U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM

8 posts, read 16,464 times
Question downtown neighborhood question

Ok, so I've been researching the downtown neighborhoods and I have a few questions... Mainly about the ones on the Right hand side of Richmond Rd (going into town) between Idle hour and downtown... I think the three areas that keep getting mentioned to me are Kenwick, Bell Ct, and Mentelle Park. (Although with the latter, I tried to find the park or the area and only saw one road... am I missing something there?)

My main question though is that people seem to say to try to stay in the first block off of Richmond Rd. Why is that really necessary? I mean, specifically, what are the differences? Does that rule out streets like Aurora or Cramer as well? I've driven around that area a couple of times but nothing really jumped out at me as a red flag... Can someone fill me in?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,919,113 times
Well, generally, in Kenwick the conventional wisdom is that the first block is GOOD. The second block is less good. The third block is marginal, and after that you are hit-or-miss heading toward the railroad tracks, an industrial area, and some low-rent stuff (drug dealers and car thieves).

Make sense?

Aurora and Cramer are the same thing.

You might not notice it driving through, because the houses themselves aren't what tell the whole story.

Mentelle Park is just one street. There are several older Lexington streets called such-n-such "Park". They are usually pretty nice streets.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 16,464 times
Ok, so best is to stay in the 100s on the streets that intersect with Richmond Rd. But what about the ones that are parallel... You said Aurora and Cramer were the same type of concept but which end is the GOOD end; towards Ashland Ave or towards Richmond Ave?

From looking at a map, it appears that Aurora is several blocks off of Richmond Rd... Doesn't that put it squarely in the low-rent activity area? Then I'm assuming that Hanover Ct, Memory Ln (cute name!), etc are off limits as well?

Also, is it really a GOOD place to raise a family less than 3 blocks from drug dealers and car thieves? I'm starting to second guess that whole area now although everyone seems to Rave about how wonderful it is...

Sorry if I'm being too specific but I have small children and want to be sure about the area before we buy!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 AM

486 posts, read 1,216,677 times
I grew up in Fairway "3 blocks from drug dealers and car thieves" and I turned out just fine!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,993,432 times
Stay in the first block of the Kenwick neighborhoods like on Richmond Ave and Victory Ave. They are fine with many families and some singles and students. I would avoid Cramer and Aurora and the streets after the first block. Its not bad, its just getting too close to some of the rougher areas for me.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I grew up in Fairway "3 blocks from drug dealers and car thieves" and I turned out just fine!
Yes, you did. And I think your neighborhood is one of the finest Lexington has to offer.

Last edited by timelesschild; 09-30-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 01:17 PM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
The farther away from Richmond Road you go, the crime etc....increases.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayOrGo View Post
Ok, so best is to stay in the 100s on the streets that intersect with Richmond Rd. But what about the ones that are parallel... You said Aurora and Cramer were the same type of concept but which end is the GOOD end; towards Ashland Ave or towards Richmond Ave?

From looking at a map, it appears that Aurora is several blocks off of Richmond Rd... Doesn't that put it squarely in the low-rent activity area? Then I'm assuming that Hanover Ct, Memory Ln (cute name!), etc are off limits as well?

Also, is it really a GOOD place to raise a family less than 3 blocks from drug dealers and car thieves? I'm starting to second guess that whole area now although everyone seems to Rave about how wonderful it is...

Sorry if I'm being too specific but I have small children and want to be sure about the area before we buy!
I understand your concerns. How can I say this? The good side of this neighborhood is SO good and adjoins big/old money areas. I would totally raise children in the first block of Kenwick, and even in the second block. I say this as a very protective parent of 3, who has lived in Lexington my whole life.

You're right, Aurora and Cramer are running the other way. I'm sorry, I got confused in my answer to you. Another poster answered you better.

Finally.... specific is good. Be as specific as you like.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,993,432 times
Go here and see create a crime map and you'll see what we're talking about.

Citizen's Crime Watch Home Page

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 AM

76 posts, read 87,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayOrGo View Post

I know families who live both in Mentelle Park and BellCourt and they love these areas. They are professional people, university professors with children, and they picked those areas partly because they wanted to raise their children in a more lively, diverse urban environment. These are not gated, protected pastures, for sure, and they don't have all the same color faces, but the people I know value these places on that account. It all gets down to what you're looking for, I suppose, and what you want for your children.

My wife and I moved to Lexington last January and bought a house on West Third Street, near Transylvania U. Some on this board cautioned that this was an unsafe area, not good for children, that sort of thing. I can only tell you that we have come to love it here. Our neighborhood is a true mix-- rich, middle class, working class, and poor; black, hispanic, white; straight, gay, you name it. It's all here. It's city life, or as close as you'll get to it in Lexington. I want my children to be safe, of course. But in my view, the challenges, problems, and edginess of my neighborhood is the perfect place to teach a child about the world. And the joy and sheer stimulation of my environment--people actually look each other in the eye here, come out on the sidewalk and talk to one another--far outweighs any stress.

I am obviously not an expert on Lexington. I still follow posts here to try to learn about the town and I'm indebted to the regulars who take the time to help acclimate newcomers. But I've noticed that there is a minority who focus on the issue of danger and issue warnings about this or that area. (eg, stay away from the library, watch out for the homeless, don't venture too far in this direction or that). I live in downtown and I have a very hard time understanding some of these posts. Lexington, even downtown Lexington, and the word unsafe just don't seem to belong together. Is there crime? Yes, of course. And are there areas that you'd only live in if all other choices were not available to you? Again, of course. Lexington is like any other place. But it is by and large an attractive, friendly, easy town to live in. And it offers you a range of ways to live and environments for raising children. My only advice to you would be to look at Mentelle Park and Bell Court yourself. Talk to the people who live there. You may like them or not, but danger won't be the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area