Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:40 PM

85 posts, read 79,193 times

Advertisements

After spending the last twelve years in the sweltering heat of Florida, I am considering moving to Lexington to see if I'd like to retire there. I spent nearly fifty years in the Midwest, so I am used to snow.

The research I've done shows that Lexington has a lot of things I would like, but I haven't found much about retiring there. Are there any senior recreational centers? Senior activities? The 55 plus and senior housing seems to be limited to income restricted properties, for which I wouldn't qualify. So I'd probably rent a small house or an apartment in a nice area. The area SE of Lexington seems to have most of the places I would shop.

Things I would like about Lexington:

- smallish city
- one of the best farmer's markets in the country
- beautiful countryside
- proximity to other larger cities
- good healthcare
- lots of gyms
- cool weather for a good part of the year

The only thing I could find that I didn't like was many complaints about the Humane Society. I'd likely look for an animal organization where I could volunteer, so that matters to me.

I'll be traveling to Lexington next month (October 2016) to check out the town and surrounding area. I'd really appreciate any input on housing, senior groups/activities, or "must see" things in the area. Also any pros/cons of being a retired female in Lexington.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Wilmore, just south of Lexington, has a 55+ community not based on income. It would be small (like really small) town living 10-15 minutes away from the Lexington amenities. You would be living in that beautiful countryside.

According to relatives that live there and have gotten animals from them, they have found nothing wrong with the humane society. One was thrilled because they put the dog through some "how to be a good house dog" training, like house breaking and some simple commands, before allowing the dog to be adopted. They are always looking for additional volunteer trainers.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times

Hi Efseil! Welcome to the Lexington forums here at City-Data!

There are several senior centers through out Lexington.

The one closest to me (On Nicholasville Road) has a book club, Friday Friends Social, History class taught by local Professors, and a diabetic support group. They also have craft classes and Cards and Games.

There are also other Senior Centers around town.

https://www.lexingtonky.gov/educational-activities

They also have an open fitness/Health Club area - and exercise classes -also classes in Tai Chi, Yoga, and Zumba.

https://www.lexingtonky.gov/fitness

Also many of the local Universities and Colleges offer free classes to Senior Citizens.
(My Father enjoyed these a lot in his retirement years before he passed.)

UK Osher Lifelong Learning for Seniors

BCTC - Donovan Scholars

We have some great farmer markets here, like you mentioned - there are a lot of farms in the region, we have a little fruit and veggie stand right up the road from me also...you see them here and there.
Right up the road from us there is a Kroger and Walmart Grocery - not to mention A Whole Foods, Good Food Coop,Meijjers, Trader Joe's and Aldis. So lots of choices....and those are within a mile or mile and a half of where I live.

Here is a Senior Apartment Housing for the Hamburg area( South east Lexington) that you were interested in.

https://yournextplacetolive.com/seni...ior-residence/

There is also Liberty Ridge
Home Page | Liberty Ridge

Lexington just recently made Forbes Best Places to Retire List.

25 Best Places To Retire In 2016 | Forbes

You will want to check out the Old Historic homes here probably - Ashland, Waveland and the Mary Todd Lincoln home.

Raven Run Nature Sanctuary is a must see. Jacobson Park is really nice. The Arboretum is great and looks so different for every season. A must see.

Ofcourse you have to visit the Kentucky Horse Park!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YltBLDEII

Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to my trip next month.

Crazy Cat Lady: I'm cat crazy myself. I just haven't had one since I left Indiana in 1999. Now I have to be satisfied with watching all the cat videos on You Tube.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efseil View Post
Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to my trip next month.

Crazy Cat Lady: I'm cat crazy myself. I just haven't had one since I left Indiana in 1999. Now I have to be satisfied with watching all the cat videos on You Tube.
Yes, I love the cats! But actually, I am quite fond of dogs also. I love animals! Do you have any pets?
While I am on the subject..You have heard bad things about the Lexington humane society? We have Woodstock Clinic here, which is always looking for volunteers - from what I hear, it's a no kill shelter, but also a low cost spay/neuter clinic, with inexpensive vaccines...haven't checked it out yet but one of my coworkers told me about it, and another one had chimed in that she use to volunteer there...and couldn't say enough good things about it....I hear Woodford Humane society is excellent....very close to Lexington>)

You came from Indiana originally, that is cool...my late Grandfather came from Indiana - his Father owned a Dairy Farm there - and the family lived their for generations...I still have cousins who live there! Beautiful state!

