Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,815 times

Advertisements

Hi, new to the forum, but have been perusing, and you guys are awesome!

My daughters want to go to UK in Lexington starting in the fall, so I want to buy a house for them to live in.

Here are a few of the questions that I have:
1. Which areas of town would you recommend buying a house?
2. What part of town is the university in and is it safe?
3. How about part-time employment opportunities?
4. Which utilities are the most expensive? Summer? Winter?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now I'm just confused.

Thanks for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
cyvail - the following sites should get you started. I believe you will find everything you need to begin here.

Bad areas? I suppose there are some - but Kentucky is a different kind of state. What may be bad here, may be nothing somewhere else - I and I do not think you will truly know until you visit. Lexington - all around, is a great place to be. Minutes of driving and you are in the country. Very peaceful.

Hope these help:
http://www.lfucg.com/ Lexington'Fayette county info
http://www.uky.edu/ U of K
http://www.insiders.com/lexington-ky/ (broken link) Info guide
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ Lexingtone Herald on-line

Good Luck! Kimmiey

Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the info kimmieky!

The problem is I live overseas and can't just jump in the car to check it out. I will be sending my two daughters alone to Lexington to sort it all out on their own. They are 22 and 19 respectively and have lived overseas most of their lives on military bases.

You really relieved some of my stress, because I'm worried about the "bad" that could happen. I needed some reassurance that they should be pretty safe.

Does anyone know about the neighborhoods closest to UK?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,883 times
Smile highliner

Most of the neighborhoods around the main campus are either middle class or upper middle class. With the exception of the usual student party calls, the area is usually one of the quieter zones, so far as serious police activity is concerned. Furthermore, with a population around 270k and growing rapidly, I don't think your kids will have any trouble finding student-friendly employment. Also, the real estate market is in a buyers-advantage mode right now, so this is the best time possible to house search. Our better neighborhoods tend to be towards the south (Harrodsburg Road US68 and Nicholasville Road US27) and west (Leestown Pike US421 and Versailles Road US60), on US60 past Alexandria Drive, but inside the Circle-4 interchange . By the way, that last road, and the small town it leads toward, are pronounced in these here parts as Ver-sayls. Say it any other way, and nobody will have a clue, as to what the h*** you are talking about. If you're interested in condos, good ones for students are available on Redding Road(near Kirklevington Park) , Virginia Avenue, And South Broadway US68, the latter two being very close to campus (Washington Street). Good luck, and welcome to the bluegrass state!

Last edited by highliner; 02-08-2007 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: left out pertinent info

Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks Highliner! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, so that I can start looking at maps. I've already contacted a realtor and he is sending me some blueprints of newer homes being built as well. Does anyone have any insight on some of the new subdivisions that they are currently building?

I was also wondering if there are bike paths to and around the UK campus?

We are so excited about this move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area