U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM

39 posts, read 110,866 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of new at this...how do I find the 'photo section'- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 AM

5,856 posts, read 13,053,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishard2 View Post
I'm sort of new at this...how do I find the 'photo section'- Thanks!
Here are the photo sticky locations:

Lexington (including surrounding countryside)
Lexington photo "sticky"

Louisville
--- city Louisville photo "sticky"
--- new developments
Louisville development "sticky"

Rural KY
Rural KY photo "sticky"

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
PAB

6 posts, read 8,679 times
I'm new to this forum, did you get your question answered totally? I personally like Scott County, we live in Victoria Estates which has lake and equestrian center in development. Most home owners have 1-3 acres, property taxes low, we are unincorperated so no city tax...we are 20 minutes to major shopping and there are lot's of great deals on small farms surrounding this area. They are also building and completion date 2010 major huge shopping similar to the Hamburg Pavillion area.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,562 times
I too am thinking about moving to KY but am in a different boat and was hoping to get some help. My wife and I are both physicians with one child and hopefully 4 more to come. We are looking for an area that we could buy 10-20 acres hopefully on a lake or river that has a good school system and low crime. The only thing is it has to be near a big city with large hospitals. We want to build a modern timber/log home that has a small size farm attached to it so it has to be somewhere also that we are not going to run into building regulations or farm animal violations (if there are such laws). To give you my idea of an ideal city it would be Nashville ( clean, unique, alive, growing, new, fun ). Is there such an area in Kentucky?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,596,599 times
Stanfordballard, you may want to start a new thread, as some of your requirements differ from those of the original poster.

That said, each of you might want to look at some of the rural land presently for sale near the Kentucky River in western Woodford County. This is not the part of Woodford County traditionally known for its fabulous thoroughbred horse farms, but is gorgeous, though less "manicured" than the horse farms around Versailles and Midway, and prices are surprisingly reasonable. I know of several beautiful, if not polished, rural properties (some with, some without houses and/or barns) that have been for sale for several months in this area.

The soil is not as rich in this area as in the better-known horse farm area but it certainly can support both livestock and crops, and the wooded, very scenic Kentucky River Palisades nearby are remarkable for their wealth of plant and animal life. Lexington is less than an hour away from this part of Woodford County.

You can find similar land in Jessamine County near the river and also across the river in Anderson and Garrard Counties. A log house would look very much at home in this area, and there are several simple boat docks and launching ramps along the river, along with weekend cottages and camps that might also interest you (just get above the flood line).

Fayette County zoning may prevent you from buying less than forty acres in the "protected" area, a measure designed to preserve our historic horse farms. It is possible that you might find a rural property of less size that is grandfathered in, however, but Fayette County rural bluegrass land is very expensive.

Lexington is not Nashville by a long shot, but has its own considerable charm and plenty of good (and large) hospitals. Good schools can be found in both Woodford and Fayette Counties. If you examine what's available within the Bluegrass as a whole (i.e., Fayette County and the counties which surround it), you will find a wealth of opportunities of various kinds.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,275,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville is a much larger and more sophisticated city in every way--from arts, to restaurants, to shopping and everything in between.
First time I've seen this post. Louisville is more "sophisticated" than Lexington? Wow, are you trying to stir up something or what? Louisville is simply larger than Lexington, nothing else.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,275,778 times
SW Lexington and SE Lexington along with older neighborhoods such as Ashland Park, Chevy Chase, Fairway, Lakewood to name a few.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 AM

277 posts, read 301,697 times
i've always liked andover forest because of the tree's

Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM

930 posts, read 1,621,036 times
I'm with you Kingping. Plus you have Hamburg right across the street, a nice city park on Pleasant Ridge, and easy interstate access!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM

5,856 posts, read 13,053,187 times
Wilmore is my favorite place the metro area because it is a rural small college town just 10 minutes from tons of shopping and restaurants. It just has the rustic feel to it much like Crestwood or Pewee Valley in Oldham County. It has a nice one block downtown with several restaurants and antique stores too.

A couple of Wilmore street views
362 State Highway 1268 Versailles KY - Google Maps

114 asbury drive wilmore ky - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area