Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

I was shocked to discover today that a 1930s Kentucky River marble stone house that stood near the corner of Hart and Cochran Roads is now a pile of rubble, evidently to be replaced by a larger, no doubt more profitable new house. The lost story and a half house was in good condition and was quite attractive, as it was a "Cotswold cottage" or "Storybook Style" structure, with an off-center chimney next to the front door. It is very likely that it was built by J.W. Davis, the builder of many Chevy Chase houses back in the 1930s. His houses were sturdy, attractive, well-designed and made use of varied styles, all of which contributed to Chevy Chase's ongoing beauty and continued desirability as a neighborhood.

Chevy Chase has a neighborhood overlay, but it only pertains to remodels and additions, not to demolition, unfortunately. It seems that very few in our neighborhood were aware that this house was endangered, as only those within 50 feet of proposed demolitions are legally required to be notified by local government. That would include the two next-door neighbors and perhaps the residents of the house across the street. Word did not travel very far in advance of the demolition, unfortunately.

No signs appeared in the front yard; no notices were in the local paper and nothing was announced by the neighborhood association. This all needs to change, or we'll lose more similar houses, quietly and quickly, to those driven by the almighty dollar and profit rather than by the best interests of our neighborhood.

It is sad that our neighborhood's history, best interests, and the character of Chevy Chase are clearly not valued by whoever owns this property and made the (no doubt financially driven) decision to tear down this pretty, sound, historically and architecturally significant but modest house. I hope whatever replaces it it is not an overblown, bloated McMansion or Garage Mahal, which despite the well-intentioned neighborhood overlay, are still quite possible, as can be seen in other recent rebuilds nearby.

I'd urge other Chevy Chase residents and others with an interest in preservation to make phone calls and emails to those elected and appointed officials, as well as to local historic preservation groups to voice their concerns. If this continues, much of what makes Chevy Chase itself will be lost to those who have no appreciation for its history and significance.

This house wasn't the late lamented Mount Brilliant, which met a similar fate despite its great beauty and major historical significance, but it was important, and now, like Mount Brilliant, it is also lost. It took with it some of my neighborhood's charm and character and history, and it took some of my own personal history, too, as I am a long-time resident of Chevy Chase.

I don't want to lose any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 01:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I was shocked to discover today that a 1930s Kentucky River marble stone house that stood near the corner of Hart and Cochran Roads is now a pile of rubble, evidently to be replaced by a larger, no doubt more profitable new house. The lost story and a half house was in good condition and was quite attractive, as it was a "Cotswold cottage" or "Storybook Style" structure, with an off-center chimney next to the front door. It is very likely that it was built by J.W. Davis, the builder of many Chevy Chase houses back in the 1930s. His houses were sturdy, attractive, well-designed and made use of varied styles, all of which contributed to Chevy Chase's ongoing beauty and continued desirability as a neighborhood.

Chevy Chase has a neighborhood overlay, but it only pertains to remodels and additions, not to demolition, unfortunately. It seems that very few in our neighborhood were aware that this house was endangered, as only those within 50 feet of proposed demolitions are legally required to be notified by local government. That would include the two next-door neighbors and perhaps the residents of the house across the street. Word did not travel very far in advance of the demolition, unfortunately.

No signs appeared in the front yard; no notices were in the local paper and nothing was announced by the neighborhood association. This all needs to change, or we'll lose more similar houses, quietly and quickly, to those driven by the almighty dollar and profit rather than by the best interests of our neighborhood.

It is sad that our neighborhood's history, best interests, and the character of Chevy Chase are clearly not valued by whoever owns this property and made the (no doubt financially driven) decision to tear down this pretty, sound, historically and architecturally significant but modest house. I hope whatever replaces it it is not an overblown, bloated McMansion or Garage Mahal, which despite the well-intentioned neighborhood overlay, are still quite possible, as can be seen in other recent rebuilds nearby.

