U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,574 posts, read 12,536,639 times
Reputation: 3508
Most people I've ever meet thought Lexington was a very snobby/ snooty / elitist city even if they liked it. Me calling Lexington snooty has to do with my observations of people's interactions much more than my experiences moving from Casey County to Lexington as a child. Lexington has its good points - it also has the rudest and most pretentious people of any place I've ever been.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
 
844 posts, read 1,211,133 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most people I've ever meet thought Lexington was a very snobby/ snooty / elitist city even if they liked it. Me calling Lexington snooty has to do with my observations of people's interactions much more than my experiences moving from Casey County to Lexington as a child. Lexington has its good points - it also has the rudest and most pretentious people of any place I've ever been.
Agreed. I've lived in the wealthiest parts of So Cal & have never seen so many snobs until I move to Lexington!
Don't get me wrong - I am not putting the city down entirely. There are many fine people here and I enjoy it (especially a nice spring day!)... I just find it psychologically fascinating that so many people from nowhere can act so high & mighty (Keeneland is a good place to see these souls in action). The famous author, Hunter S Thompson, thought so, too...
I am very humble myself, and know a few people in town who have the right to act like snobs - yet do not. I admire those people. Humility and service are much more attractive
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Lexington Ky
889 posts, read 1,911,713 times
Reputation: 471
Perhaps one reaps what one sows.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
 
145 posts, read 346,047 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Agreed. I've lived in the wealthiest parts of So Cal & have never seen so many snobs until I move to Lexington!
Don't get me wrong - I am not putting the city down entirely. There are many fine people here and I enjoy it (especially a nice spring day!)... I just find it psychologically fascinating that so many people from nowhere can act so high & mighty (Keeneland is a good place to see these souls in action). The famous author, Hunter S Thompson, thought so, too...
I am very humble myself, and know a few people in town who have the right to act like snobs - yet do not. I admire those people. Humility and service are much more attractive
So what are people doing to you that make them seem like snobs. Do they cross the street when they see you? Do they dare to drive a nice care or wear nice clothes? Do they call you a peasant or a commoner? Keeneland is a treasure of this city and a wonderful place to go. You see people of all ages and lots in life enjoying it and dressed up for the occasion. From the clubhouse to the tailgating outside before the races I can't think of a better place in this city. I have been to the clubhouse multiple times and attended plenty of times in college and never got this snooty attitude vibe you detect. Do people get dressed up? Yes. Are there nice cars? Yes. Do some of the people who go have a lot of money? Yes but who cares. Should they all drive hondas and be ashamed of their success. And how can you call a city snooty when you claim they are all a bunch of people from nowhere? Who are you and where are you from? If you have been lucky enough or worked hard enough to have success then I have no problem with people having nice things. I do have a problem when they act better than others and I have never seen it or experienced it here. I have asked for examples but all anyone can say is the people are snooty and thats what everyone says. Give me some examples and maybe I could see where you are coming from but otherwise don't be so sensitive and quick to judge yourself. Would you like some sweet tea?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,574 posts, read 12,536,639 times
Reputation: 3508
What I see that makes Lexington appear snobby

1. Personal mannerisms. Even lower middle class people in Lexington seem to have an arrogance about them.

2. Personal comments mades towards me (good and bad) through middle & high school + 1 year at LCC/ BCTC. In 7th grade I had a teacher tell me I needed to have nose surgery because my voice is "too nasal and doesn't sound proper" I was shunned & mocked by an entire class in 8th grade because I admitted to buying a name brand pair of jeans on sale - in Lexington you have to pay full dollar for your name brand clothes to fit in. You could get beat up at my middle school if anyone saw you entering Save a Lot or Goodwill. Then there's the obsession everyone has with where their dad works.

Why do people act like that?: I theorize that Lexington is made up mostly of people from other parts of the state who went to UK and now feel that they are vastly superior to all the "great unwashed" out there in rural KY and much of Louisville. They make themselves feel superior by constantly making fun or rural KY and South/ West areas of Louisville. If you notice most houses in the rest of the state are 3 or 4 bedrooms, most houses in Lexington are 6 or 7 bedrooms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,912 posts, read 5,048,303 times
Reputation: 1137
Ok a thread about Lexington being one of the cleanest cities in the world has turned into posters saying Lexington is snobby.....umm ok. It could be the other way around, maybe you all are the snobby ones perhaps? No?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
 
145 posts, read 346,047 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What I see that makes Lexington appear snobby

1. Personal mannerisms. Even lower middle class people in Lexington seem to have an arrogance about them.

2. Personal comments mades towards me (good and bad) through middle & high school + 1 year at LCC/ BCTC. In 7th grade I had a teacher tell me I needed to have nose surgery because my voice is "too nasal and doesn't sound proper" I was shunned & mocked by an entire class in 8th grade because I admitted to buying a name brand pair of jeans on sale - in Lexington you have to pay full dollar for your name brand clothes to fit in. You could get beat up at my middle school if anyone saw you entering Save a Lot or Goodwill. Then there's the obsession everyone has with where their dad works.

