Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,917 times

Advertisements

Where are good neighborhoods for retirees in Lexington? Home price goal: $200-$225. Would like easy access to amenities - shopping, health care etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:38 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamakia View Post
Where are good neighborhoods for retirees in Lexington? Home price goal: $200-$225. Would like easy access to amenities - shopping, health care etc.

Thank you!
There are many for that price range. South and south east all along man o war. For south, think in the area of tates creek rd and man o war or along wilson downing and nicholsville. Anywhere in that square meets all your criteria that you mentioned.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:29 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I live in Southwest Lexington, and that you could probably find what you are looking for here....or out by Tates Creek as mentioned...or the Hamburg area. (I am not totally sure about prices, the Lexpert is a Realtor here, and he could probably give you a better idea of prices of the areas.) Lexington isn't a really huge city, so most things are pretty close
to most other things.

Are you more interested in newer, (or older) homes....are their certain amenities that you must have, or would like.
What do you love in a neighborhood, what do you hate in a neighborhood?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Once again, I am recommending Southland and the adjacent Twin Oaks. Southland shopping center is within walking distance of much of this area, Fayette Mall and the additional (excessive) developments along Nicholasville Road are nearby, hospitals and doctors' offices are ten minutes away. Schools are many and good (for future resale considerations), parks and a good library branch are close at hand, and while the side streets in Southland don't get much excess traffic, the location is quite convenient for many purposes.

One caveat: if either of you will be working downtown, the afternoon commute runs close to half an hour. Plan on a twenty minute drive downtown in the mornings. Travel time to and from UK is about fifteen minutes in the morning, twenty or so in the afternoon.

Southland houses are modest but well-maintained ranches and Cape Cods from the 1950s - lots of brick, some fieldstone, some vinyl siding on smaller houses off of Clays Mill close to Rosemont Garden. A typical Southland house will have three to four bedrooms, one and a half to two baths, hardwood floors, a fireplace, a separate garage, and a largish back yard with mature trees. Some have basements; most ranches have attics, some have small front porches (sufficient for a couple of chairs and some plants). Some Southland houses have been renovated, almost all have been maintained with paint, etc. Prices are very affordable for the value received. I lived in Southland for around 15 years and enjoyed it very much.

Good luck finding the right place.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Your budget is pretty workable. I think you have plenty of options. About any part of town except the north/northwest side will have you close to amenities.

Let us know if you want an older home or a newer one. That way we can narrow it down.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM

83 posts, read 99,759 times
Hamburg has ideal shopping locations and entertainment options. A lot of younger adults (college students) are usually situated within a few mile radius from downtown Lexington since University of Kentucky is at its heart. From personal experience, it does get rather noisy at times, (especially during UK games) in some parts of Lexington. Hamburg is fairly upscale with a lot of amenities and is closer to Lexington with less younger residents due to its cost-of-living.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 AM

Default Best Neighborhoods for Retirees in Lexington

Thank you very much for the replies. Regarding newer or older homes - we would like a home built 2005 or later. Looking for abt 1800 sq ft. Would need a sizable back yard that is or can be fenced in for our dogs.

Hope that helps with additional advice. I will be coming to Lexington in June and wanted to check it out.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:57 PM

I better get the white elephant out of the room......a sizable back yard in a newer neighborhood in Fayette County is probably not going to happen. You might occasionally find a larger lot in a new neighborhood, but most of the time that means part of your lot is a retention basin, in a flood plain, or some other reason why they couldn't increase the density.

You can expect something like 1/5th to 1/6th of an acre lot for newer neighborhoods. Sorry :-(

Some neighborhoods that would be a good fit for the other criteria you mentioned, going clockwise around Lexington beginning around Winchester Road and ending around Harrodsburg Road, are:

The Home Place and Blackford-Most are two story houses. The ranches tend to be in the 1300-1500 square foot range. Great location. All the new development is going out that way. The lots seem really narrow, which is why you don't see many ranch style houses over about 1500 square feet. Probably not the best fit for you, but somebody else reading this might like it there.

Chilesburg and Stuart Hall-Both are newer neighborhoods close to a hospital, the biggest park in Lexington, and a short drive down Todds Road to Hamburg. I see a lot of ranch/1 story houses. More in Chilesburg. Stuart Hall is the smaller and more upscale of the two.

Charleston Gardens and Carolina Place-These neighborhoods are beside each other out Tates Creek Road near the Jessamine County line. There is a small neighborhood park. The large Veteran's Park is close too. You're about 10 minutes to grocery stores/restaurants. 20-25 minutes gets you to downtown and both our retail meccas, Fayette Mall and Hamburg. Many like the Tates Creek area because it is about half way between those two destinations and convenient to all of Lexington.

Glasford is a new neighborhood along Man O War between Tates Creek and Nicholasville Road. It is pretty close to Fayette Mall. I really like the location of this neighborhood, but some of the lots are polarizing. Many are across from a giant apartment complex that is nice at this moment. Also, it is hard to find a level lot. It is a very hilly neighborhood.

Wellington Green is a great location. We are getting more like 2000-2005 built houses though. It is near Fayette Mall, the very nice shopping center in Palomar Center. All the best retail and amenities on the south part of Lexington are 5 minutes away. Shilito Park is close too. There is a lot of congestion around the area though due to everybody else coming to those amenities. I think this one is worth checking out!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM

LEXpert:
Thanks so much for this info. I glanced at Lexington KY MLS and while there isn't a perfect fit yet - some of these look like they could be right in the ballpark!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM

You are welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area