Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM

121 posts, read 513,409 times

Advertisements

Hello! Hope you guys can help.

There's a very good possibility that I'll be moving to Lexington within the next two months. I see tons of great information on here that's family-oriented, such as where the good schools are, houses, etc.

What about for the single person? I don't need help with schools and houses so much as I do with jobs and small apartments. As I know nothing about Lexington, I need your help. Can a single person move here and get a job for about $12.00 an hour?

Here's a quick rundown: I'm 29, with no kids. I have 11 years of solid job market experience including office management, financing, and accounting. Any insight is most appreciated, and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,806,625 times
I don't know the employment stats for Lexington, but everybody I know is employed!! Apartments here seem to be about $450 and up for a good 1 bedroom. I am sure you can find ones cheaper, just depends on what you want.

I must confess, I am not the best person to answer your questions. I saw that nobody had responded to your thread and didn't want you to get discouraged with Lexngtonians. Hopefully this "Bump" will keep your thread alive for a better response!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 AM

458 posts, read 2,282,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Hello! Hope you guys can help.

There's a very good possibility that I'll be moving to Lexington within the next two months. I see tons of great information on here that's family-oriented, such as where the good schools are, houses, etc.

What about for the single person? I don't need help with schools and houses so much as I do with jobs and small apartments. As I know nothing about Lexington, I need your help. Can a single person move here and get a job for about $12.00 an hour?

Here's a quick rundown: I'm 29, with no kids. I have 11 years of solid job market experience including office management, financing, and accounting. Any insight is most appreciated, and thank you!
For jobs you can check out craigslist: lexington, KY classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and click on jobs. I found a really good part-time job there, and there are many areas of listings. Of course there are plenty of scam jobs, too, but you find those on CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site as well.

Also I have noticed that all of the temporary agencies in Lexington have a listing of the jobs that they have available on line. Many times this is the best way to get an administrative job and go from temp to perm. If you google "employment agency, Lexington, KY", you'll get a phone directory type listing of agencies including their websites. Then you can see which ones handle someone with your skills. Even if you just temp for a few weeks until you find a permanent job, it can hold you over.

Lexington is a really cool city. Hope it goes well for you.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I don't know the employment stats for Lexington, but everybody I know is employed!! Apartments here seem to be about $450 and up for a good 1 bedroom. I am sure you can find ones cheaper, just depends on what you want.

I must confess, I am not the best person to answer your questions. I saw that nobody had responded to your thread and didn't want you to get discouraged with Lexngtonians. Hopefully this "Bump" will keep your thread alive for a better response!

Thanks for the bump! I did notice apartments are much cheaper there than for what I'm paying now ($640 for a 1 bedroom), which made me worry that maybe it's harder to find a job. Some of the other threads say the job market there is good, however, which makes me hopeful.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 PM

21 posts, read 64,480 times
My mom came down to visit for a few weeks last year. She has serious ADD and hates to be bored during the day. She found a job at a temp. agency making $15+ per hour in a factory within two days, and she worked while we were at work.

Toyota starts out at 14 in gtown and if you go to the factories directly you can make pretty decent money... but they are blue collar jobs.

There is IBM, Lexmark, Tons of hospitals, and even more factories supporting Toyota's largest plant in the world. You will find work without a problem.

My friend just moved here and was able to find a nice 1 bedroom for 450 at Tates Creek and New Circle road pretty easily.

My wifes family also moved here from Peru and were able to get a nice large 2 bedroom 2 bath in Georgetown for $625 and find decent paying jobs even though they don't speak English.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrypii View Post
My mom came down to visit for a few weeks last year. She has serious ADD and hates to be bored during the day. She found a job at a temp. agency making $15+ per hour in a factory within two days, and she worked while we were at work.

Toyota starts out at 14 in gtown and if you go to the factories directly you can make pretty decent money... but they are blue collar jobs.

There is IBM, Lexmark, Tons of hospitals, and even more factories supporting Toyota's largest plant in the world. You will find work without a problem.

My friend just moved here and was able to find a nice 1 bedroom for 450 at Tates Creek and New Circle road pretty easily.

My wifes family also moved here from Peru and were able to get a nice large 2 bedroom 2 bath in Georgetown for $625 and find decent paying jobs even though they don't speak English.
Thank you so much for the information, it has been most inspiring!

There's certainly nothing wrong with blue collar jobs. And I've been looking on Craigslist, and will look more places when my move date comes closer. The jobs look plentiful for someone willing to try, and I'm up for the challenge. I had to look twice though, when you said a "nice 1 bedroom for $450/month." I'm paying $640 for a "fair" one bedroom right now. What a relief to know all of this, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area