U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 PM

39 posts, read 106,142 times
Default Best areas in lexington?

Hi!-If anyone out there could tell me what are the best areas in the outskirts of Lexington to look to buy...we are looking for nice horse property, in a nice, safe area. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue. We love the outdoors, and welcome the activities to match! We have been looking in the Jefferson Co. area near L'ville, but I think we need to broaden our search. I'm thinking the home values are a bit better near the Lex. area, since it's a smaller town? I may be wrong, but would really appreciate any input any of you have to offer! Thanks so much in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 AM

526 posts, read 1,477,406 times
draw a circle around Lexington with a radius of approx. 30-35 miles, and you'll find pretty good areas everywhere.... and you can get into the city in 30-45 minutes. Beautiful land in all directions, just depends on what you're looking for and price.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM

486 posts, read 1,172,652 times
What is your price range? Anything around Lexington really is nice like mentioned above. There are two areas of Lexington I personally would stay away from: north and west Lexington inside New Circle Road, but I suspect you are looking at homes and property outside of New Circle, correct?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 AM

678 posts, read 1,982,073 times
There are nice areas all around Lexington. From my experiences, I think that you would find some areas that you would really like in Bourbon, Woodford and Scott County, although the town of Georgetown in Scott County is growing a lot so I would stick to the more outlying areas of the county. Some people on here really like the areas to the east and south as well (Jessamine, etc, although Jessamine is also growing a lot). How far do you want to be from the main areas of Lexington?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for all of your replys...Our price range is up to 350,000, and don't need to commute to town, so it doesn't really matter how far out. We would just like a safe, pretty place to live and call home. Do any of you have a preference as far as L'ville and Lex. go? I'm still trying to figure out what area to target, and if it would be better to be near Lex., because it has been called a town, where L'Ville has been refered to as more of a city. We're not the 'big city' type of people! Thanks again

Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Where exactly IS New Circle Rd. inside the city limits? Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,172,652 times
New Circle Road is inside the city limits (technically all of Fayette County is LEX city limits). It's a rather poor excuse for a beltway (L'ville has 264 and 265). Basically it creates a ring with about a 2 mile radius around downtown. Property inside New Circle is usually significantly more expensive than outside of New Circle. Lexington is more of the large town feel while Louisville is more of a city feel. As to where around Lexington you should consider- you really won't go wrong anywhere you go. The south side of Lexington and Jessamine County are more populated than the Clark County and Woodford County sides. Scott County is more populated than Clark and Woodford, but less than Jessamine. Bourbon County as I understand is more expensive than some of the other surrounding counties due to some of the MASSIVE horse farms located there (less land for sale). I personally don't like Louisville, I prefer Cincinnati by long shot. I am a Lexington native so I prefer Lexington over Louisville naturally. In terms of prices, Lexington is actually more expensive than Louisville to live in (strange, huh?). Anyways, $350,000 will get you a nice home (3- 5 bedrooms usually)- except in some areas of zip code 40502 (SE Lexington inside New Circle Road). Most major retailers (Target, Sam's Club, Fayette Mall, etc.) are located on the south and east sides of town- west and north are older local establishments, usually.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM

46 posts, read 180,266 times
What is your definition of "horse property" ? Are you in the horse industry oa are you wanting to keep a few animals for your own pleasure riding. This would be helpful to know just how far out of town you will have to look

Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM

526 posts, read 1,477,406 times
and how many acres are you looking for?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,670,887 times
Louisville is a much larger and more sophisticated city in every way--from arts, to restaurants, to shopping and everything in between. Ironically, Louisville has less traffic because of a far superior freeway system (Lexington has none). Homes in Louisvile are also cheaper in general, and believe it or not, the violent crime rate for the two cities is nearly identical (and low). Louisville is not neccessarily a "big city." I consider it family friendly and midsized (but I have also lived in much larger cities). But there is just a lot more opportunity in Louisivlle in every way. If you do not want to live in Louisville or Lexington, the outlying counties around Louisville, especially Oldham County, is much nicer than anything around Lexington. I think you should consider Oldham County. For more info, contact Tomocox. He's our Northeast Louisville suburb/Oldham County expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area