Which part of Florida do you live in? I lived in Florida briefly as a child (My dad was in the Coast Guard) in Miami and I loved it! But, I was just a little kid - heat doesn't seem to bother you as much when you are a little child though.)

Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM

I'm on the west coast of Florida, although I lived in Miami for 4.5 years. I was in NW Indiana for about 15 years; too much snow but other than that, I really liked it. In retirement, you have to consider how a state taxes your pension, social security, etc., which is why I want to try Kentucky over southern Indiana.

What I read about the Lex Humane Society was just one of those sites where people give ratings based on their experience with the place. Not sure how soon I'll get a cat or two again. No pets since my last cat in 1999. Not much of a dog fan.

I really want to garden. Do a lot of people have gardens in Lex? There are a lot of farmer's markets, but there's nothing like growing you own veggies and flowers.

Thanks for the info about UK classes for seniors; they have quite a few I'd be interested in attending.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM

^Yes, a lot of people have gardens here.

Yes, many people here do grow their own gardens, it's very common.

We grow gardens some years, usually not a whole lot though -always tomatoes - I love home grown tomatoes more than almost anything! We never got around to it this year.

Many stores have garden shops with various sized version of the plant you want to buy, or of course you could always start from seed, but I have always bought a partially grown plant.
You can grown most vegetables and fruits here, except for the tropical fruits.

Kentucky doesn't tax social security - they don't tax other retirement income unless you earn over a certain amount, I believe it's Like $41,000, someone on here was telling me. You also don't pay tax on Groceries or Medicine from the Pharmacy.You do have to pay personal property tax on homes or vehicles, each year.

October is a good month to visit, that is usually when the leaves start changing color - and by the end of October to the month of November you have the full array of color usually. It's a very pretty time of year, and one of my favorite. You have four distinct seasons here, and I like that.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM

When you are in Kentucky next month, you might want to drive out of Lexington just a bit (about 10 - 20 minutes outside of Lexington) and check out our Castle.

This Hidden Castle In Kentucky Is Like Being In A Fairy Tale

Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
I'm also living in SW Florida and while it is okay, I don't love it. How cold does it get in Lexington? How much snow per year and do you lose electricity for days and days because of ice storms? What natural disasters do you experience? Flooding, tornados, etc.?

Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm also living in SW Florida and while it is okay, I don't love it. How cold does it get in Lexington? How much snow per year and do you lose electricity for days and days because of ice storms? What natural disasters do you experience? Flooding, tornados, etc.?
Well, Kentucky weather is pretty bi-polar - and can be different one year to another. We have a mild climate, or so they say - but one year we will have a really mild winter, the next year winter can be a frozen tundra...and you can feel like you live in Alaska,lol.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

No we don't lose electricity for days because of Ice storms...in 2003 a bad ice storm hit and some people in Kentucky lost their electricity for weeks then, ours went out for a couple of hours and then came back on.

Flooding? Well, you hear of a lot of flash floods watches and warnings...but I guess it depends on where you live, I have lived in Kentucky for decades and have never experienced flooding. There are tornado warnings and watches...occasionally one will strike down and do terrible damage, there are tornado/emergency sirens around Lexington located in the parks, I believe it has been years since one has touched down in Lexington and done any damages....but they have some areas and small towns close by (Most of the time when there is a tornado warning (funnel cloud being spotted) they never actually touch down...also the Western Part of Kentucky has more tornado activities that the Lexington area.) I have lived in Kentucky for over 50 years and have never been in an actual tornado though.

SPC Average Number of Tornadoes per State by Month

Actually, weirdly enough Florida gets more tornados than Kentucky (never knew this - and I have lived there!) I guess you learn something new every day.

Annual and monthly tornado averages for each state (maps) - U.S. Tornadoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area