Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,482 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I did a google search and it shows that Asians/Asian-Americans living in Lexington make up 3.5% of the population. I am moving from a diverse area, and it's normal to see a lot Asian-Americans. (No one assumes English isn't their first language, or a foreigner- that type of deal.)

I wanted to know how friendly the area's attitudes are around Asian Americans. I know there will be closed minded people wherever I go. But I wanted to get a feel if there are any high tensions towards Asian-Americans in this area. Or if anyone is Asian-American who live there and can speak from personal experience that would be really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I have never heard of or seen any kind of prejudice or animosity towards Asian-Americans in or around Lexington. Lexington is a pretty cosmopolitan city, with quite a lot of ethnic and racial diversity. Most Asian-Americans are assimilated and accepted without anyone making a big deal over it. You may hear older ladies commenting on how a child of Asian background "looks like a little China doll", but that's about it in terms of comments, other than a few noting that high school kids of Asian background seem to do exceptionally well academically and musically, judging by the names in the paper when recognition time comes around.

Your background simply would not be an issue of any kind for the great majority of Lexingtonians.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:13 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
My sister-in-law who is Asian absolutely loves living in Lexington. She has been there since 1964 and as far as she is concerned it is her home. If you have kids Dunbar and several of its feeder schools have a healthy Asian population.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:59 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
There isn't much open dislike of Asians in general. At most you might get a few people not used to seeing non Whites / Blacks staring on rare occasions.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:35 PM

33 posts, read 57,691 times
We are Indians and moved to Lexington in 2015. So far i have been amazed at how nice the people here are! Most of them are genuinely nice! I never felt any kind of discrimination or prejudice. In fact people have been very supportive and helpful to us. We had the same fears as you had and i can tell you, over the last 2 years, Lexington has earned a special place in my heart. I can reassure you, there are plenty of asians here and you should be able to fit in nicely.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:51 AM

15 posts, read 20,161 times
Hi : )

Where we live now there are a lot of Asian expats. We are moving to Lexington area next month and after my visits so far, I would say its safe to assume there are more than the 3.5%? The colleges have Chinese programs and confucius institutes and Tates Creek Elementary (I think thats the one) has mandarin class in the elementary (whenever I have seen French, I have noticed a wonderful relationship with local university) So far, I have found Lexingtonians to have zero prejudice of foreigners. I think the local colleges offer a great resource compared to other smaller cities without huge universities.... And Louisville is nearby and I know some chinese teachers that have found it to be home right away. So glad there are two cities in KY like this.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:35 PM

53 posts, read 94,512 times
I am wondering if that low percentage of Asians needs to be updated. I see Asian people on a daily basis all over town. I see Asians of all ages in groups, families and as single men and woman shopping or traveling or doing their job. I have never heard anyone discriminating against or saying anything negative. No guarantees but nothing blatant.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I think that maybe they need to update there numbers, it seems like more to me. I don't think you would have any
issues.
Anyways, welcome to Lexington!!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There isn't much open dislike of Asians in general. At most you might get a few people not used to seeing non Whites / Blacks staring on rare occasions.
That's about it. In twenty-some years altogether, we've never had a single problem.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM

13 posts, read 27,490 times
Default Come on out

I moved here from California last year. I work in a hospital and most of our MDs are Indian, Middle Eastern, or Asian. No one really cares! Kentuckians are the nicest people I have been around, and frankly much less discriminatory than the wealthy coastal Californians I was raised around (Santa Barbara native here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: