Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 01:52 PM

55 posts, read 58,613 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at the potential of moving to Richmond KY for a job. The nature of the job isn't really relevant, as our main concern is the landscape.

We grew up in Appalachia and have always been involved in some kind of hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, etc. I notice that the Richmond area is relatively flat, and to my surprise, very lacking in trees. Does anyone know why there aren't a lot of trees?

We aren't sure about the wide open feel and would really want to find a house that has a little bit of a 'foresty' vibe.

We think the city itself looks great, as well as the job that we might be taking. We are just not sure how we will enjoy our free time given the relative lack of forest in the immediate area. We do enjoy road cycling, which seems doable, but the dense Appalachian forest is something we are likely to miss.

I thought I would post and get an opinion on whether people from the local area think there is enough to entertain us and satisfy our need for hiking/biking/kayaking/etc.

Any thoughts/comments?

P.S. we are also vegetarians. How is the restaurant scene?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,382,179 times
Richmond is on the edge of the Appalachian Plateau. 15 miles East or south has hiking and forest. Berea attracts a lot of progressive types. Indian Fort area has good hiking

Old 11-25-2015, 04:41 AM

55 posts, read 58,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Richmond is on the edge of the Appalachian Plateau. 15 miles East or south has hiking and forest. Berea attracts a lot of progressive types. Indian Fort area has good hiking
Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't heard of the Indian Fort area, but I will look into it.

Is living in Berea and commuting to Richmond common? How much of a pain would that be in my daily life?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,382,179 times
No, there aren't really any traffic jams between the two and it's only 10 miles apart anyway. Richmond has more national retailers for shopping and Lexington has just about everything in terms of common big box retailers and restaurants. You should be able to find some vegan friendly restaurants in Richmond and Berea given both are college towns, Lexington would have more.

As far as bike only trails, the only one I know of in that region is around the Lexington, it goes from near downtown Lex out to the horse park. Cincinnati and Louisville have many miles of bike / ped paths and more are being built. The Rockcastle River is located the next county south of Richmond / Berea and is popular for kayaking.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:14 PM

14,695 posts, read 8,012,131 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Jw4bQbRzo

Actually, Richmond isn't really that far from the mountains.

https://www.vrg.org/restaurant/Kentucky.php

10 Best Lexington, KY Vegetarian Restaurants on TripAdvisor - Compare 13 Vegetarian Restaurants in Lexington with 1,357 Reviews

Old 12-05-2015, 11:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,834,226 times
You can see the mountains from downtown Richmond. They are about a fifteen-minute drive away, and are heavily wooded. Richmond itself is located in the Outer Bluegrass, which like the Inner Bluegrass, is rolling, pastoral land with groves of trees here and there, fencerows, but few woods, other than in the Kentucky River Palisades (the Kentucky River forms the northern boundary of Madison County, which contains both Richmond and Berea).

Berea College owns hundreds of acres of wooded, mountainous land close to the town of Berea. Most of this land is open to the public for hiking and picnicking. Indian Fort Mountain is the best known part of this area - it's about a ten-minute drive from downtown Berea, and includes a network of trails, picnic tables, and also hosts craft fairs twice a year. There are some excellent videos of Indian Fort Mountain's trails on YouTube.

South of town (about fifteen or twenty minutes' drive) is Anglin Falls Preserve, also owned by Berea College. The falls and their surroundings are spectacular, especially in the fall and spring, when the ground is carpeted by spring ephemeral wildflowers.

There is a nice level, paved bike trail from downtown Berea out to the newish Kentucky Artisan Center, which overlooks the northernmost I-75 exit to Berea. Berea itself is bicycle friendly.

Both of these areas are easily accessible from Richmond. Also close at hand is the Richmond Battlefield Park, a Civil War site which hosts an annual reenactment and has historic structures on site.

Also, Irvine, a town southeast of Richmond, hosts a spring festival focussing on "mountain mushrooms" and Kentucky agate, which is found in the streams of this area.

It sounds as if Berea would be a good fit for you, and vice versa.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,825 times
To the OP...did you end up relocating? Im seeking the same thing...just swap the cycling with a pool!

To add to this post...safety is a priority for me...and seeking an inexpensive home for under 100k. Im hearing some so/so things regarding crime in the Berea area as well as a growing substance abuse problem. Are there some better options near by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area