Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:30 PM

197 posts, read 734,850 times

Advertisements

I know this is not in Lexington (it's in Versailles) but STAY AWAY from Loving Arms. That place was "OK" when we first took our 6month-1year old son to them. I had some issues with the place, mainly that two of the workers were Spanish and spoke broken English. That was when our son was going to the part of the facility that was based in a small house with a fenced in back yard. When the house was sold, all the clients there were moved to the school-like building, where the level of care was sufficient (those that worked with the children all day), but the environment was not very loving. The icing on the cake was the day I dropped my baby off there on my way to work. I had been upset with the place, and the fact that they charged so much money when they had so many kids to watch. That day as I pulled out of their circle driveway I thought to myself "Let me just go back around the circle and take in a window". So I parked my car and went up to a window to the room that I knew my son was in. My son was nowhere to be found, but the caregiver was holding a little girl, and giving her fish crackers. I went back inside and the room was to the right. As I walked up to the room, I could hear my child screaming. And the lady wasn't even trying to help him, not even looking at him. He came crawling out of a room behind her, snot running from his nose to his chin and she didn't even try to pick him up. She didn't realize that I was standing there watching her. I immediately ran in, grabbed my son, and told the lady "That is NOT how you're supposed to take care of a child!". She didn't offer any explanation, no apology, nothing. Just a surprised, cold-stoned look on her face. She didn't even offer a kleenex to wipe my son's face with. I ran with my son out of there, and we never paid another dime to them. Because I missed work that day, I lost my job, but it's the best exit from a job I could have ever hoped for.

Kristie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 22,891 times
Kristie,

That's a terrible experience! I appreciate your letting me know about it so I can stay away from there.

The college student route appears to be a very good option. My wife and I occasionally house-sat/baby sat for a family that used 2-3 of our friends, also in college at that time, to care for their daughter. With the constant attention/interaction that the daughter received, she appeared to be very bright and socially adjusted, and she was always very well cared for.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions and hope that people will continue to send them my way! Also, if anyone knows what type of arrangements are worked out with the college student programs so that I know how much I might need to budget for it, please pass that information along.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,139 times
I have numerous friends that have placed ads in UK's student newspaper, The Ky Kernel, and pieced together full time care with 2 or 3 young women. When our son was younger we often found evening sitters through the Theta house. I'm sure the other sororities probably have baby sitting lists as well.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 80,203 times
There's a childcare facility on UK's campus...I'm not sure of the name, but it's in Erikson hall (next door to Funkhouser and behind memorial auditorium). This is a 4 star daycare/pre-school. Basic pre-schools that follow the minimum state requirements (child to teacher ratio, etc.) receive a 0 star rating, and the "better" the pre-schools standards and regulations are, the more stars they receive. I also think UK employees get a discount on the cost.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,762 times
Not everyone uses private care for an infant. My daughter entered a daycare facility when she was 7 weeks old. My son stayed with a neighbor from 7 weeks to a year old, but only because of the cost of having two kids in daycare. We finally decided that he would have been better in a daycare facility. The neighbor didn't seem to pay attention to him and we suspected an allergy to her cat. Most importantly, his speech seemed to be delayed. We suspected that she was sticking him in front of a TV and rarely talking to him. When we put him in Big Blue Bird, his speech started improving almost immediately. It cost us more money, but it was worth it. I have two very smart, well-behaved children who have benefited from being in daycare facilities. I wish I had put my son there from the beginning.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattavegas View Post
When you mention that most people use private situations, I assume that you are talking about a nanny-type of situation, which I am not opposed to. I would also think that many people take advantage of the glut of college students. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is anyone aware of a service or program through the university, such as with its school of education, that puts one or more students together to essentially serve as a full-time nanny?
You might also want to check at Lexington Theological Seminary. Not because they have a nanny program obviously, but for the spouse of a current theology student. When my kids were young, I did that for a while. Had the spouse of a seminary student who had a young child of her own bring her child to my home and babysit my two young kids. Worked out well for both of us.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 13,666 times
Some of the private daycare providers are very likely to use medications like Benadryl to make you baby sleepy... but don't get too paranoid - there are parents which are using the same dope on their own infants for same reasons. The bootom line is: It is so hard to find a good day care survice in US....

Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_immigrant View Post
Some of the private daycare providers are very likely to use medications like Benadryl to make you baby sleepy... but don't get too paranoid - there are parents which are using the same dope on their own infants for same reasons.
And many people just shouldn't be parents. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_immigrant View Post
Some of the private daycare providers are very likely to use medications like Benadryl to make you baby sleepy... but don't get too paranoid - there are parents which are using the same dope on their own infants for same reasons. The bootom line is: It is so hard to find a good day care survice in US....
Eh, I've heard even worse about daycare centers. It's terrible what people do... and the little ones are helpless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area