U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM

193 posts, read 465,168 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Chicago area and miss it greatly. Only moved due to my husband retiring. We've lived in the middle of nowhere twice (Virginia and TN) and now it's my turn to make a choice of where to live. My sister lives in Lexington as well as my nephew. My sister and her husband LOVE it but my nephew can't wait to leave (I know the reasons for this). However, as I'm tired of moving but want to live by my sister in Lexington and this would be my retirement home. Any pros/cons would be appreciated. I still have to work about 5-7 more years - how is the job market as well? Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:52 PM

15 posts, read 15,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I'm from the Chicago area and miss it greatly. Only moved due to my husband retiring. We've lived in the middle of nowhere twice (Virginia and TN) and now it's my turn to make a choice of where to live. My sister lives in Lexington as well as my nephew. My sister and her husband LOVE it but my nephew can't wait to leave (I know the reasons for this). However, as I'm tired of moving but want to live by my sister in Lexington and this would be my retirement home. Any pros/cons would be appreciated. I still have to work about 5-7 more years - how is the job market as well? Thanks for any input.
I'm sure I'll be involved in this thread a bit more later but a couple of things right off the bat. I'll state my honest opinion and that is the job market is DECENT. Not great but not awful. The largest employer in Lexington is the university and I think it's the best place to work in town.

Another pro would be that Lexington is NOT the middle of nowhere. There's a little bit here for everyone, in my opinion.

I'll also add in that I just returned from Chicago and made it to the south side in 5 hours. So there's that. Close proximity.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 PM

9,289 posts, read 5,072,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
Lexington, Kentucky - In Photos: The 25 Best Places To Retire In 2013 - Forbes

Yes, the job market is pretty good in Lexington - ....a lot depends on your occupation or career choices.

Jobs, Employment in Lexington, KY | Indeed.com

I don't know the exact details, but I know that in general Kentucky doesn't tax retirement pay.

Retire to One of These 5 Great Small Cities | TIME

kentucky retirement guide

In Kentucky you can go to college for free if you are over 65 (if there is room in the classes)...My dad who had of-course went to college when he was younger, did this after he retired, and he loved it! He said it helped keep him sharp!

Lexington, KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTCR9VvAQ0

Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 AM

11,023 posts, read 22,480,788 times
You'd like Lexington a lot more than Sparta TN. It's a small / mid sized city with very low crime (homicide rate around 4 per 100k), just about every major chain store or restaurant, and a highly educated population. It's just over an hour to Louisville or Cincinnati and 5/6 to Chicago.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I agree that I'd like Lexington more than Sparta, TN. I go about every other month and love it. It has a lot more to offer. Only problem I'm having now is the cost of living is higher, homes cost more, etc. but I'm not giving up yet!

Old 06-22-2016, 03:54 PM

11,023 posts, read 22,480,788 times
Lexington is getting pricier, you might look in Nicholasville or Georgetown for cheaper houses

Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Lexington is getting pricier, you might look in Nicholasville or Georgetown for cheaper houses
You're not kidding! Realtors are having a hard time finding properties for me in Lexington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area