U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM

458 posts, read 1,663,638 times

Advertisements

I'll definitely post if I have any experience at an auction or at one of the used furniture stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,014,281 times
There is a store on Southland Drive called ReStore, which is second hand furniture. The proceeds go to benefit Habitat for Humanity. If you go and find junk, go again. You will find a whole new selection the next time. I've seen the stuff in there turning rapidly, and the quality varies widely, from trash to treasure, depending on who donated something that day. The prices are fair. Definitely worth investigating. Often they have things for free even.

The antique store in Meadowthorpe (Leestown Road) can be good. Several of the goodwill or salvation army stores handle furniture, and see worth checking out. And there's always the Looseleaf Tobacco antiques show once a month. Lovely things and plenty of deals.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
There is a store on Southland Drive called ReStore, which is second hand furniture. The proceeds go to benefit Habitat for Humanity. If you go and find junk, go again. You will find a whole new selection the next time. I've seen the stuff in there turning rapidly, and the quality varies widely, from trash to treasure, depending on who donated something that day. The prices are fair. Definitely worth investigating. Often they have things for free even.

The antique store in Meadowthorpe (Leestown Road) can be good. Several of the goodwill or salvation army stores handle furniture, and see worth checking out. And there's always the Looseleaf Tobacco antiques show once a month. Lovely things and plenty of deals.
I've heard great things about the Habitat Store and I'm dying to check it out. Thanks for the additional tips.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

I checked out RESTORE yesterday and saw that it was a place that had potential. I didn't see anything yesterday that I wanted, but it's worth going back for sure. Also across the street there is a NEW furniture store called Furniture Row Outlet that had some things I liked at very good prices.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
I'll definitely post if I have any experience at an auction or at one of the used furniture stores.
I checked out Another Man's Treasure on Clays Mill and it seems like another place that's hit or miss. I was surprised that in addition to used they had some closeout and some new furniture. The quality was overall pretty good, but not what you'd call "bargain basement prices."

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 PM

683 posts, read 2,096,455 times
Have you joined Lexington cheap cycle? It is a pretty active group, and you never know what people will be selling.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM

I have joined Freecycle and even got myself an answering machine that I needed when we first moved. Before we moved here, I used Freecycle to give away so much of our stuff!

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
I've been to both Second Sofa and Another Man's Treasure.

Second Sofa - I thought the store contained a lot of what I would consider junk. There was a nice love seat I found (which is what I was looking for), but it cost as much as a new one (which is what I ended up buying elsewhere).

Another Man's Treasure is a much nicer store with some unusual and nice new things. However, the second hand stuff wasn't appropriately priced IMO. A Cracker Barrell rocking chair for example was $10 less than one sitting on Cracker Barrell's porch brand new.

For the best prices on used furniture, I'd probably check the clasified and watch for yard sales. Yard sales just require that you be there Johnny on the Spot if you're going to find something nice at a great price which was always a challenge for me.
I checked out Second Sofa yesterday and it--like all the others--seems like a place you need to go to frequently to find what you want. They did have a huge amount of framed pictures and little knick-knack stuff most of which were priced like at a yard sale. The couches were pricey and many were just not worth what they were asking.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 PM

683 posts, read 2,096,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
I have joined Freecycle and even got myself an answering machine that I needed when we first moved. Before we moved here, I used Freecycle to give away so much of our stuff!

Thanks.
I give away stuff on freecycle all of the time! Love it!

I do like the Lexington cheapcycle, too. I'm not a big fan of the local craigslist (not much action and prices are too steep compared to other places I've lived) but the cheapcycle group has some good deals on stuff for sale: lexcheapcycle : Lexington-Area Cheapcycle

Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
I give away stuff on freecycle all of the time! Love it!

I do like the Lexington cheapcycle, too. I'm not a big fan of the local craigslist (not much action and prices are too steep compared to other places I've lived) but the cheapcycle group has some good deals on stuff for sale: lexcheapcycle : Lexington-Area Cheapcycle
I've never heard of this before. I am going to join. Thanks a million!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area