Why do people act like that?: I theorize that Lexington is made up mostly of people from other parts of the state who went to UK and now feel that they are vastly superior to all the "great unwashed" out there in rural KY and much of Louisville. They make themselves feel superior by constantly making fun or rural KY and South/ West areas of Louisville. If you notice most houses in the rest of the state are 3 or 4 bedrooms, most houses in Lexington are 6 or 7 bedrooms.

#1 It is comical that you really think that most homes in lexington have 6 or 7 bedrooms. Are you aware of the size of the house it takes to have 7 bedrooms?

#2 I am sorry your teacher made fun of you because you don't sound proper but that sounds like an isolated problem unless eveywhere you went people stopped you and told you that you sound funny or "improper". If that were the case you could be on to something but I find it unlikely that happened.

#3 I don't know where you went to school but being shunned by a bunch of 13 year olds happens everywhere in the country for all kinds of reasons that don't make sense. Kids value different things at different ages and anyway how did that come up anyway..did you go out of your way to tell people you got jeans on sale? That isn't going to impress many kids. Kids buy brand name stuff or at least want it good or bad that is how kids are be it here or pretty much anywhere in the country. I don't think that makes them arrogant.

#4 What is the problem wondering what your dad does? Most parties I have ever been to or enviroment where I am meeting someone new it tends to come up what buisness you are in. For no other reason than to make conversation. Same goes with kids. Kids bring friends over and you talk to them and get to know them and try and get to know their parents..ie what do they do. No harm in that.

#5 Don't think you would get beat up going to goodwill. If what you said is true no kid in your school would be caught dead near on let alone spying on them to see who went in to get what. It they did they would get beat up. So unless you went out of your way to tell everyone you got goodwill stuff then how would they know. It sounds like a lot of your reasons deal with how teenagers and kids treated you which is too bad as I know I changed a lot through the years and when I was a kid things I thought were important and made sense certainly weren't. The teacher sounded like a jerk but like I said unless the majority of the city stpped you and said you sound wierd..get surgery..then that is an isolated incident and not how a city as a whole acts.

#6 You say they meaning an entire city makes fun of louisville and rural kentucky. You can't make a statement that broad unless you have actually heard that from the entire city. I said before there are plenty of undesirable people in every city but they don't make up the mindset of the place and to put everyone in a group with them isn't fair. A lot of people probably do stay here after UK but that must mean they enjoyed their experience here so they must not have been subjected to all of that arrogance you seem to say exists to those rural outsiders. A lot of people come to lexington from all over the state for college and stay. It must not be to bad. Or they must been evil minded and want to join the arrogance to the rest of Kentucky. I doubt that is the case. I am from northern kentucky and came here for college and stayed. I have never felt looked down upon nor seen others act that way. I am sorry you feel like that towards this city but I just don't think it is the case. And seriously...six or seven bedrooms for most of lexington..I don't think so. Would you like some sweet tea?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: (Lyndon) Louisville KY USA
5,574 posts, read 12,536,639 times
Reputation: 3508
For the record I was wrong to post a negative comment on an a positive article about Lexington - it was trolling and shouldn't have been done.

What I should have said all along (on a more appropriate thread) is "different strokes for different folks". People are comfortable in different types of places - I like more of a middle class blue collar community like you find in most of Louisville, Owensboro, Winchester, or Elizabethtown. Other people like a more educated white collar place like Lexington or Florence. We all pay taxes to the same state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine
9,258 posts, read 11,284,621 times
Reputation: 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What I should have said all along (on a more appropriate thread) is "different strokes for different folks". People are comfortable in different types of places - I like more of a middle class blue collar community like you find in most of Louisville, Owensboro, Winchester, or Elizabethtown. Other people like a more educated white collar place like Lexington or Florence. We all pay taxes to the same state.

Hell Census, folks in Lexington go to chain restaurants with lousy food just like anywhere else. The continued thrivings of that lousy "pub" over by the Fayette Mall, PJ Changs and that Old Chicago place don't exactly speak well for the discernment of Lexington folks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
 
145 posts, read 346,047 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
For the record I was wrong to post a negative comment on an a positive article about Lexington - it was trolling and shouldn't have been done.

What I should have said all along (on a more appropriate thread) is "different strokes for different folks". People are comfortable in different types of places - I like more of a middle class blue collar community like you find in most of Louisville, Owensboro, Winchester, or Elizabethtown. Other people like a more educated white collar place like Lexington or Florence. We all pay taxes to the same state.
Different strokes for different folks is certainly understandable and I get it. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Irishmom...that pub at the mall is horrible...I agree with you on that but P.F. Changs isn't too bad.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top