I'd urge other Chevy Chase residents and others with an interest in preservation to make phone calls and emails to those elected and appointed officials, as well as to local historic preservation groups to voice their concerns. If this continues, much of what makes Chevy Chase itself will be lost to those who have no appreciation for its history and significance.

This house wasn't the late lamented Mount Brilliant, which met a similar fate despite its great beauty and major historical significance, but it was important, and now, like Mount Brilliant, it is also lost. It took with it some of my neighborhood's charm and character and history, and it took some of my own personal history, too, as I am a long-time resident of Chevy Chase.

I don't want to lose any more.

This is awful! You know, Lexington has done a much better job preserving its historic charm than much of the state (ahem, Louisville). So this surprises me.

Craigcreek, I consider Chevy Chase to be well preserved, and probably the most attractive "urban" neighborhood in Lexington. Am I missing something? Have there been more recent demos that I am not aware of?

I believe I recall reading about Mt Brilliant last year, but I have never been there. I recall it had falling bricks and would have been millions to rehab.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is awful! You know, Lexington has done a much better job preserving its historic charm than much of the state (ahem, Louisville). So this surprises me.

Craigcreek, I consider Chevy Chase to be well preserved, and probably the most attractive "urban" neighborhood in Lexington. Am I missing something? Have there been more recent demos that I am not aware of?

I believe I recall reading about Mt Brilliant last year, but I have never been there. I recall it had falling bricks and would have been millions to rehab.
Perhaps. Chevy Chase residential parts are fairly well preserved. The commercial strip though is always in flux and is making some what of a comeback now. It is home to Lexington's oldest Bar though--what locals call CCI (Chevy Chase Inn) and the owners are the same as Bourbon 'n' Toulouse which is OKAY cajun food but I prefer Gumbo Ya Ya. There's more of an effort to move in more modern-style, new American cuisine restaurant options and higher end boutiques. I'm fine with all that.

Overall I'm probably splitting hairs but I'd say the area near Transy--2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th between Jefferson, Broadway, Limestone and bordered by Loudon on the North side and Main/Vine or up to Maxwell on the South side contain more BGT (Bluegrass Trust) homes and has much more historic preservation than Chevy Chase.

Not sure how many BGT homes are in the general Chevy Chase area but the boundaries are kinda fudged by a lot of people (myself included) so if you mean over to Ashland Park or Kenwick, then I'd say they're a little more equal. That area, of course, includes Ashland--The Henry Clay Estate. Chevy Chase also has closer proximity to UK but UK's campus quite frankly is like a FEMA camp right now with all the construction. Plus, in terms of history, the University of Louisville is a much older school. Though both have undergone (or are currently undergoing) fairly massive transformations in recent years.

The aforementioned area contains Transylvania, Hampton Ct, The Faulkner House, The January House, Botherum and the Pope Villa. But again, splitting hairs, overall.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Chevy Chase does not have historic zoning, whereas Ashland Park and the downtown area described above do. A few Chevy Chase houses bear BGT plaques, which require their owners to document the ownership and history of the house, but these are privately acquired/given and provide no protection from demolition.

Chevy Chase does have a neighborhood overlay, hard-fought for by many residents several years ago in association with the Chevy Chase Neighborhood Association. It provides requirements for additions and renovations to help preserve the external look and character of the area - roofs of additions must conform with the height of existing roofs, a certain proportion of new walls must be windows, and so on. There are no requirements for interior changes - and the overlay only concerns additions and renovations, not demolitions.

There's a big hole up on Culpeper Drive right now, formerly occupied by the basement of a now demolished house. That's technically outside the bounds of both Chevy Chase and Ashland Park. Another house on that block was torn down and replaced by a house which is huge - it's attractive enough, but looks very out of place on this older street because of its size, as it presents a modest face to the street but goes back and back and back - and is located on a corner lot, so the size is very visible.

