Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You keep talking about Salvation Army but i bet you have never been there FOR help. ( no, working/volunteering there is NOT the same). You need proof of income, residency, birth certif and SSN cards for all members of the family. You need to go on the days and times they are open or by appointment ASSUMING they have funds to help you. They help with rent/electric, clothing, and food ONLY.
Moderator cut: orphanded

The Lexington Salvation Army NEVER turns away a pregnant woman from their shelter, which is why I referred the young woman to them. She did not appear to have a car - how on earth could I know for sure, anyway, as this was a parking lot and night had fallen? Moderator cut: please discuss topic only What would YOUR solution have been to these situations??

You seem to focus on the financial help provided by the Salvation Army to applicants - I referred to its shelter for women and children in families and for single women, which is very different. This young woman would have been given shelter, food, and would have been referred for free health care - prenatal care in particular.

I hoped the baby would be placed in foster care because its mother was obviously in no condition to care for an infant. I hope she gets her issues resolved and would be able to visit her child regularly, under supervision, and that she would eventually be able to regain custody, again, with regular checks on the baby's (and the mother's) welfare. I did not hope that she would lose custody of her child, but there was a lot which was very, very wrong about the situation, very obviously, and bringing an innocent child into that world would increase the wrong and very likely endanger that child.

Panhandling in a parking lot while nine months pregnant does not indicate potential good - even adequate - parenting skills. That young woman was endangering her own well-being and that of her child, and that's not acceptable in my book. I did feel compassion for her, so referred her to appropriate help: the Salvation Army Shelter. I also called the police to see if they could assist her. What would you have done?? Given her a hand-out, thus reinforcing her behavior?

Moderator cut: Please discuss topic only. Please report problematic postings instead of commenting on them.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-13-2016 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:14 AM

14,663 posts, read 7,964,687 times
My husband use to be a Police Officer in Baltimore, and he told me that you never, ever, ever give panhandlers money.
He said if you suspect they really need help the best you can do is go buy them some food or a meal...because he was telling me that many have substance abuse issues and that is what has landed them in that position, and any money that you give them will be use to further feed their addiction...they usually won't go buy food or shelter like a normal person in that position would...they will usually buy alcohol or drugs with the money - only furthering their misery in the end.

I know that sometimes bad things happen to good people, and if that is the case I think they still would appreciate a warm meal and kind word.

Also he told me the Police in Baltimore knew people who made hundreds of thousands of dollars a year doing this, pretending to be homeless, desperate needy people...when in reality they had a home, food, car, etc...and probably made more money per year than you do.

Although one my be tempted to invite them into your home for awhile, until they get back on their feet again...you can never be sure if they are mentally stable or even dangerous.

That is why it is often best to just buy them a meal, or give them the address of an agency or shelter that specializes in helping people under these circumstances.... and a dollar for bus fare (It's not always safe to give them a ride in your vehicle.) Just like it would be alright to give them a coat, or hat or gloves....but you also have to think about your own safety somewhere in the equation....inviting them into your vehicle or your home would be too risky and even potentially dangerous.

Its great to help other people, but sometimes you are more limited as an individual than the organizations that are meant to help people in times like this.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:38 PM

596 posts, read 814,665 times
Very simple, just walk fast and ignore. Never open yourself up to a panhandler in any way. Just make it look like you are a very busy person. Nothing good can come of the encounter, I've had my fair share of experiences.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 19,957 times
We've seen an increase in panhandlers the last few cities we've lived in... I think it's pretty hard for the authorities to control or curtail bc they can easily just lower their signs and walk away... And the jails seem pretty inundated as is... But the ones I have seen have all been pretty peaceful (just holding signs up at intersections)

Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Had one come to my door last evening: about 40, very tanned or dark-skinned non-Hispanic white guy, brown eyes, dark brown hair, no glasses or facial hair, no visible tattoos. Average height, slender build. Wore a plain medium blue t-shirt and khaki shorts. Very antsy-jittery, and after commenting on some things he could see inside my house, he told a story that made no sense, involving a bicycle and an out-of-gas car at a friend's apartment around the corner, at which point I cut him off and said I couldn't help him. Locked the front door, which had been standing open (with the storm door closed) and did the same to the other doors. No sign of a bicycle.

Then I called the police, and am not happy with the response. I described the incident, asked for increased patrols, and was told I'd be called back so they could fill out a report. That call back never came, but lots of excuses did.

I called the police back this morning, was told they'd sent a patrolman out last night (but couldn't tell me exactly when) and the officer didn't see the guy. Also told me that since no laws were broken, there was nothing they could do.

