs, entertainment etc than Frankfort...but Frankfort is still so close to Lexington via I-64 that many people live in Frankfort and work in Lexington. Out of all the surrounding communities, I know the least about Danville. Richmond is convenient to Lexington but also consider Georgetown, Paris, Winchester, Versailles. Georgetown has the most housing choices of these 4 but cost of living in all areas of the "Bluegrass" region of Kentucky is low in comparison to many areas of the country. All of them are a comfortable commuting distance to Lexington for work.

Great username by the way..LOL
mortgageguyKY
thank you, its one i only made up a few years ago.

anyway, i'll ask you about what you do know about the Lexington and Frankfort areas(hopefully someone else can fill me in about Danville later). which areas/towns/cities would be most comfortable, for someone who prefers having a decent variety of ethnic restaurants around? and i guess its safe to assume the majority of employers in the area are based out of Lexington?

in addition, i was wondering if you knew anything about Nicholasville and Lawrenceburg(particularly the former, due to how close it is to Lexington). also, i wouldn't mind knowing info about decent city neighborhoods within Lexington or Frankfort that have decent amenities for residents. also, are there any crime problem areas in any part of the Lexington or Frankfort areas? i'm doubting most of the nearby towns have any sort of crime problem, and that Lexington is probably mostly safe, though i totally know at the same time(i grew up in the city of Chicago) that it's impossible to live somewhere 100% free of crime. lol, the only thing i'm guessing so far is probably Georgetown is probably the more upscale of all the nearby towns, though that's a very moot point to me. i'd probably be most comfortable with living somewhere where people aren't too obsessed about religion, and are friendly and open-minded, ultimately. thanks again for your responce.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 17,917 times
in addition, i was wondering if you knew anything about Nicholasville and Lawrenceburg(particularly the former, due to how close it is to Lexington). also, i wouldn't mind knowing info about decent city neighborhoods within Lexington or Frankfort that have decent amenities for residents. also, are there any crime problem areas in any part of the Lexington or Frankfort areas? i'm doubting most of the nearby towns have any sort of crime problem, and that Lexington is probably mostly safe, though i totally know at the same time(i grew up in the city of Chicago) that it's impossible to live somewhere 100% free of crime. lol, the only thing i'm guessing so far is probably Georgetown is probably the more upscale of all the nearby towns, though that's a very moot point to me. i'd probably be most comfortable with living somewhere where people aren't too obsessed about religion, and are friendly and open-minded, ultimately. thanks again for your responce.[/quote]

I live in rural Shelby County, KY - about 20 miles west of Frankfort.

Frankfort, being the state capitol, is very busy during the day - lots of state employees commute there from miles around. It is virtually a ghost town at night, though. There is almost no night life at all. There is one Thai restaurant, 1 Indian restaurant, and 1 middle-Eastern restaurant, all of which are very busy for lunch, are deserted in the evenings, and are closed on Sundays. Plenty of fast food, of course, and a few chain restaurants like Applebees.

If you want to live somewhere where people aren't too obsessed about religion, and are openminded, I think you should certainly avoid both Georgetown and Lawrenceburg. This is the Bible belt, and most of the people you meet in the small towns are devout Christians, mostly Baptists. The rural areas here voted 6-1 for Bush in '04. The people are very friendly, but they are mostly social conservatives.

I think you might like Lexington. It's a university town, very diverse and liberal, also clean and very pretty. I walk around downtown with my family at night and feel quite safe and comfortable. Lots of great restaurants, live music and galleries.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsmitty View Post
I live in rural Shelby County, KY - about 20 miles west of Frankfort.

Frankfort, being the state capitol, is very busy during the day - lots of state employees commute there from miles around. It is virtually a ghost town at night, though. There is almost no night life at all. There is one Thai restaurant, 1 Indian restaurant, and 1 middle-Eastern restaurant, all of which are very busy for lunch, are deserted in the evenings, and are closed on Sundays. Plenty of fast food, of course, and a few chain restaurants like Applebees.

If you want to live somewhere where people aren't too obsessed about religion, and are openminded, I think you should certainly avoid both Georgetown and Lawrenceburg. This is the Bible belt, and most of the people you meet in the small towns are devout Christians, mostly Baptists. The rural areas here voted 6-1 for Bush in '04. The people are very friendly, but they are mostly social conservatives.

I think you might like Lexington. It's a university town, very diverse and liberal, also clean and very pretty. I walk around downtown with my family at night and feel quite safe and comfortable. Lots of great restaurants, live music and galleries.
interesting you mentioned that about how the rural areas of KY voted, i noticed that myself. weirdly enough, as I was curious(and even before I read your post), I spent about an hour last night looking at how central KY counties voted for their local Congressmen and in the Presidential election between 2000 and 2004 on CNN's website, since the old results are all still up on their site. still, I realize that probably in most places I go to in KY(other than possibly the cities and in a small number of the very big towns), it'll probably lean conservatively anyway, and I'm prepared that the culture will lean more this way overall than it is living in Illinois(that's why I'm open-minded to also looking at a small number of the towns outside of Lextn., in addition to that city and Frankfort). i notice this all the time whenever I've visited a small number of my parent's relatives in Virginia and Georgia, and noticed this to a lesser degree when I visited one of my dad's friends in Fredericksburg, VA 2 years ago.

anyway, to move on and ask some new questions, which neighborhoods in Lexington would be the best ones for myself to consider, based on the factors i mentioned i'm interested in in my earlier posts in this thread? are there some biking paths and/or hiking trails within the city? and of course, thanks for replying to my post.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,891 times
Exclamation Avoid Lawrenceburg,KY

I moved to Lawrenceburg,KY (Anderson County) 3 years ago when my job transferred to Lexington due to it's proximity to Lexington and also to I-64 to get 'back home' to Louisville where everyone I know seems to live. L-burg is a town of poor, illiterate, rude country redneck hicks and farmers. They can't even spell the name of the town correctly on the banners they put up along Main Street this summer--and nobody really seems to care. The people here have this "You're Not From Here" / "Go home, City Boy!" attitude problem. They hate anyone who isn't a farmer or blue-collar worker. I have 2 part time jobs in this town which involve public contact, it's amazing how many people are on welfare and there's a high number of young unmarried teenage mothers. Also as another person posted on here, the religion freaks are very aggressive and very vocal in this town (, they are very in-your-face about their far-right-wing values. I'm Republican but these people are much more conservative than I was used to in Louisville.
Another thing is there are a lot of people like myself who live here but don't work (full-time) in the county, and the local folk really resent us. You can buy a 3 bedroom/1 bath house here for $85,000 versus maybe $150,000 in Lexington which attracts people like myself on a budget. I always wanted to live in a smaller town, Lawrenceburg was NOT a good choice!!! We do have a Kroger, 24-hour supercenter WalMart, and at least one 24-hour gas station now, but you have to drive 10 miles to Frankfort, 25 miles to Lexington/Shelbyville, or 55 miles to Louisville for "real" shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. The crime rate in Lawrenceburg is high too, lots of DUI arrests, break-in's, domestic violence. The schools here I can't comment on as I don't have kids, but I work with some of the teenagers who go to public school here and well....most are probably going to be working minimum wage jobs their whole lives as they are just plain ignorant. I don't think the schools are very good. Lastly, the people here dress, talk and act like a town full of Larry The Cable Guy wannabes and drive their big jacked-up 4x4's with the confederate flags and stuff. It was one hell of a culture shock after moving here from the 16th largest city in America with a metro population of well over 1.5 million (Louisville) to Lawrenceburg (town of 10,000). I am moving to Frankfort,KY in the near future which is still convenient to Louisville or Lexington by I-64, the people are friendly, there are more shops/restaurants, and it just seems to a better place.

I have a cousin who lives in Danville,KY and that is a "nice" small town from all reports--he moved there from Louisville and has really been impressed by that small community (Boyle County). --KY Mike--

Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Mike View Post
I moved to Lawrenceburg,KY (Anderson County) 3 years ago when my job transferred to Lexington due to it's proximity to Lexington and also to I-64 to get 'back home' to Louisville where everyone I know seems to live. L-burg is a town of poor, illiterate, rude country redneck hicks and farmers. They can't even spell the name of the town correctly on the banners they put up along Main Street this summer--and nobody really seems to care. The people here have this "You're Not From Here" / "Go home, City Boy!" attitude problem. They hate anyone who isn't a farmer or blue-collar worker. I have 2 part time jobs in this town which involve public contact, it's amazing how many people are on welfare and there's a high number of young unmarried teenage mothers. Also as another person posted on here, the religion freaks are very aggressive and very vocal in this town (, they are very in-your-face about their far-right-wing values. I'm Republican but these people are much more conservative than I was used to in Louisville.
Another thing is there are a lot of people like myself who live here but don't work (full-time) in the county, and the local folk really resent us. You can buy a 3 bedroom/1 bath house here for $85,000 versus maybe $150,000 in Lexington which attracts people like myself on a budget. I always wanted to live in a smaller town, Lawrenceburg was NOT a good choice!!! We do have a Kroger, 24-hour supercenter WalMart, and at least one 24-hour gas station now, but you have to drive 10 miles to Frankfort, 25 miles to Lexington/Shelbyville, or 55 miles to Louisville for "real" shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. The crime rate in Lawrenceburg is high too, lots of DUI arrests, break-in's, domestic violence. The schools here I can't comment on as I don't have kids, but I work with some of the teenagers who go to public school here and well....most are probably going to be working minimum wage jobs their whole lives as they are just plain ignorant. I don't think the schools are very good. Lastly, the people here dress, talk and act like a town full of Larry The Cable Guy wannabes and drive their big jacked-up 4x4's with the confederate flags and stuff. It was one hell of a culture shock after moving here from the 16th largest city in America with a metro population of well over 1.5 million (Louisville) to Lawrenceburg (town of 10,000). I am moving to Frankfort,KY in the near future which is still convenient to Louisville or Lexington by I-64, the people are friendly, there are more shops/restaurants, and it just seems to a better place.

I have a cousin who lives in Danville,KY and that is a "nice" small town from all reports--he moved there from Louisville and has really been impressed by that small community (Boyle County). --KY Mike--
thanks for commenting about Lawrenceburg. its too bad the crime rate and socialeconomical problems are obviously quite evident there, similar to what i concluded after reading some data I found about Harrodsburg to the south. i'm still in the process though of examining data of other small towns in the area(and will eventually start doing so of neighborhoods within Lexington), only reason I haven't started to lean towards any certain towns or neighborhoods yet.

two more questions i thought of. does anyone know if there's some sort of alternative/independent newspaper that exists in Lexington? i mean one, say on the lines of the Chicago Reader or Atlanta's Creative Loafing(i also remember Charlottesville, VA had a paper like this too). and one last question, what are the laws on alcohol sales in the Lexington area(mainly asking if they're any 'dry county' laws that exist in counties near Lexington), and surrounding counties?

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 11-10-2006 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 AM

3,831 posts, read 8,153,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
thanks for commenting about Lawrenceburg. its too bad the crime rate and socialeconomical problems are obviously quite evident there, similar to what i concluded after reading some data I found about Harrodsburg to the south. i'm still in the process though of examining data of other small towns in the area(and will eventually start doing so of neighborhoods within Lexington), only reason I haven't started to lean towards any certain towns or neighborhoods yet.

two more questions i thought of. does anyone know if there's some sort of alternative/independent newspaper that exists in Lexington? i mean one, say on the lines of the Chicago Reader or Atlanta's Creative Loafing(i also remember Charlottesville, VA had a paper like this too). and one last question, what are the laws on alcohol sales in the Lexington area(mainly asking if they're any 'dry county' laws that exist in counties near Lexington), and surrounding counties?
I am not sure why you are so content on moving to Lexington. Its actually a fine town, but it is just totally surrounded by deep south rednecks. Maybe someone from Lexington will speak up, but my personal experience is that the town is run by the university, and there is not much else there.

Louisville is substantially bigger, more diverse, and MUCH more liberal. It has its share of rednecks on the outskirts too, but they just don't seem as bad or conservative as central KY. I don't know if Lexington has any alternative magazines, but Louisville has several. The liberal democrat we just elected to represent us in the House, John Yarmouth, founded a weekly alternative called LEO that runs weekly. Check it out:

www.leoweekly.com It is very much like the Chicago Reader

www.velocityweekly.com is very similar to Chicago's MetroMix.

Seeing that Louisville is somewhat of a major city (especially compared to Lexington), it has many major city amenties. However even it lacks some things people like like pro sports, and it is by FAR the largest and most liberal city in KY.

An area you would absolutely adore is the Highlands in Louisville:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig...8Louisville%29

This is the Georgetown of KY or the Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, etc. The area is quite bohemian and a lot of fun while being absolutely as safe as the safest suburb and not terribly expensive or full of traffic like similar hoods in larger cities.

