Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and decided to sign up to ask a question. I lived in Lexington a few years ago and really want to move back after I'm done with grad school in a few months. I know there are a lot of questions about apartments, but my searches didn't come up with anything about historic ones.

Basically, I'd like to live downtown (or close to it) and I'd LOVE to live in one of the beautiful old buildings that are all over the place. All of the apartment search sites only seem to offer the big complexes out in Sprawlville, which I'm dead-set against. I don't mind paying a little extra for some character (rent there is so cheap compared to where I'm living now that it'll probably still seem like a great deal!)

So... does anyone know of any specific property management companies that rent in old homes? I don't have a problem with the 3rd street area or north of it.

Thanks so much! Lexington is fabulous and I really hope I can find a job there and move back. I miss my Mellow Mushroom and Ale8!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Check out CoolSpaces.com - Loft living in Lexington and Louisville Kentucky. While most of their spaces are for sell I know that many have been bought for rental. It might be worth checking with McGoodwin to see if they have any contact info for the rental owners.
Here is another link that might help you:
LDDA - Real Estate downtown (http://www.lexingtondda.com/real%20estate.htm - broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 04:03 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
I probably won't be much help here, but take a look at some of the developments on the corner of Main and Rose, MLK and Short, and what will be built soon near Gratz Park. Those apartments are supposed to be very nice, none of which are open just yet though...

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 PM

218 posts, read 637,153 times
What part of historic do you not understand? A brand new building in a "historic" area is not quite what I think he had in mind. "I'd LOVE to live in one of the beautiful old buildings that are all over the place." usually means that the north side of town is where he'd prefer.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Many of the new lofts are redone historical buildings. Kimball Square on Limestone is a prime example. However if bluetobboggan wants an apartment in a historic building that is not a redo there are several but I don't know of one specific company that handles historic rentals. Does anyone else?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
What part of historic do you not understand? A brand new building in a "historic" area is not quite what I think he had in mind. "I'd LOVE to live in one of the beautiful old buildings that are all over the place." usually means that the north side of town is where he'd prefer.
OK smartass what I meant were those condos on MLK and Short that are being renovated inside that older building. Wow what's your deal? Yeah north central would be ok for apartments (3rd st.) but driving around there everyday I don't see many apartments except those old run down things around 4th st. Would you "LOVE" to live in those dumps?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
This is really uncalled for and I think we all knew what he meant! The Lexington forum has always been very amiable, helpful, welcoming, etc. We really don't want to give newcomers or people considering returning the impression that the people here are unkind. We also don't want to chase away the contributors who have been consistently generous with their time and knowledge.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,428 times
Most of the apts in historic homes are in the downtown area - both sides of Main street (north and south). I would suspect that few of those owners use rental companies because the apts are so easy to rent to students. You can typically see a sign in the yard or a window. You would be able to find apts from Third Street up to Maxwell Street. Your best option might be to make a trip here to visit the areas and simply drive up these streets that have that type of housing. I would bet once the student population moves out that you might find many options available allowing you to have more of a choice.

Perhaps someone will know of a particular company and I'll ask a couple people about it as well and let you know if I find out anything.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
There really aren't that many rules to this forum, but the main one (aside from more legalistic, commercial types) is "no personal attacks". Many of us frequently throw out information that may or may not respond perfectly to the original poster but that also might be helpful (or may be our best effort to be helpful even though we don't have any information that is directly relevant - I'm guilty of this a lot). So again, add information if you have some to add, but don't go after anyone. Please? My skin is thick ... and someone put a big target on my back ... so you can pick on me if you want

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoboggan View Post
Hello all,
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and decided to sign up to ask a question. I lived in Lexington a few years ago and really want to move back after I'm done with grad school in a few months. I know there are a lot of questions about apartments, but my searches didn't come up with anything about historic ones.

Basically, I'd like to live downtown (or close to it) and I'd LOVE to live in one of the beautiful old buildings that are all over the place. All of the apartment search sites only seem to offer the big complexes out in Sprawlville, which I'm dead-set against. I don't mind paying a little extra for some character (rent there is so cheap compared to where I'm living now that it'll probably still seem like a great deal!)

So... does anyone know of any specific property management companies that rent in old homes? I don't have a problem with the 3rd street area or north of it.

Thanks so much! Lexington is fabulous and I really hope I can find a job there and move back. I miss my Mellow Mushroom and Ale8!

Craigslist. Its the way to go. The Lexington section is small but there are a decnet selection if you watch every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area