U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:41 AM

92 posts, read 198,370 times

Advertisements

I've had Kentucky on the radar ever since my niece lived there years ago. I used to live in southern CA where I attended an awesome spiritual center. A few months ago I started researching about Lexington, one of my chief concerns being if my church would have presence there. I discovered not only is it represented there but the musical director of my spiritual home in CA (who talked me into being in her choir just from hearing my speaking voice) founded her own center near Nicholasville Rd.

First, I want to surprise her with a visit in the coming weeks, when work schedule permits a Sunday off. (Hopefully, she nor any of her colleagues sees this post.) Second, I just know I'd want to be a part of this community going forward. (I watch Sunday services online.)

I've been conducting relocation research for several years, dying to get out of Chicago. I hadn't been able to act on anything due to employment issues. I'm finally in a stable work situation and can plan again.

I've moved for work assignments. I've moved for relationships and family. THIS move would be a spiritual one and I have to answer the calling. This is my priority over any other location now.

About me: 55, mixed-race, gay male, avid hiker, car enthusiast, techie and yoga practitioner. As far as politics go I'm probably in the middle, leaning toward conservative. Truthfully, I like more farm, small-town and rustic living than urban. I work from home and am approved to transfer to KY when I feel ready. And I especially need quiet for the home office setup.

I don't care so much about nightlife, but city access/convenience would be great for restaurants & culture. I thought about Versailles, Pinckard, Keene, Nicholasville. With what I've given you here where would you place me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,904,559 times
Midway. Don't make a decision until you've seen Midway. Absolutely lovely little town. Versailles would probably be my second choice.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM

8,051 posts, read 4,370,484 times
Hi! Welcome to the Lexington forums here at City Data.
Hope that your surprise works out!

I would also go with Versailles or Midway, if I were you.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:12 AM

I have had issues with cookies on Chrome and Safari browsers, and accessing this site to the point that I had given up.

I thought of my mobile phone today and lo and behold I'm here.

Thank you for the suggestions of Midway and Versailles. They sound ideal for me, and I will pay them a visit for sure!

Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Midway in Winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7KMkTkKjE

From Versailles to Midway (Summer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64DTdQRnsk

Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 PM

What charming videos! That's exactly how I want to live. I rode roads like the summer scene with my grandparents as a child. It was quite nostalgic to see those.

And this would be a diverse town? Thank you for those!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:29 PM

^
I am not sure if they are diverse or not....I have just drove through them, and there are really charming. (Midway is a college town, they are often diverse.)
You would be close to Lexington, and I think Lexington is pretty diverse. Near Louisville.
It is very diverse.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 8,818,787 times
Keene and Pinckard are tiny - Keene was a summer resort with "medicinal" springs back in the 19th century, and Pinckard is basically a crossroads community of a church and a few houses. Both are scenic and historic - but they are not towns.

Midway is small but not tiny. Downtown straddles the railroad and is something of a tourist destination. Midway College adds some life to the town, many of whose residents commute to Lexington or Frankfort for work.

Versailles is larger than Midway and is also very picturesque. It is also closer to Lexington than Midway.

But I suspect Lexington would fit you better. There was a very popular Gay Pride event in downtown Lexington this past weekend, and Lexington is pretty tolerant and laid-back in that regard.

Do you hope to rent or buy? What is your budget?

Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM

70 posts, read 117,806 times
Midway sounds like a good suggestion. If you want no town, just rural scenery, you should check out Ironworks Pike, which is one of my favorite drives in America. It is north of Lexington and runs by the Kentucky Horse Park. The towns closest to Lexington are so tiny there's not much town there, but if you wouldn't mind being almost an hour from Lexington, Danville is a wonderful little town of 16,000 with an excellent small college in it, Centre College, and the Kentucky School for the Deaf. And Richmond KY is a university town of 35,000 a half hour away. Try the Café Meeples.
In Lexington I like the areas just east of the University of Kentucky, which is where I find the most gay folks (I'm gay), like Chevy Chase, Ashland Park, Woodland Park. That's where I run into the most gay friends hanging out at Starbucks and that's where the most gay-friendly churches are.
Lexington is not all that diverse. I wish it was more diverse. However, it's not an unfriendly town to anyone I don't think. Outside of Louisville, Kentucky has rather little diversity. Historically there are not as many African Americans there as in other southern states simply because the plantation economy was not so big in Kentucky (southeastern KY supported the Union during the Civil War as did most mountainous parts of the South), so there were fewer slaves there, and after the war blacks fleeing the South has no reason to stop in Kentucky; they naturally wanted to be on the other side of the Ohio River. As a result Kentucky is only about 8% African American. Lexington is only about 15% African American I think. The presence of the University of Kentucky makes Lexington a more international and open-minded community, though, and it twice elected a gay man, Jim Gray, its mayor.
If you haven't been to Shakertown, it's a nice spot to walk about and have a quiet dinner. It's just south of Lexington near Wilmore KY. Wilmore has a little religious university, Asbury, in it.
I'd also consider Georgetown, which is a nice town with a nice little college in it, surrounded by lovely countryside. And Paris, KY, is a cute town of 8,000 in Bourbon Co., where bourbon gets its name, surrounded by gorgeous horse farms.
An hour south of Lexington is Berea, a wonderful historic town of 13,000 & home of Berea College, which for 40 years was the only college in the South with both black and white students. It is home of the Kentucky Artisan Center. Craft festivals bring lots of tourists there.

Last edited by Hephaestion; 07-14-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Hi Craig. My apologies in just seeing your reply. I'm having difficulties getting back in this forum.

Thank you for your informative details on the towns. As far as your questions, I have to start out as rental, with a budget of $800 for 1 bdrm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area