Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

Lexington News - Kentucky News | Lexington Herald-Leader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
What Lexington needs more is a REAL limited-access outer beltway around Lexington, connecting at the I-64/75 northern split, running west of Bluegrass Airport into Jessamine County then connecting back to I-75 just south of Athens/Boonesboro.

This would be great for people traveling through the state, especially east-to-west, that didn't want to travel through the city of Lex. Of course, the city and some "OmG, gAwD fOrBiD" environmentalist types will fight against that idea.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
What Lexington needs more is a REAL limited-access outer beltway around Lexington, connecting at the I-64/75 northern split, running west of Bluegrass Airport into Jessamine County then connecting back to I-75 just south of Athens/Boonesboro.

This would be great for people traveling through the state, especially east-to-west, that didn't want to travel through the city of Lex. Of course, the city and some "OmG, gAwD fOrBiD" environmentalist types will fight against that idea.
Yeah jcm, let's ruin the beautiful horse farms and turn Lexington into any town USA....sounds wonderful.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Yeah jcm, let's ruin the beautiful horse farms and turn Lexington into any town USA....sounds wonderful.
Wait now, In London...

At the rate Lexington's been growing and is slated to continue growing, most of those newcomers will want newer-generational, suburban housing. It's been that way especially since WWII. Very gradually, unless Lexington implements a very strictly adhered to law like Portland, OR (with an urban service area that is not continually adjusted out from the city center,) then the farms WILL be gradually eaten.

Regardless of whether such a law takes effect, there is no good way to (a) get off I-64 or I-75 and have a relatively smooth commute to south Lexington or beyond or (b) traverse around Lexington on an entirely limited-access highway system traveling from east-to-west or vice versa. If Scotty "Hee Haw" Baesler, being the first class jerk that he is, had made a strong push for Man O' War to be upgraded and otherwise built to limited-access status during his mayoral reign in the 1980s, we might not be having this debate right now.

Oh, and one more thing that's needed: connecting the Bluegrass Parkway from Versailles to I-75 to provide more convenient access to Cincinnati to folks coming from Elizabethtown and west Kentucky.

Anyway, I'm not sure a toll road is necessary. This will become just another lightly-used blunder brought to you by the dimwits in the Kentucky Legislature and the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I get around fine the way things are. Nobody seems in a hurry around here anyway.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I get around fine the way things are. Nobody seems in a hurry around here anyway.
You must not drive around Fayette Mall or UK much. The traffic around those areas (and most of Lex) is worse than ANY city I've been to, and that list includes Philadelphia and Atanta. Even on Sunday morning the traffic is worse than it is in Louisville at 5:30 pm on Monday

Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wait now, In London...

If Scotty "Hee Haw" Baesler, being the first class jerk that he is, had made a strong push for Man O' War to be upgraded and otherwise built to limited-access status during his mayoral reign in the 1980s, we might not be having this debate right now.

Oh, and one more thing that's needed: connecting the Bluegrass Parkway from Versailles to I-75 to provide more convenient access to Cincinnati to folks coming from Elizabethtown and west Kentucky.
The real question should be why would ANY city need two limited acess beltlines located 2 to 0.5 miles apart (that's the distance btw New Circle & Man o War)? Hurstbourne Parkway is 5 miles from either I-264 or I-265 and there is no need for any additional bypass loops

As for connecting BG Parkway to the I-75/64 north split, that area includes Old Frankfort Pike and areas near Keeneland - building a 4 laner through there will never happen. It would be a lot easier to convert Versailles Rd into a limited access from the parkway to New Circle (with a fly over ramp onto nb New Circle) since there are only 4 traffic signals on that entire stretch anyway

Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You must not drive around Fayette Mall or UK much. The traffic around those areas (and most of Lex) is worse than ANY city I've been to, and that list includes Philadelphia and Atanta. Even on Sunday morning the traffic is worse than it is in Louisville at 5:30 pm on Monday
Yeah, I go over there once in awhile. I manage. Now when I lived in Chicago there were times of day I wouldn't even take the car out at all. And in Lexington even when the traffic is bad you're not going very far anyway. It's not like driving from the South Side of Chicago to the North Side which can be a 20 mile trip in the city or from the suburbs into the city, which can be 30 miles one way or suburb to suburb commutes which can be 75 miles one way.

Nah, it ain't bad here. Better we spent our efforts on getting the local ying-yangs to use their turn signals. And getting the traffic lights coordinated, I swear, Lexington is the red-light capitol of the world.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I go over there once in awhile. I manage. Now when I lived in Chicago there were times of day I wouldn't even take the car out at all. And in Lexington even when the traffic is bad you're not going very far anyway. It's not like driving from the South Side of Chicago to the North Side which can be a 20 mile trip in the city or from the suburbs into the city, which can be 30 miles one way or suburb to suburb commutes which can be 75 miles one way.

Nah, it ain't bad here. Better we spent our efforts on getting the local ying-yangs to use their turn signals. And getting the traffic lights coordinated, I swear, Lexington is the red-light capitol of the world.
...but you agree that it takes longer to go one mile in Lex than most other cities?

Old 11-23-2008, 02:36 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:

Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area