Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:22 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady3388 View Post
Hogsrus. I don't have a clear picture of the crime yet in Richmond. Perhaps it is such a nebulous thing it really can't be pinned down. Why Richmond? I already have stated that a house came up that met my stringent needs and they don't come along often and still be affordable. Why Kentucky? Because it is one of the states I earmarked as reasonable as far as property taxes and middle-range weather. Neither too miserably hot or too miserably cold. I currently live out in Podunk in PA with a population of less than 500 and I hate it. I am planning on getting out of here as quick as I find all of my stars lining up properly. That means a home in a relative crime-free area, the standards I have to have in a home, easily accessible "conveniences" such as good vets, doctors, groceries, banking...the usual stuff without having to drive more than 15 minutes and it would be nice to have the luxuries somewhat accessible like a symphony, art museum, art galleries which would indicate a larger city hopefully within 30 to 45 minutes away. Having access to some kind of college/university would also be a plus. My husband will most likely be dead within the next 2 to 4 years. I would like very much to be moved, settled and have a better handle of getting along by myself by that time. It is important for me to be able to get around by myself where I don't get flustered. Larger towns and cities scare me and this could certainly curtail my being able to go into a larger city for the finer, cultural things. EKU would certainly be a plus, although I would not put it at the same standards as say a symphony or art museum in Lexington. I have no ulterior motives. Really. I am mostly a homebody and the house I choose is extremely important. My preferred states are TN and NC, but right now there is nothing there housewise. Fortunately for now, I still have time, but the clock is ticking and I will continue to look.
It sounds like one of the smaller cities in Kentucky might be just right for you. You would be close to the things that you are looking for - many of the smaller towns and cities have relatively little crime, especially violent crime. (I have lived over 5 decades mostly in Lexington and have never been a victim of crime - if you don't take drugs, live a quiet and law abiding lifestyle, and use common sense (stay away from certain types of people and certain places, especially in the middle of the night), then it is unlikely you would become a victim of violent crime.

In most places you will find a bit more crime than in Podunk - the more people you have then it means more capacity for crime,(but also more culture, and more to do.) but Kentucky towns usually rank on the low end of the scale in terms of how crime ridden they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:17 AM

72 posts, read 157,486 times
Hogsrus: I don't think building would not even be plausible. Custom building is always more expensive and my budget is very constrained...I wouldn't be able to handle more than 175K. What I would be looking for (and yes, they are all deal breakers) is: hardwood/laminate/tile throughout, open, large finished basement and at the very least a larger single garage, but a double would absolutely be better. All of this with sq footage of no less than 2,300 sq ft. Yes, I have seen them and it is possible, but not easy to come by and I need to stay in my lower-priced states: KY, TN, NC and WV. I'm hoping come Spring, more opportunities will come up.

Crazee Cat Lady: When you say smaller cities, what size are you referring to? I think I would be happier in about 30K to 60K with a larger city within 15 or 20 minutes. Larger cities like Lexington would be fine provided I can get in and navigate easily. I really wouldn't be going in very often. And sometimes 60K has the extra advantages I would be looking for - primarily the arts, symphony, shows. If it is a college town, some of these things are available without having to troop off to a larger city. I am absolutely most comfortable in the suburbs...just not a city person at all. But I do like the some of the perks that are more readily offered in larger cities. Honestly, I don't want to sound like a paranoid person regarding crime. I know it is all around. But we have been very lucky that we have never really been bothered by it anywhere we have always lived. And I sure don't want to start now especially since I will eventually be left alone. I don't hang with people that are into anything shady. It just seems like the more I read, the more I hear about this meth problem is spreading to the point where they will break-in day or night looking for stuff to steal to keep their habit going and don't even get me started on how much cheaper heroin is these days because of the high cost of oxycontin or whatever you call it. Maybe I read too much!

Old 02-19-2016, 06:26 PM

28 posts, read 32,698 times
lavendarlady

You and I are in the same boat! My husband and I are looking to retire in the next year or two. We want to get out of Illinois. I am drawn to the Lex area because of the beauty and HORSES! I'm not sure I want to be in a big city like Lex so we have been researching Georgetown, Frankfort, Richmond, Nicholasville, and Danville. We are looking for 3-4 bedrooms, with a basement, for about $200,000, atleast 2200 sq. ft. Not easy, is it?!

I have been doing on-line research for the past several months. Research never hurts!
We are taking a visit in May. I'll let you know what I think.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:35 AM

72 posts, read 157,486 times
Yes, do keep us posted Mindysub.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Bumping this thread up to the top because I'm wondering what you decided, Lavenderlady. And anyone else who is searching for a great little town near Lexington (but not in it) to retire to.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Richmond is basically a misplaced Appalachian mountain town, that happens to be located where the Bluegrass region transitions into the Appalachian foothills. It is full of the types of characters you'd expected to find living in Appalachia living amongst the gradual trickle of ex-Lexington suburban dwellers who have moved there since the 1980s. Its economy is somewhat based on manufacturing, but primarily based on the presence of Eastern Kentucky University.

I haven't been a fan of Richmond since I was a little kid. The town never appealed to me very much, and it still doesn't. However, having some of the cheapest housing stock in the Lexington area has turned the town into exurbia/light suburbia since the 1980s.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM

193 posts, read 512,229 times
I'd like more info too about areas around Lexington. I'd love to live in Lexington but can't afford it since we want some acreage. I've been talking to real estate agents and they mentioned Georgetown and Winchester. My sister lives in Nicholasville and my nephew in Lexington and I love the area. Want to get out of TN!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:50 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Trying to remember - Kentucky and Tennessee - one has state income tax and the other doesn't.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:51 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Trying to remember - Kentucky and Tennessee - one has state income tax and the other doesn't.
Correct, Kentucky has a state income tax and Tennessee does not have a state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area