U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM

121 posts, read 358,142 times
Default Coffee please?

I hope no one minds all the questions. I'd put them all down at once but the ideas keep coming a couple of days apart.

Not counting Starbucks, are there any good coffee shops in Lexington? I'm talking about a place that sells a fantastic, wonderful, over the top cup of really, really great coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM

820 posts, read 1,854,509 times
Not a coffee drinker, but enjoy a good cup of hot chocolate... so I'll make the leap that they'd do coffee well too! That would be at Coffee Times on Regency Rd. Coffee Beanery in Fayette Mall was a good place also, but they just closed.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 AM

889 posts, read 1,921,283 times
and Common Grounds on High St.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 AM

3,799 posts, read 7,951,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I hope no one minds all the questions. I'd put them all down at once but the ideas keep coming a couple of days apart.

Not counting Starbucks, are there any good coffee shops in Lexington? I'm talking about a place that sells a fantastic, wonderful, over the top cup of really, really great coffee.
I haven't found much in Lexington. If you are a coffee fan, come take a visit to Louisville which is bounding with indie coffee shops. Heine Brothers is the most common but Sunergo's is the best. I also like Jackson's Organic, Derby City Espresso, Java, and Day's. Those are the main ones. Some suburbs have their own places too like Coffee Crossing in New Albany. Blue Mountain Coffee downtown has a lounge feel and Jamaican blend coffee. Jenicca's wine bar and coffee downtown is also good. In historic Old Louisville, you will find Old Louisville coffeehouse, which serves Chicago's Intelligentsia coffee quite well. Some great indie shows there too because of its proximity to Spalding and UofL.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM

486 posts, read 1,208,851 times
I usually go to Starbucks, but also I go to Common Grounds on High Street and Third Street Stuff on the corner of Third and Limestone.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,234,526 times
Third St Stuff is good. There is also the cafe at Joseph Beth's. Sunrise Bakery on Main St makes an excellent cup of coffee not to mention incredible pastries and bread.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:17 PM

3,799 posts, read 7,951,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I usually go to Starbucks, but also I go to Common Grounds on High Street and Third Street Stuff on the corner of Third and Limestone.
Common Grounds is ok. If I lived in Lex I would import my beans from one of the indie shops in Louisville or Cincy and brew my own. Starbucks is corporate, overpriced junk, and what is worse, some of their undertrained baristas do not cut it. My favorite thing to do in Lex is going to shows at the Dame or Fish Tank.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,077,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Common Grounds is ok. If I lived in Lex I would import my beans from one of the indie shops in Louisville or Cincy and brew my own. Starbucks is corporate, overpriced junk, and what is worse, some of their undertrained baristas do not cut it. My favorite thing to do in Lex is going to shows at the Dame or Fish Tank.
I like the "overpriced junk" at Starbucks. To me they have the best coffee. I just don't get the Indie shops....

Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,208,952 times
Common Grounds, Third Street Stuff are the two I always went to. Best atmosphere with the best coffee, free wifi.

And yes, Starbucks is crap. And Im not saying that just because they're a big corporation (I like plenty of other coffee chains, Peet's, Caribou Coffee, etc). They've made a business of over-saturating the market & serving horrible coffee to yuppies who don't know any better. Their thing is high priced "speciality drinks", they're not a coffee house.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,234,526 times
Coffee snobs, gotta love 'em. Starbucks isn't my favorite, but some of their milder roasts are pretty good IMO. The "bold" brews are too much for me, bold is not the same as bitter. I only drink coffee, I don't drink any of the specialty drinks. But isn't it really about personal preference? If a person likes Starbucks more than an Indie place, does that make them "yuppies that don't know any better"? Apparently a lot more people than yuppies go to Starbucks, because they are everywhere. If it wasn't for the coffee phenomenon in the US that Starbucks basically created, most of these indie coffee shops wouldn't exist. 10-20 years ago people generally didn't go to a place just for coffee, then came Starbucks and look at the industry today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area