I've made lots of calls about this situation, and here's some of what I've learned:

There are no current applications for demolitions in Chevy Chase - at least, that was the case at the end of last week when I made inquiries. I hope that remains the case. I did not inquire about Ashland Park, but requirements are much more stringent there, due to historic zoning.

The Urban County Government Office of Historic Preservation placed a 30-day hold on demolition of the Hart Road house, which was built in 1938 and was one of the original Chevy Chase houses. They also photographed and documented it both inside and out. That's all they legally could do, although they were also distressed by this situation. The demolished house had a small addition on the back, which was not visible from the street. It had two or three bedrooms (accounts differ) and two bathrooms and had been maintained in good condition inside and out.

I am told that the replacement house will be around 4,800 square feet, but that construction has been delayed because given the size of the house compared to the size of the lot, both sewage and water lines were initially unable to fit in. The lot is fairly narrow but is said to be deep. I do not know its exact dimensions.

I do know who the owners of the lot are - they plan to move into the new house and sell their current Chevy Chase house, which is quite nearby, was large for an original Chevy Chase house (2 1/2 stories) and sports an newer extremely large rear addition. I am not going to identify the owners, nor do I know them personally or anything about their motivation other than evidently wanting to have a very large house in a popular neighborhood in which the existing older homes are much more modestly scaled. Perhaps they have twelve children and need a large house. I just don't know.

The best way to prevent this from recurring would be historic zoning. Clearly, Chevy Chase would qualify. But whether the majority of the present residents would agree to it is unknown. Perhaps a survey might be helpful, or better yet, creating a more moderate form of zoning protection which would not be as stringent as current historic zoning requirements, yet which would offer some protection to Chevy Chase's and other older neighborhoods' houses.

I've also heard that Southland is presently in danger of flipping, tear-downs, and pop-ups. That would not be surprising, as this more moderately priced neighborhood shares many of Chevy Chase's desirable qualities: convenient shopping, good schools, multiple churches, parks, mature trees, good for walking and biking, close to UK, etc., yet few of its houses have been extensively remodeled or had additions. I am unaware of any tear-downs in Southland recently, but can foresee the danger...On the other hand, sensitive renovations and additions can enhance both a house and its neighborhood, without the kind of loss and destruction recently evidenced on Hart Road.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Chevy Chase does not have historic zoning, whereas Ashland Park and the downtown area described above do. A few Chevy Chase houses bear BGT plaques, which require their owners to document the ownership and history of the house, but these are privately acquired/given and provide no protection from demolition.

Chevy Chase does have a neighborhood overlay, hard-fought for by many residents several years ago in association with the Chevy Chase Neighborhood Association. It provides requirements for additions and renovations to help preserve the external look and character of the area - roofs of additions must conform with the height of existing roofs, a certain proportion of new walls must be windows, and so on. There are no requirements for interior changes - and the overlay only concerns additions and renovations, not demolitions.

There's a big hole up on Culpeper Drive right now, formerly occupied by the basement of a now demolished house. That's technically outside the bounds of both Chevy Chase and Ashland Park. Another house on that block was torn down and replaced by a house which is huge - it's attractive enough, but looks very out of place on this older street because of its size, as it presents a modest face to the street but goes back and back and back - and is located on a corner lot, so the size is very visible.

I've made lots of calls about this situation, and here's some of what I've learned:

There are no current applications for demolitions in Chevy Chase - at least, that was the case at the end of last week when I made inquiries. I hope that remains the case. I did not inquire about Ashland Park, but requirements are much more stringent there, due to historic zoning.

The Urban County Government Office of Historic Preservation placed a 30-day hold on demolition of the Hart Road house, which was built in 1938 and was one of the original Chevy Chase houses. They also photographed and documented it both inside and out. That's all they legally could do, although they were also distressed by this situation. The demolished house had a small addition on the back, which was not visible from the street. It had two or three bedrooms (accounts differ) and two bathrooms and had been maintained in good condition inside and out.