I said they could have not told me I'd get a call-back, in that case, as I had stayed up late to get the non-existent call, had called them back after 10:00 p.m. and been told I'd get a call within fifteen minutes, and when that didn't occur, had taken the phone off the hook and gone to bed at 11:00. Instead of an apology, I got more defensiveness this morning. Never did get to talk to anyone "official", nor did anyone from the police department ever call me back.

So then I called my city council representative, having meanwhile learned of similar incidents nearby, and was told that yes, indeed, lots of local residents have been experiencing beggars at their doors. And additional residents have also experienced excuses and defensiveness from the police.

Now, of course I understand that true emergencies do happen and take priority. That's not the issue here. I am trying to PREVENT this sort of incident from repeating or escalating into a "true emergency"! What if the guy had broken in? He could have stolen from me, held me as a hostage, injured me, or worse.

Fortunately, the nice young woman who assists my representative was most empathetic - her grandmother was murdered in just such a scenario last fall. She tried to help someone down on their luck - and was killed for her kindness.

When will the city of Lexington and its police department take the growing beggar/panhandler crisis seriously? It's one thing to encounter these shameless lazybones at every major intersection in town, or to be accosted in a parking lot - that's bad enough, but when they come to your door at nightfall, high as a kite, comment on your valuables they've spotted within, tell an incoherent story and want money - that's beyond acceptable. This was not someone asking to do yardwork, which is common where I live and okay with me (though I do not hire them, at least they've made the offer).

I donate regularly to charities and groups which assist those truly in need, both individually and through my church. I do not give to people panhandling in public - or at my door.

I live in Chevy Chase, and have had reports of similar incidents in Ashland Park and along Richmond Road inside New Circle.

So lock up tight, everyone, and alert your neighbors. The word needs to get out there. With a local ordinance against standing in highway medians in the works at present, we may experience more of these people coming to our doors rather than getting clean and getting a job.

Scary.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM

Moderator cut: To answer the person who asked me why I opened my door - I didn't. My storm door remained closed at all times. True, my heavy wooden front door was open, as I had been sitting on my front porch reading until shortly prior to this incident. I was inside when I heard someone banging loudly on the glass storm door and encountered this man.

We've come to a pretty pass if we cannot use our homes as intended without being harassed by panhandlers at our doors.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Please report instead of engaging, it can be better addressed that way. Thank you.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,856,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Had one come to my door last evening: about 40, very tanned or dark-skinned non-Hispanic white guy, brown eyes, dark brown hair, no glasses or facial hair, no visible tattoos. Average height, slender build. Wore a plain medium blue t-shirt and khaki shorts. Very antsy-jittery, and after commenting on some things he could see inside my house, he told a story that made no sense, involving a bicycle and an out-of-gas car at a friend's apartment around the corner, at which point I cut him off and said I couldn't help him. Locked the front door, which had been standing open (with the storm door closed) and did the same to the other doors. No sign of a bicycle.

Then I called the police, and am not happy with the response. I described the incident, asked for increased patrols, and was told I'd be called back so they could fill out a report. That call back never came, but lots of excuses did.

I called the police back this morning, was told they'd sent a patrolman out last night (but couldn't tell me exactly when) and the officer didn't see the guy. Also told me that since no laws were broken, there was nothing they could do.

I said they could have not told me I'd get a call-back, in that case, as I had stayed up late to get the non-existent call, had called them back after 10:00 p.m. and been told I'd get a call within fifteen minutes, and when that didn't occur, had taken the phone off the hook and gone to bed at 11:00. Instead of an apology, I got more defensiveness this morning. Never did get to talk to anyone "official", nor did anyone from the police department ever call me back.

So then I called my city council representative, having meanwhile learned of similar incidents nearby, and was told that yes, indeed, lots of local residents have been experiencing beggars at their doors. And additional residents have also experienced excuses and defensiveness from the police.

Now, of course I understand that true emergencies do happen and take priority. That's not the issue here. I am trying to PREVENT this sort of incident from repeating or escalating into a "true emergency"! What if the guy had broken in? He could have stolen from me, held me as a hostage, injured me, or worse.

Fortunately, the nice young woman who assists my representative was most empathetic - her grandmother was murdered in just such a scenario last fall. She tried to help someone down on their luck - and was killed for her kindness.

