U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
 
216 posts, read 801,309 times
Reputation: 118
Default Does this Church Exist?

Hi!

There are a lot of threads, or posts in threads, that mention the importance of being connected to a church community in Lexington, especially to make friends and have a social life. So here's my question. Please tell me the church that accepts people where they are. One that doesn't judge peope if they smoke, dance, drink, or gamble. One that readily accepts and embraces any person of any race, nationality, marital status, or sexual preference (without trying to change them.) And one that has a really good social calendar and doesn't make you feel guilty if you miss church service for eight weeks in a row just because you don't feel like going.

Does that church exist in Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 3,915,805 times
Reputation: 626
Is it also important to you what doctrine the church holds, or just the items you named? We have shopped a lot of churches in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 PM
 
216 posts, read 801,309 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Is it also important to you what doctrine the church holds, or just the items you named? We have shopped a lot of churches in this town.
I would be more interested in the things I listed, because I think the doctrine (or lack of ) at this church would support inclusion vs exclusion. What have you found in your shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 3,915,805 times
Reputation: 626
By and large, the Episcopal churches will generally meet your criteria. Some will have more or less on the calendar, but the rest is pretty constant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 04:37 AM
 
Location: Lexington Ky
889 posts, read 1,933,095 times
Reputation: 471
You might check out Quest. While I haven't been there myself I know many people that attend and from what they say it seems to be a very inclusive church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:36 AM
 
458 posts, read 1,630,693 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
You might check out Quest. While I haven't been there myself I know many people that attend and from what they say it seems to be a very inclusive church.
I would also check out Quest Community Church - Lexington, KY. I have visited there twice with my family, and they are very friendly and there's lots of great fun stuff for kids as well (like climbing walls). They have a variety of service times and it's got a very different feel for a church. It feels more like walking into a family-friendly movie theater/theme park. The people we met seemed genuine and nice without being "in your face." They are very welcoming and you can have space if you want to just check things out. We like it very much, but decided on another church to be our church home.

Our new church home is much smaller, also friendly and welcoming, but much more personal because of the difference in size. (It's a Methodist Church.) It's in South Lexington and if you want more information, feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Todds Rd. area
925 posts, read 1,568,346 times
Reputation: 249
I go to The Gathering. It meets in the Midway College building in Hamburg. I think it is pretty cool. It is a come as you are type of place. Checkout the website at The Gathering

I do have one question for you. When you mention acceptance, do you really mean agreement? I ask because you and I may disagree on a variety of stuff, but it only has to effect our relationship if we let it. I guess my bottom line is if you know you're not a perfect person and don't mind hanging out with other people that are not perfect either, give us a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 AM
 
216 posts, read 801,309 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I go to The Gathering. It meets in the Midway College building in Hamburg. I think it is pretty cool. It is a come as you are type of place. Checkout the website at The Gathering

I do have one question for you. When you mention acceptance, do you really mean agreement? I ask because you and I may disagree on a variety of stuff, but it only has to effect our relationship if we let it. I guess my bottom line is if you know you're not a perfect person and don't mind hanging out with other people that are not perfect either, give us a try!
Yes. That is what I mean. I grew up in a church that felt very exclusive. You could come into the church as a "sinner," but you were expected to change to belong (ie get to heaven.) I believe in my heart that people are more likely to express their goodness, positve moral consciousness, or whatever you want to call it, if they are surrounded by people who genuinely care about them and accept "them" as humans no matter how different they are from each other.

I am looking for a church home when I move to Lexington, and I sincerely appreciate your response! I just wondered if this kind of church actually existed because I have only my church of origin as my frame of reference...and I don't want to go back there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM
 
216 posts, read 801,309 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
I would also check out Quest Community Church - Lexington, KY. I have visited there twice with my family, and they are very friendly and there's lots of great fun stuff for kids as well (like climbing walls). They have a variety of service times and it's got a very different feel for a church. It feels more like walking into a family-friendly movie theater/theme park. The people we met seemed genuine and nice without being "in your face." They are very welcoming and you can have space if you want to just check things out. We like it very much, but decided on another church to be our church home.

Our new church home is much smaller, also friendly and welcoming, but much more personal because of the difference in size. (It's a Methodist Church.) It's in South Lexington and if you want more information, feel free to PM me.
Thank you. Sounds like a great place. Thank you for your response!! How are you enjoying Lexington? Has it been almost a year that you have been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
 
216 posts, read 801,309 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
By and large, the Episcopal churches will generally meet your criteria. Some will have more or less on the calendar, but the rest is pretty constant.
Thank you! Is there one that you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top