Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 37,008 times

Advertisements

First of all I love reading all the posts from Kentucky residents, they are very helpful...But here is another moving question:
My husband is being transferred to Georgetown, we live in Frisco, suburb of Dallas..He thinks we need to live in Lexington, we have 3 great kids... ages 16 son (lives for running track, cross country, very outgoing)..10 son ( loves school straight a's plays goldf and tennis) and only daughter age 3 (loves tap and ballet)..We are thinking of leasing a home, I have emailed several companys that have rentals but have had no luck hearing back from any.
Anyone out there know of any nice homes around your neighborhood?....We are coming to look around Lexington and Georgetown next week and planning on moving in June or July.
Thank you for any info you might could give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Well Georgetown is cheaper than Lexington. It's not far, maybe 20 minutes north and of course longer than that at certain times of the day. There are plenty of new subdivisions around Georgetown since that area is growing very fast due to the Toyota plant.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,486 times
It depends on what you are looking for...there are plenty of homes for rent in Lexington. Depending on the price range there are several... and with the market the way it is I wouldn't be bashful about asking a home owner that has their house on the market if they are interested in renting. The other side is that it is such a buyers market and a great time to buy. Unlike the rest of the US (according to mainstream media) Lexington's housing market although slow...is strong. I would look for something with a lease with option to purchase.

As for schools...If I had a family right now I would rather be in Georgetown. I say this because their schools are not quite as large with diversity...They are more of a suburb atmosphere. There are good schools in Lexington BUT you need to do lots of research and make sure you know which ones they are BECAUSE there are some public schools I wouldn't step foot in (not as far as the facility) as far as the atmosphere. Children are growing up way too fast in my opinion. Here is the Fayette County Public site Schhttp://www.fayette.k12.ky.us/ I suggest you actually GO to the school during school hours for a visit.

Let me tell you though... my thoughts are just my opinion. To give you a little about what I like...a very clean lawn, respect to all, conservative. I'm sure you get the point.

There are plenty of sporting activities in Georgetown and Lexington for your children and the two are only about 20 miles away ( both towns right off the interstate) so either way it should be an easy commute. I live in Hamburg in Lexington and love it. It's located right off of exit 108 in Lexington, which would be awesome BUT I wouldn't be thrilled about the school district if I had children, unless they could go to Henry Clay or a private school, which by the way, are all great in Lexington.

If you give me a price range I will look for homes that are available for rent. I am a Realtor.

Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:41 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
If you're driving to Georgetown from Lexington, you will probably want to be as close to I-75 as possible (north end of Lexington). Unfortunately, the most popular residential areas (and best schools) are pretty much located south of downtown Lexington and a little farther from the interstate. How much of a commute is your husband willing to consider?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
If you're driving to Georgetown from Lexington, you will probably want to be as close to I-75 as possible (north end of Lexington). Unfortunately, the most popular residential areas (and best schools) are pretty much located south of downtown Lexington and a little farther from the interstate. How much of a commute is your husband willing to consider?
Hi...Thanks for replying to my post....I would love for him not to have to commute too far, he has an hour drive each way here in Dallas...Maybe Georgetown is not a bad idea living there after all.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
Georgetown is indeed cheaper than Lexington, but if you live in Lexington, than your husband will be commuting in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic as many Scott County (Georgetown) residents commute into Fayette County (Lexington) for work. It shouldn't make much of a difference, maybe 10 minutes at the most. Scott County Schools are decent, but still not up to par with Fayette County. Unfortunately in Fayette County, most of the good schools are located on the south side of town. Don't rule out private schools, I attend one here and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience there.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,781 times
Hi,
First I would like to say you are going to Love it here! I have lived in the Georgetown/Lexington area my whole life! Please let me know if I can help you with any questions you may have! I also work for an extended stay property and I would love to send you information or help you with any accomodations you may need during your move or while you visist and look for a home!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
There is one for rent right behind me in Andover Hills that has 4 bedrooms/2.5 baths. The current tenant has kept it up beatiful. This neighborhood is in the Athens-Chileburg elementary/Edythe J. Hayes Middle/Henry Clay High district. It also has easy access to the interstate. PM me for more info, since I don't really want to post the address for the house right behind me!!

(Please tell me you don't keep alot of barking dogs tied up outside or anything like that?!?)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 PM

201 posts, read 478,938 times
If you're kids excel in athletics I'd go with Scott County HS..

Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersd1 View Post
If you're kids excel in athletics I'd go with Scott County HS..
Thank you...That is good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area