When will the city of Lexington and its police department take the growing beggar/panhandler crisis seriously? It's one thing to encounter these shameless lazybones at every major intersection in town, or to be accosted in a parking lot - that's bad enough, but when they come to your door at nightfall, high as a kite, comment on your valuables they've spotted within, tell an incoherent story and want money - that's beyond acceptable. This was not someone asking to do yardwork, which is common where I live and okay with me (though I do not hire them, at least they've made the offer).

I donate regularly to charities and groups which assist those truly in need, both individually and through my church. I do not give to people panhandling in public - or at my door.

I live in Chevy Chase, and have had reports of similar incidents in Ashland Park and along Richmond Road inside New Circle.

So lock up tight, everyone, and alert your neighbors. The word needs to get out there. With a local ordinance against standing in highway medians in the works at present, we may experience more of these people coming to our doors rather than getting clean and getting a job.

Scary.
A very good description of the perp Mr. Creek (very observant, that's good) but, it's the "or worse" that concerns me. May I suggest a Glock 19...or a Sig P320? I am told these two are very good personal protection/defense devices and are easily concealed. The good folks down at Bud's can help ye out. All legal and everything and even learn ye how to use um to. Seriously.

I agree...Scary!

By the way...has the cops showed up yet? In their defense, they have a huge job on their hands and it ain't going to get any easier any time soon. The average person don't have a clue as to what they deal with on a daily basis. I'm just glad they are around to take care of the big stuff.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
A very good description of the perp Mr. Creek (very observant, that's good) but, it's the "or worse" that concerns me. May I suggest a Glock 19...or a Sig P320? I am told these two are very good personal protection/defense devices and are easily concealed. The good folks down at Bud's can help ye out. All legal and everything and even learn ye how to use um to. Seriously.

I agree...Scary!

By the way...has the cops showed up yet? In their defense, they have a huge job on their hands and it ain't going to get any easier any time soon. The average person don't have a clue as to what they deal with on a daily basis. I'm just glad they are around to take care of the big stuff.

Thanks for the compliments. I emailed neighborhood friends about this guy right after calling the police, when his appearance was fresh in my mind.

No personal response or call back from the police yet. Did call again the morning after, as described, and was told they'd sent a squad car down my street. That would have taken less than one minute to drive - no idea if this street has been added to their regular beat or not. None of my neighbors had this guy knock on their doors (that I know of - still need to talk to a few neighbors).

Nope, no guns - I'll rely on porch lights, good locks, and a burglar alarm system. No guns for me -a major family tragedy associated with a gun guarantees that. And then, I had no idea who was knocking on my door until I got there, and even if I DID have a gun, I can't imagine hauling it to the door every time someone knocks or rings the doorbell. I'd really be the neighborhood crazy guy if that sort of behavior became standard!

Last time I shot a gun was c.1966, target shooting my cousin's .22 down by the Arkansas River just outside of Little Rock. I was a little off to one side - can't even remember which. Guns have little appeal to me.

I do have my g-g-grandfather's Confederate field officer's sword, though...along with my g-g-grandfather, it survived Pickett's Charge. Now, if I answered the door with THAT in hand...the bad guys might really skedaddle (or come back later to try to steal it. No fear, it's well-hidden).

Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM

50,058 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. I emailed neighborhood friends about this guy right after calling the police, when his appearance was fresh in my mind.

No personal response or call back from the police yet. Did call again the morning after, as described, and was told they'd sent a squad car down my street. That would have taken less than one minute to drive - no idea if this street has been added to their regular beat or not. None of my neighbors had this guy knock on their doors (that I know of - still need to talk to a few neighbors).

Nope, no guns - I'll rely on porch lights, good locks, and a burglar alarm system. No guns for me -a major family tragedy associated with a gun guarantees that. And then, I had no idea who was knocking on my door until I got there, and even if I DID have a gun, I can't imagine hauling it to the door every time someone knocks or rings the doorbell. I'd really be the neighborhood crazy guy if that sort of behavior became standard!

Last time I shot a gun was c.1966, target shooting my cousin's .22 down by the Arkansas River just outside of Little Rock. I was a little off to one side - can't even remember which. Guns have little appeal to me.

I do have my g-g-grandfather's Confederate field officer's sword, though...along with my g-g-grandfather, it survived Pickett's Charge. Now, if I answered the door with THAT in hand...the bad guys might really skedaddle (or come back later to try to steal it. No fear, it's well-hidden).
If you weren't personally involved with the tragedy why would you not consider a handgun in some type of easy to open case near the front door? The police will never be there in time to prevent violence.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,082,017 times
Quote:

If you don't have a peep hole in your door so you can see who's on the other side before you open it, you should install one. It's inexpensive and well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area