Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 11:04 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are interested in Lexington KY but before we think about this area we want to ensure that there are lots of opportunities for adult education, lifelong learning, continuing education - or whatever the city calls it there.

Specifically we are interested in musical opportunities, community orchestra, community band, choral groups, recorder groups, and also are interested in art classes of all sorts.

Can someone who lives in Lexington help us with where to start looking, or advise us which colleges or groups host these activities?

Thanks so much for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
When my Dad retired he got bored with retirement life, and went back to college (he had already went and completed college several times in his life), but he enjoyed this because he said it kept his mind fresh...and he found out that if there are room in classes, college in Kentucky was free for people over 65....looks like it might still be.

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Kentucky

Senior Citizens | Bluegrass Community & Technical College

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UK | University of Kentucky College of Public Health

The Bell House in Lexington offers free recreational opportunities for seniors...open to the public for anyone over 60.
LexingtonKy.gov : Senior Adults

The Carnegie Center for Literacy offers a lot of events and classes on a wide range of subjects....although not specifically designed for seniors, I have heard seniors do like to take advantage of this program.
The Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning HOME - The Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning

AARP listed Lexington as one 15 cities wanting to be great for Senior Citizens.
Slideshow - Best Cities for Successful Aging 2014, Milken Institute - AARP

Several area Churches have outreach and activity program for seniors in the community.
Centenary United Methodist Church | Seniors of Centenary (SOCS).

Senior Adult Ministries: Immanuel Baptist Church - Frankfort, Kentucky

You can find different meet up groups in Lexington here
Meetups near Lexington, Kentucky - Meetup

New Horizons Music Organization is open for people 50 and older, and might interest you.
New Horizons Music Organization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqkeWllaOQ

^That is not really a complete list, and I don't have first hand info on the links, but you can check them out and see how they pan out.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Thank you so much. I will check out all these. I had seen UK's OLLI offerings and they are great. Will look at all the rest now.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:56 PM

There are also a lot of free activities (and/or inexpensive ones) in Lexington.

Free Things to Do in the Horse Capital of the World: Lexington, Kentucky

155 Free and Cheap Things to Do in Lexington,*KY | TripBuzz

The Top 10 Things to Do in Lexington - TripAdvisor - Lexington, KY Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in September

Also, Kentucky does not tax retirement income, which is great for Seniors (the Federal Government still does though).

Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Great! I've just been reading up about the band, haven't managed to find the orchestra yet, tho. Tks again so much.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM

The Lexington Free Library offers free computer classes for adults.

Free Computer Classes at Lexington Library

Interestingly enough reading some of the information, I see that I can qualify for a few of these programs...
AARP keeps mailing me information that I qualify as a Senior now, so I guess that makes sense.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 AM

Yes, you qualify but you have to get a few more years on you before the real benefits come your way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: