Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times

Advertisements

Where are the best places to find decent used furniture and other home decorating items in Lexington? I've started yard sale-ing, and keep an eye on craigslist: lexington, KY classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events but I'm wondering if there are hidden treasures I am missing. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
There are two (that I know of) furniture consignment shops. Room Service is one. I think the prices are a little high for used though. Also there is Second Sofa off of Nichoalsville Rd. It's at the front of Regency Center. Another Man's Treasure has a store on Clays Mill Rd. The latter two stores I have not been in so if anyone has please advise.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM

714 posts, read 1,538,865 times
You should try to go to some of the auctions at Thompson Riley downtown...they have more treasures as far as furniture goes. Most of the auction is from old estates. Some of the auctions are what they call "junk" auctions- super good deals there! and most of the others are excellent pieces that you can't buy..keep in mind most of them are not perfect pieces, but timeless, and there are some that are perfect.

Last time I attended there was an old flag...I could just kill myself for not getting it, it went for $20 dollars and it was huge and in great condition, it was old, with less stars and stripes before we had all of the states!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
There are two (that I know of) furniture consignment shops. Room Service is one. I think the prices are a little high for used though. Also there is Second Sofa off of Nichoalsville Rd. It's at the front of Regency Center. Another Man's Treasure has a store on Clays Mill Rd. The latter two stores I have not been in so if anyone has please advise.
I've been to both Second Sofa and Another Man's Treasure.

Second Sofa - I thought the store contained a lot of what I would consider junk. There was a nice love seat I found (which is what I was looking for), but it cost as much as a new one (which is what I ended up buying elsewhere).

Another Man's Treasure is a much nicer store with some unusual and nice new things. However, the second hand stuff wasn't appropriately priced IMO. A Cracker Barrell rocking chair for example was $10 less than one sitting on Cracker Barrell's porch brand new.

For the best prices on used furniture, I'd probably check the clasified and watch for yard sales. Yard sales just require that you be there Johnny on the Spot if you're going to find something nice at a great price which was always a challenge for me.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,307 times
Second Sofa had more knick-knack stuff when I went there. I was not impressed with their furniture selection at all.

Yard sale season is getting ready to gear up, you may be able to find some deals that way.

My sister bought a really nice sofa at Another Man's Treasures on Clays mill road.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 113,638 times
I know Andover Forest is having their Garage Sale on May 31st. We are going to participate but i plan to leave my husband for a bit and see if i can find some goodies! Does anyone know when Andover Hills is scheduled to have theirs?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM

969 posts, read 2,818,574 times
Andover Hills neighborhood yard sale is this Saturday from 9-2. Please don't run over my kids!!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:47 AM

I look forward to checking out that auction--that sounds fun. Thanks for the other feedback on stores. I often find that used furniture is priced ridiculously and am hoping for a bargain. It seems to me from what I've heard that yard sale-ing is a bit of a mania around here, so I look forward to really getting out there.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM

285 posts, read 901,655 times
Micah girl you are asking many of the questions I wonder about So thank you. I want to purchase some furniture when I get there so I don't have to move all of what I have. Plus I like older bedroom sets and such. Stuff I have managed to find is on the high side also. I shop consignment for used furniture here and it's worked out pretty well. I so want to go to an auction. Let me know how you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area