I am told that the replacement house will be around 4,800 square feet, but that construction has been delayed because given the size of the house compared to the size of the lot, both sewage and water lines were initially unable to fit in. The lot is fairly narrow but is said to be deep. I do not know its exact dimensions.

I do know who the owners of the lot are - they plan to move into the new house and sell their current Chevy Chase house, which is quite nearby, was large for an original Chevy Chase house (2 1/2 stories) and sports an newer extremely large rear addition. I am not going to identify the owners, nor do I know them personally or anything about their motivation other than evidently wanting to have a very large house in a popular neighborhood in which the existing older homes are much more modestly scaled. Perhaps they have twelve children and need a large house. I just don't know.

The best way to prevent this from recurring would be historic zoning. Clearly, Chevy Chase would qualify. But whether the majority of the present residents would agree to it is unknown. Perhaps a survey might be helpful, or better yet, creating a more moderate form of zoning protection which would not be as stringent as current historic zoning requirements, yet which would offer some protection to Chevy Chase's and other older neighborhoods' houses.

I've also heard that Southland is presently in danger of flipping, tear-downs, and pop-ups. That would not be surprising, as this more moderately priced neighborhood shares many of Chevy Chase's desirable qualities: convenient shopping, good schools, multiple churches, parks, mature trees, good for walking and biking, close to UK, etc., yet few of its houses have been extensively remodeled or had additions. I am unaware of any tear-downs in Southland recently, but can foresee the danger...On the other hand, sensitive renovations and additions can enhance both a house and its neighborhood, without the kind of loss and destruction recently evidenced on Hart Road.

If Lexington starts to do these tear downs like they do in the sprawlbelt of the south ie Raleigh, etc, it will totally destroy the city. I am totally against tearing down a historic structure, even a mid century ranch, to build a cookie cutter McMansion.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:29 PM

Mt. Brilliant mansion stood for over 200 years on Mt Brilliant Farm, on Russell Cave Pike just outside of Lexington. It was a white-painted brick, columned Greek Revival, very stately home which was strikingly set upon the bluff overlooking the waters of Russell's Cave below. A very early log structure was incorporated within its walls. The house was inhabited until it changed hands shortly before it was demolished, and the original family was devastated by its loss, which they had not anticipated from their dealings with the later owner. But they were powerless to stop the destruction.

It is said that an Indian mound originally stood in the front yard, which was also the site of political barbecues and speeches in the mid-19th century. It was at one of these gatherings that abolitionist, ambassador, newspaper publisher and statesman Cassius Marcellus Clay, aka the Lion of Whitehall, was physically attacked by a political opponent who lived to regret his action, which ended in Clay's drawing his Bowie knife and cutting a slice of his attacker's ear before rolling him over the bluff into the waters emerging from the cave below.

Sso many, many Central Kentuckians were distressed when a new Texan owner went through with his plans to demolish the stately old mansion about ten or fifteen years ago, despite much opposition, petitions, pleas, and more from both historic preservation groups and individuals.

At least some of the handcrafted woodwork and other fixtures were preserved - but I have no idea where they may be at present, or if their current owners know anything about their provenance.

Sadly, Mt. Brilliant Mansion was never given the legal protection it deserved, despite its rich history, striking beauty, and architectural significance. The present farm owner is now living in a remodeled barn on the property. I know who he is, too, but won't name him here. Personally, I just wish he'd stayed in Texas and never set foot in Kentucky. He destroyed an important piece of Kentucky history - for no good reason whatsoever.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,713 times
Informative and interesting thread. Thanks for the dialogue, guys!

Old 08-09-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Mt. Brilliant mansion stood for over 200 years on Mt Brilliant Farm, on Russell Cave Pike just outside of Lexington. It was a white-painted brick, columned Greek Revival, very stately home which was strikingly set upon the bluff overlooking the waters of Russell's Cave below. A very early log structure was incorporated within its walls. The house was inhabited until it changed hands shortly before it was demolished, and the original family was devastated by its loss, which they had not anticipated from their dealings with the later owner. But they were powerless to stop the destruction.