Also Old Lousiville, Crescent Hill, and St Matthews would all be much more liberal and bohemian than anywhere in KY with possible exception of the IMMEDIATE area around UK's campus in Lexington (due to all the students and educators).

If you prefer a smaller suburban town, La Grange would be nice for you. Only 30 minutes from downtown Louisville it offers small town charm and a quaint downtown shopping district. It has most of the basic chain shopping options and would generally be a much better option than anywhere in Central KY. The one small town I can reccomend in central KY would be Danville, but even it seemed to be overrun with the Bible belt conservatives.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,527 times
Y'all talk about being conservative and religious like it's a bad thing . It seems rather harsh to move into an area (or want to move into it) because it suits your needs/wants in some ways, then seek to change it so it meets *your* preferred mode of being. Just a drag those "poor, illiterate, rude country redneck hicks and farmers" weren't friendly to you, KY Mike. I'm sure you were sweetness and tolerance personified to them.

I grew up in eastern KY among those "poor, illiterate, rude country redneck hicks and farmers" (oops, I must be one), and have also lived in Lexington, Louisville and the NYC metro area. So perhaps I can help you out a little, Dumpster, despite being religious and conservative, as I do know the territory and do know "culture" and "big city life".

Lexington is a very liberal town, kind of a wanna-be Madison, WI with a strong element of conservatism still in evidence. The leaders and laws are mostly liberal too; for example, both "fairness" and smoking ban ordinances passed there in the last 10 years. In size, it's smaller than its official population would indicate, because it's a city-county govt and the population is the entire county, not just the urban section. I don't know what mix of restaurants is there now, but there weren't many ethnic ones when I lived there in the 1990s. Indian, primarily. But then, who wants ethnic when you can eat at Ramsey's? UK does dominate in many ways, and it would dearly love to completely dominate, making the town its little plaything. In fact, their new "visioning" for the future involves doing precisely that. But overall, Lexington is more a family town than a happening town.

The more "liberal" sections of the state are going to be in the triangle made by Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati. From what you've said, you're going to be happiest if you live somewhere in there. Cincinnati is about 2 hrs from Lexington, which makes it an easy drive if you live north of Lexington. Any town within 30 minutes of Lexington is going to be more costly to live in than towns further out. The trade off is, you're going to get into more conservative and less culturally diverse areas the further out you go, and the more likely you will have to actually interact with a real farmer.

South of Lexington, it's increasingly conservative the further south you go. Two towns stand out as more culturally diverse. Danville is a lovely town, and Centre College there has made it a more lively and interesting place than many towns its size. But it's also a desirable place to live, so it's going to be a bit more expensive too. Another alternative is Berea, which has Berea College. An artists' community has grown up there, feeding off the arts and crafts emphasis at Berea College, so it has a lot of interesting and quirky venues/restaurants as a result. And is, I suspect, more socially liberal. Berea is beautiful, very warm and friendly. It would also be a bit more pricey, I would think, because it is desirable.

Your best bet would probably be the Cinci/Louisville/Lex. triangle, though. You can easily get to any of the three cities, and still live in a relatively low cost place. You could target the area, look for jobs in all three places, and then choose where you live based on that. Lexington does have a lot of jobs, but highly industry-specific. Both Louisville and Cincinnati would have a wider range of job opportunities. I lived in Jeffersontown and later downtown at Central Park in Lsvl; downtown is definitely the way to go for a young person, lots of college students there, and reasonable apartments. LaGrange is a nice town (yep, lived close to there too), but you're getting into the same issues there that you would around Lexington. They say they're Democrats, but more Zell Miller than Nancy Pelosi. Easy commute to Lsvl, though. Both Cinci and Lsvl have vibrant arts and music communities, lots of ethnic and cultural diversity, and areas where cool hip young people hang out.

Or so they say. As a religious conservative, I am apparently by definition incapable of having fun or thinking rationally. If I could only be tolerant and accepting like all of you.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,832 times
Kynative,
Hi! I'm glad you replied when you did. My family and I would like to relocate from Maryland. We live in a small town of around 6000. We like the small town feel but we're sick of the hour drive to get to good hospitals, and good shopping. We're also tired of the fact that it is pretty expensive to live here. My husband and I have 2 children under 2. We would like to stay in a small town but obviously we would like things closer then an hour away. There would have to be things for the kids to do and town activities. My husband works as a surveyor so he will need to find a job. We are Christians and religion is important to us along with a good Christian school. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area