It is said that an Indian mound originally stood in the front yard, which was also the site of political barbecues and speeches in the mid-19th century. It was at one of these gatherings that abolitionist, ambassador, newspaper publisher and statesman Cassius Marcellus Clay, aka the Lion of Whitehall, was physically attacked by a political opponent who lived to regret his action, which ended in Clay's drawing his Bowie knife and cutting a slice of his attacker's ear before rolling him over the bluff into the waters emerging from the cave below.

Sso many, many Central Kentuckians were distressed when a new Texan owner went through with his plans to demolish the stately old mansion about ten or fifteen years ago, despite much opposition, petitions, pleas, and more from both historic preservation groups and individuals.

At least some of the handcrafted woodwork and other fixtures were preserved - but I have no idea where they may be at present, or if their current owners know anything about their provenance.

Sadly, Mt. Brilliant Mansion was never given the legal protection it deserved, despite its rich history, striking beauty, and architectural significance. The present farm owner is now living in a remodeled barn on the property. I know who he is, too, but won't name him here. Personally, I just wish he'd stayed in Texas and never set foot in Kentucky. He destroyed an important piece of Kentucky history - for no good reason whatsoever.

This is really really terrible. It makes me mad

That is a very beautiful part of KY especially with all the green hills and horse farms around. I swear this state needs to get its act together on alot of stuff! What will they tear down next, the Henry Clay mansion?

Maybe the DuPont Mansion in Louisville? When you allow bad historic and urban policy, it permeates everywhere.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Thankfully, Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, is owned by a private non-profit, has a large endowment, and is safe for the foreseeable future. Henry Clay has lots of living descendants who feel very protective of their ancestral home, fortunately.

It's more of a local zoning issue than a state one - state parks and historic sites could use more financial support from the state, however, as there's considerable delayed maintenance evident in many places.

And don't get me started on the delayed maintenance obvious in our national parks, which are celebrating their 100th birthday this year.

As long as history is not taught and understood, the tangible remnants of our shared past will not be fully appreciated or protected. I just got back from a trip to Virginia, a place whose people have always had great awareness of and appreciation for its rich history. This time, I saw lots of ugly graffiti on roadside overlooks, accompanied by trash and litter, and lots of young people staring mindlessly at hand-held devices rather than at the beautiful Shenandoah National Park or Blue Ridge Mountains.

Lover's Leap, on US 58 near Meadows of Dan, has been badly defaced by graffiti, something that was never the case during my many childhood trips to that once-beautiful place. The view of the valley far below this mountaintop is still there - but the old stone wall is now covered with pink, blue, and green scrawls, and the rocks across the road are also defaced. Not all trash gets thrown out the car window - some is driving or riding in the car.

In Shenandoah NP, I also saw people hurrying to leave their abandoned cars to get closer to a yearling black bear near the road, so they could use said devices to film the bear. There's not only a distance between people and history but also between people and nature. I did roll down my own window and say, in a friendly voice, "Y'all be careful - bears can move fast!" to one young couple, but to no avail...yet if a bear attack had occurred, you can bet that young bear would have lost its life, needlessly.

I digress. Not sure how bears got into a discussion about architectural and neighborhood preservation, but it's all illustrative of a sort of self-centeredness which can verge into selfishness and lack of appreciation for what came before, be it a historic house or a wild animal.

Teach your children well, parents. Tell them the old family stories and the old stories about where you live. If you don't know the stories, make an effort to learn them and pass them down. Get your kids in touch with the real world, be that the wild or the neighborhood. Limit screen-time. Don't let them grow up to be clueless and selfish. Teach them where the true values and treasures lie...

Perhaps then they'll value their natural inheritance more instead of destroying or defacing it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area